Xiaomi is reviving Android One with the Mi A1 smartphone. Created by Xiaomi and Powered by Google?

AlTech

3 Years ago, Google released Android One, a platform for Android powered smartphones in emerging markets. The aim was for Google to certify budget hardware which could run Android so OEMs in emerging markets could cheaply make Android devices and let Google data mine new customers in those markets by providing cheap phones packed with Stock Android and all the Google Services.

Xiaomi appears to be reviving the program as it's really not taken off. Since the programme's inception, only a handful of Android One devices were released.

Xiaomi is trying to fix that with their new flagship Android One smartphone "Mi A1" which is "Created by Xiaomi and Powered by Google". This is Xiaomi's first ever Stock Android phone.

Xiaomi has not been afraid to show where it took inspiration (i'll let you guess).

DI8Q4n4V4AAUm5D.0.jpg.6418aea0302adc4c716e4671ce9395af.jpg

Yup, they took inspiration from Apple.

snipt.PNG.f3cabde97d0754f56e5b15d9623b7f0e.PNG

Images from The Verge.

And in case Android fragmentation wasn't bad enough already,  Xiaomi is promising Android P support. We have no idea what Android P (it'll be the next Android version after Oreo but other than that we have no idea) will be but it's going to be supported. This device will get Android Oreo by the end of the year.

It's mainly targeted towards the Indian market (it will also come to Asia and Europe) with a decidedly mid range Snapdragon 625 System On a Chip. It also features 4GB RAM and 64GB of Storage and will be shipping for roughly 14999 Ruppees which equates to $234 USD.

The Mi A1 has Qualcomm’s increasingly ubiquitous Snapdragon 625 processor, which we’ve found to strike a great balance between performance and battery life, and a fairly standard 3080mAh battery. The phone charges over USB-C, unlike Xiaomi’s more budget-orientated offerings, and the company is even including a custom 380V charger that it says is designed to handle India’s frequent power spikes.

But the Mi A1’s most distinctive feature is its software: it runs stock Android, not Xiaomi’s own MIUI layer, and is part of Google’s Android One program. Android One launched three years ago with a focus on India as Google aimed to codify the Android experience for low-end smartphones. It hasn’t been a huge success, but Google undoubtedly wants to expand the program to a wider range of products to ensure that people continue to have access to the latest versions of its software and services.

To that end, the Mi A1 will get Android Oreo by the end of the year, and Xiaomi says it’ll be “one of the first” phones to get Android P — which we haven’t heard anything about — in 2018.

When I think of Android One, I don't think of a shiny iPhone 7 Plus rip off with a Xiaomi logo slapped on the back. But that's just my opinion. I think they should have made a cheaper SKU with less bling and tacky design.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/5/16254256/xiaomi-mi-a1-android-one-flagship-announced-india

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

China

iFake 7+

aluminium made me edit this again. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I probably getting this one since the price is great. Any idea what camera sensor it use?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

I probably getting this one since the price is great. Any idea what camera sensor it use?

It's not mentioned anywhere.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Psh saying it takes inspiration from Apple? That fingerprint sensor is clearly on the back! That's not apple like at all. Fake news! [/sarcasm]

well i dont know if im interested or not, depends on how much telemetry it grabbs from you compared to what other android phones do i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, themctipers said:

China

iFake 7+

aluminium made me edit this again. 

I think I know where they make those: it's like right around the corner from Foxconn where they make the real iphones that are totally worth 900 USD

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

depends on how much telemetry it grabbs from you compared to what other android phones do i guess

No more than your typical Google enabled device in your pocket collects.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

No more than your typical Google enabled device in your pocket collects.

huh then i am kind of interested, i wont get one because i have my eyes on the Zenphone 3 Zoom instead if my OP2 suddenly dies. its gotten pretty laggy recently and requires frequent restarts so time to root lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the MIUI version and if it will have F2FS as MIUI 9 will provide.

It is getting rather frustrating to see all these Chinese manufacturers try copy Apple in every way shape and form, let alone advertising that they are copying.

Xiaomi ,where has your sense for own design and large batteries gone??

49 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

It will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the MIUI version and if it will have F2FS as MIUI 9 will provide.

It is getting rather frustrating to see all these Chinese manufacturers try copy Apple in every way shape and form, let alone advertising that they are copying.

Xiaomi ,where has your sense for own design and large batteries gone??

well apple still doesn't sell air purifiers, TVs, clothing, air conditioners, routers, home fourniture, ebikes and nightlights like Xiaomi does, so they got that going for them.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>