Thoughts on the B350 Tomahawk Arctic Motherboard?

1 minute ago, johndms said:

bah, delete

Give me a sec

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

6 minutes ago, johndms said:

bah, delete

so,the mobo is all good? I can even oc,right?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

1 minute ago, JasonHS said:

so,the mobo is all good? I can even oc,right?

In my uneducated opinion, your board choice will handle typical overclocking (not 8 core Ryzen).  As long as you aren't trying to break any world records, or push 4GHz (probably not gonna happen anyways), then you'll be fine.  However, MSI just doesn't seem to be very popular to a lot of people.  Most seem to point towards Asus or ASRock.  At the very least, you have options to choose from and research to do if necessary.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

4 hours ago, johndms said:

It'll be fine.  It's not considered one of the 'better' of B350 boards in regards to VRM qualtiy and phase designs, but for a four or six-core, it'll be just fine.  If you're looking for a better recommendation, I've heard the B350 Gaming Pro Carbon, and B350 Krait Gaming are the top choices from MSI, with Asus Prime B350-Plus and ASRock AB350 Pro4 being other good choices.  Avoid Gigabyte.

If you're interested in a bit of research.. have a look at this video I bookmarked a few weeks ago.  It goes into detail on the VRMs of all the B350 boards.  Very informative in my opinion.

I agree avoid Gigabytes B350 boards all together and also don't get the Asrock ones either as they have terrible voltage controller over the doubled phased VRM its all over asrocks forums as being an issue. 

MSI's aren't complete junk i own one really i have a great experience in terms of software and the bios and i have dual rank Samsung memory and even at 1.0.0.4 i had 2933mhz fully stable now i'm at 3066mhz with actually lower timings then at stock. Board looks nice to and i think it looks better then a lot of other boards. The thing is i personally don't think the ASUS board will be much better then the MSI ones anyways as they are also 4+2 phase. 

MSI are using NIKO VRM however which isn't as good as the VRM asus is using. The NIKO vrm can't handle higher temps as long as the ASUS one for example. 

Also if you aren't even going to overclock then get what ever you like. 

Edit the more i look at it the more i like the ASUS b350 plus actually the heat-sink seems to be more of an actual heat-sink instead of a aluminum block and you get 6 sata connectors where on my Tomahawk i get 4. I do think its very ugly however but that is all personal preference. 

8 hours ago, JasonHS said:

There's a lot of buzz around the VRM,how safe would it be to try to oc my 1600?

On ASRock completely safe

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I also use the pro4 with a 1700 oc to 3.8 tho lol

8 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

No cause they think my vrms will explode...

Screenshot_20170902-083354.png

8 hours ago, TheOriginalHero said:

Ignore this. Ive got the b350 pc mate (similar board from msi) and am very happy with it at the moment. Its perfect for the r5 1600 

Why would anyone buy such junk if they know its junk?

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

'Testing B350 vrms worst case scenario'.do the vrms get very hot when the cpu is at stock speeds?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

26 minutes ago, JasonHS said:

'Testing B350 vrms worst case scenario'.do the vrms get very hot when the cpu is at stock speeds?

That is the best B350 VRM - Asus, Tomahawk has the worst. With your shitty selection maybe 70°C, here, have a look on graph. This is tomahawk with R7.

900x900px-LL-f48c18f4_16440-1493410045-4fbfb96a842844a8d4ba89d3cb5a4913.jpeg

20 minutes ago, dave_k said:

That is the best B350 VRM - Asus, Tomahawk has the worst. With your shitty selection maybe 70°C, here, have a look on graph. This is tomahawk with R7.

I think that all of the trashtalk is simply because some of you might've experienced some problems with it oe others did,but I kept on searching and no one said a word about the vrms of the tomahawk.I'd say that it could happen sometimes,but not in all cases

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

7 minutes ago, JasonHS said:

I think that all of the trashtalk is simply because some of you might've experienced some problems with it oe others did,but I kept on searching and no one said a word about the vrms of the tomahawk.I'd say that it could happen sometimes,but not in all cases

People are dumb. You dont understand just like them. It will overclock good, but it will extremely overheat (100°C heatsink means 130+°C mosfet) and will not hold up for along time. See the screenshot above. Nothing will hold up if it runs over 130°C.

Do the calculations and look on the spec sheets. I have to confirm that people on this forum lack common sense.

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

People are dumb. You dont understand just like them. It will overclock good, but it will extremely overheat (100°C heatsink means 130+°C mosfet) and will not hold up for along time. See the screenshot above. Nothing will hold up if it runs over 130°C.

Do the calculations and look on the spec sheets. I have to confirm that people on this forum lack common sense.

or you just didn't get your point clear enough. 70% of comments are: the mobo is trash/the mobo is shit.But now I get it,thank you for the support

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

8 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Also,do you claim that all the msi mobos have bad vrms or the B350 chipset in general?

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

18 minutes ago, JasonHS said:

Also,do you claim that all the msi mobos have bad vrms or the B350 chipset in general?

most of them

Carbon/Krait use the same shit components but they have twice the shit parts so they heat up less, but they have even worse aka non existent heatsinks (just solid blocks of aluminium) so i am not sure. I would expect the Carbon/Krait to heat up as much as Asus or something - they use the doubled one on X370s, so thats also shit for the price.

Carbon/Krait are very expensive compared to other B350s (even Asus) so i would recommend if you are going with all white theme and need RGB, Asus Prime X370 Pro which has very good VRM, RGB headers and white color. Zen 2 could clock higher so  the VRMs will come in handy when you upgrade to next Zen

On 9/3/2017 at 3:52 PM, dave_k said:

>1.15 to 1.25 temps seem very acceptable.

Tell me how many people are going to use 1.35-1.44V to overclock their R7s?

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

10 minutes ago, Fillypino Pride said:

>1.15 to 1.25 temps seem very acceptable.

Tell me how many people are going to use 1.35-1.44V to overclock their R7s?

Lots of people dont even know recommended voltage, bunch of people on youtube overclock Ryzen even with like 1.48V on B350 Shittyhawk

39 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Lots of people dont even know recommended voltage, bunch of people on youtube overclock Ryzen even with like 1.48V on B350 Shittyhawk

Well, I guess that's unfortunate.

But I suppose most people buying those kinds of mobos are just going to run a 1700 at most on a Wrath Spire, at stock voltage, at 3.7GHz, and be fine with it.

5 minutes ago, Fillypino Pride said:

Well, I guess that's unfortunate.

But I suppose most people buying those kinds of mobos are just going to run a 1700 at most on a Wrath Spire, at stock voltage, at 3.7GHz, and be fine with it.

Well, not entirely. The overclocking will disable powert saving features, these mobos will run at 70-75°C R7 stock. With those disabled, it can go up to 80°C, because the chip will eat as much voltage as it needs. This whole "B350 for overclocking" idea is just wrong. People dont remember AM3+ incidents, this is not much better.

Just now, dave_k said:

Well, not entirely. The overclocking will disable powert saving features, these mobos will run at 70-75°C R7 stock. With those disabled, it can go up to 80°C, because the chip will eat as much voltage as it needs. This whole "B350 for overclocking" idea is just wrong. People dont remember AM3+ incidents, this is not much better.

Well, if they could, they should have not made B350 for overclocking.

Tell me what could be the possible temps of an R7 1700 at 3.7 GHz at stock voltage?

1 minute ago, Fillypino Pride said:

Well, if they could, they should have not made B350 for overclocking.

Tell me what could be the possible temps of an R7 1700 at 3.7 GHz at stock voltage?

70°C heatsink, 80-85°C mosfet, 90-95°C semiconductor

Just now, dave_k said:

70-80°C heatsink, 85-90°C mosfet, 100°C semiconductor

Do those temperatures pose a threat on a premature hardware failure?

Just now, Fillypino Pride said:

Do those temperatures pose a threat on a premature hardware failure?

Most likely. It would be good idea to decrease VCore and undervolt the chip to 1.2V

On 9/3/2017 at 10:15 AM, JasonHS said:

I also own a B350 board from MSI and what most people say here is correct: It works and you can overclock, but the VRMs are a "fire hazard" and will die rather sooner than later with that kind of workload. Mine climb to over 100°C in under a minute easily if not cooled by a fan directly above them.

My personal advice would be: Don't get an MSI Ryzen board, you'll regret it. BUT if you really need to, try to get a really beefy top-down CPU cooler like the NH-C14S or NH-L12, this will help with VRM temps. Don't even think about water cooling since this takes away even more airflow from around the socket. (Quoting this post because the guy in the video is doing exactly that....)