Having trouble connecting 2 VM Ware machines

Go to solution Solved by Shammikit,

The

21 hours ago, Lurick said:

You're on the right track I think but try putting IP addresses that are in the subnet your local machine is on which, if the pictures are correct for VMNet1, should be 192.168.145.0/24

21 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

So you tell VMWare to use the bridged interface. Then you go to your guest, which should just see it as any other normal interface and where you should be able to manage the network settings for that guest just like on any other windows install. 

What you basicly do is taking a regular network interface, telling your hypervisor 'hey, this VM can use this regular interface' which says to your VM 'hey here is a network interface, all I and the host do is let you use it, we won't manage it for you and I'll let you think it's just any regular interface and you can manage it like it is just any regular interface'. So either you're trying the wrong things, or we don't comprehend each other, or I'm totally wrong in translating my Linux experiences into what might help on a windows machine.

I managed to solve the problem today. it didnt communicate because network discovery and file and printer sharing options were set to off in advanced sharing settings. i didnt know about this. putting both options to on state fixed it. Thanks for coming to help.

i have got VM ware workstation 12 PRO and im trying to connect a windows 10 virtual machine with a server 2012 virtual machine. i have tried many solutions shown in youtube but i haven't managed to get a single one to work. when i try to ping from server to windows 10 or windows 10 to server i get request timed out in cmd. The images below shows the settings

6.PNG

5.PNG

4.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG

Looks like they aren't on the same subnet. They need to be on the same subnet.

You could also set your vm's to use a bridged nic from your host, which would put them both on the same network as your host pc.

I can't help you with how to do that, as I don't know how to do it in windows and I don't have a windows pc to try it out, or time to try this with (nested) virt. Maybe somebody else can explain you how to do it.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

3 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

Looks like they aren't on the same subnet. They need to be on the same subnet.

You could also set your vm's to use a bridged nic from your host, which would put them both on the same network as your host pc.

I can't help you with how to do that, as I don't know how to do it in windows and I don't have a windows pc to try it out, or time to try this with (nested) virt. Maybe somebody else can explain you how to do it.

are 192.168.1.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 on the same subnet? i tried pinging the virtual machines with these 2 addresses im getting PING: transmit failed. General failure.

3 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

are 192.168.1.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 on the same subnet? i tried pinging the virtual machines with these 2 addresses im getting PING: transmit failed. General failure.

No. With a mask of 255.255.252.0 that would put 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x on the same subnet.

Right now with a 255.255.255.0 mask you have every increment in the third octet on a different subnet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

first 3 numbers of your IP need to be the same, last one must be different (like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3)

Or you could change the masks, like @Lurick said

Edited by 101dmrs

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

7 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

first 3 numbers of your IP need to be the same, last one must be different (like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3)

Or you could change the masks, like @Lurick said

tried the ip addresses (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3) u mentioned with mask 255.255.255.0 but still no good.do i have to do something in vm ware settings?

2 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

tried the ip addresses (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3) u mentioned with mask 255.255.255.0 but still no good.do i have to do something in vm ware settings?

Could be your using 2 different virtual networks, but no idea how to check/change that in windows.

Also, why are you using virtual networks instead of a bridged nic? A bridged nic is far easier for this stuff.  With KVM you can just say 'use interface xxxx in bridged mode' and your VM is connected to the same network the interface (and thus probably your host) is connected to. If you can't do such a simple thing in VMWare, then I totally don't get why people buy it (I don't get paying for software in general, but that's something else).

4 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

Could be your using 2 different virtual networks, but no idea how to check/change that in windows.

Also, why are you using virtual networks instead of a bridged nic? A bridged nic is far easier for this stuff.  With KVM you can just say 'use interface xxxx in bridged mode' and your VM is connected to the same network the interface (and thus probably your host) is connected to. If you can't do such a simple thing in VMWare, then I totally don't get why people buy it (I don't get paying for software in general, but that's something else).

using it for learning purposes. we were given the license from our uni. i just tried the bridged mode.in that cant put any ip addresses right.so how do i check if its able to connect?

14 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

i had put replicate physical connection state checked, thats why i couldnt put any ip addresses. after unchecking that option i tried the addresses 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but it was no good

6 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

i had put replicate physical connection state checked, thats why i couldnt put any ip addresses. after unchecking that option i tried the addresses 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but it was no good

You're on the right track I think but try putting IP addresses that are in the subnet your local machine is on which, if the pictures are correct for VMNet1, should be 192.168.145.0/24

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

using it for learning purposes. we were given the license from our uni. i just tried the bridged mode.in that cant put any ip addresses right.so how do i check if its able to connect?

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

So you tell VMWare to use the bridged interface. Then you go to your guest, which should just see it as any other normal interface and where you should be able to manage the network settings for that guest just like on any other windows install. 

What you basicly do is taking a regular network interface, telling your hypervisor 'hey, this VM can use this regular interface' which says to your VM 'hey here is a network interface, all I and the host do is let you use it, we won't manage it for you and I'll let you think it's just any regular interface and you can manage it like it is just any regular interface'. So either you're trying the wrong things, or we don't comprehend each other, or I'm totally wrong in translating my Linux experiences into what might help on a windows machine.

The

21 hours ago, Lurick said:

21 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

I managed to solve the problem today. it didnt communicate because network discovery and file and printer sharing options were set to off in advanced sharing settings. i didnt know about this. putting both options to on state fixed it. Thanks for coming to help.