AMD finally solves Ryzen linux bug

NumLock21
2 minutes ago, HisEvilness said:

Yeh I did read that part, where can I see what week my chip was produced?

probably on the box?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

probably on the box?

Yeh i got the box here but i do not know what part of any code would reveal what week it was produced, 

15 minutes ago, HisEvilness said:

I have to ask how can i check if my CPU is effected?

46 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Welp, time to RMA my 1700.

This is very specific bug that comes up under a very specific use case.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-Segv-Response

Personally I wouldn't bother with the RMA process and related wait time etc unless I run those specific workloads...

But your decision to make of course, not mine...

Just now, Humbug said:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the RMA process and related wait time etc unless I run those specific workloads...

I sometimes run a security related Linux custom OS that does lots of works loads to some extent similar to that the above article.
Just want to make sure i do not run into problems down the road.

2 hours ago, FratStar said:

Theadripper and Epyc have not been effected by the issue. Only normal Ryzen silicon have experienced the issues.

Then I wonder if the issue has to do with some sort of communication between the CPU and the chipset.

It sounds like the perfect way of handling this, offering a free replacement for anyone interested. After all, they know very well very few people are actually affected by this and will care enough to ask for a replacement.

1 hour ago, HisEvilness said:

I have to ask how can i check if my CPU is effected?

users will have to find out if their cpu is the old version or new one, by looking at the label on their cpu box

either way if you needed this functionality you'd know by now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder how many people who lost the silicon lottery will use this as an excuse to try again for a better overclocking chip.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

I wonder how many people who lost the silicon lottery will use this as an excuse to try again for a better overclocking chip.

They'll be in for a surprise when the older chips go higher. Its not like at the R7 launch where the chips clock the same anymore.

2 hours ago, HisEvilness said:

Yeh I did read that part, where can I see what week my chip was produced?

Looks like serial number on box won't help. Have to look at cpu itself luckily, these new ryzen have a cut out window. 

It's the batch number. 

E.g. 

UA 1706PGT

17 is 2017

06 is week 6 

so 1706 means week 6 of the year 2017

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Yeah, I just personally don't want to keep something with a defect. They say heavy compilation on linux, but not on Windows? Rather be safe than sorry.

3 hours ago, HisEvilness said:

Yeh i got the box here but i do not know what part of any code would reveal what week it was produced, 

It's not on the box, it's on the HIS aka, gotta pull that cooler off.

I'll install linux and bench it. So much headache with ryzen, gosh.

47 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Looks like serial number on box won't help. Have to look at cpu itself luckily, these new ryzen have a cut out window. 

It's the batch number. 

E.g. 

UA 1706PGT

17 is 2017

06 is week 6 

so 1706 means week 6 of the year 2017

Well will have a look when i put in the new mobo this month i guess and find out.

22 minutes ago, HisEvilness said:

Well will have a look when i put in the new mobo this month i guess and find out.

The number is directly on the cpu ihs. You can see it from the box cut out window.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, dexT said:

They'll be in for a surprise when the older chips go higher. Its not like at the R7 launch where the chips clock the same anymore.

I can't find any news about this, is this a problem someone's tested or is it just word of mouth?

I would expect newer CPU's to clock better due to process and design adjustments.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

9 hours ago, Tenelia said:

Let us take a moment to recall that Intel has a track record of refusing such things...

I was wondering how long it would be before someone had an unnecessary dig at Intel,  less than 20 posts GG LTT.

It seems it doesn't only have to be a negative news story about AMD for people to bring Intel into it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

I can't find any news about this, is this a problem someone's tested or is it just word of mouth?

I would expect newer CPU's to clock better due to process and design adjustments.

All of the best dies go to Threadrippah and EPYC chips instead of going to the R7 line now. At launch the chips weren't binned as tight as they are now either so 1700/X rarely do 4/4.1.

Someone has binned a lot of R7, I dont believe there's any chance of the details being in an article or youtube video though.. I dont even get the full details and testing procedure lol.

"Hey everybody AMD has a bug in Linux!" 

-"buuuu!"

"Hey everybody AMD finally fixes the issue"

-"Took them long enough the bastards"

You people don't deserve 6 core chips for cheap.

-------

Current Rig

-------