Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB

Go to solution Solved by hammer3339,
3 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Keep in mind that the cheapest GTX 1050 here costs $150 (USD), so it may still be a good deal, but I don't, you tell me :S...

yeah, for the same price as a 1050 its worth it, if you can't find anything more powerful like a 780/780ti for a similar price.

I'd buy it in that case :)

I just found this graphics card cheaper than a GTX 1050, it's "new" (sealed) and from a reputable seller. Should I go for it? It has a 1-year warranty with Gigabyte. I was saving money for an X370 motherboard, but maybe I should prioritize this (if it's indeed a good deal).

How much? I have the Gigayte Windforce GTX 960 OC and it's been great for 1080p 60hz. If it's over $200USD I would skip it though. I think you can get newer and better for about the same.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

as a owner of the 2GB MSI edition I would say - your choise. Ive heard that the 960 is too weak for 4GB VRAM but (at least my) is a phenomenal overclocker so with nice cooler you can get a lot from it - 1080p gaming is no problem whatsoever on high settings

also as an owner of x370 asrock killer sli with ryzen 5 1500x  I can guarantee that you wont have any problems with a combo like this,

BUT if you have some older CPU (I have experience with q6600 and athlon 760k) the 960 will be bottlenecked a lot - Assassin screed Syndycate wasnt playable even on lowest settings and resolution with the mentioned above CPUs - switching to 1500x easy 40-50 fps on 1080p med settings being hold back only by the 2 GB of VRAM (the core never reaches 100% load..)

it's a decent little card for mid settings at 1080p, wouldn't pay more than probably 100USD, can normally get them for 150 to 200 AUD here in Aus which is normally a 50% markup on US prices

8 minutes ago, asand1 said:

How much? I have the Gigayte Windforce GTX 960 OC and it's been great for 1080p 60hz. If it's over $200USD I would skip it though. I think you can get newer and better for about the same.

It's at $145, but the cheapest GTX 1050 in my country costs $150. The motherboard that I was saving money for is at around $240, I'm quite close to it. If you tell me that it's a good deal, then I have no problem with waiting a little bit more for the other components and going for this graphics card.

9 minutes ago, komar said:

as a owner of the 2GB MSI edition I would say - your choise. Ive heard that the 960 is too weak for 4GB VRAM but (at least my) is a phenomenal overclocker so with nice cooler you can get a lot from it - 1080p gaming is no problem whatsoever on high settings

I only plan to play games like Metro and BF at 60FPS capped, 1080p if possible.

6 minutes ago, komar said:

also as an owner of x370 asrock killer sli with ryzen 5 1500x  I can guarantee that you wont have any problems with a combo like this,

BUT if you have some older CPU (I have experience with q6600 and athlon 760k) the 960 will be bottlenecked a lot - Assassin screed Syndycate wasnt playable even on lowest settings and resolution with the mentioned above CPUs - switching to 1500x easy 40-50 fps on 1080p med settings being hold back only by the 2 GB of VRAM (the core never reaches 100% load..)

I don't have a PC yet, I was saving money for that motherboard I mentioned. If you tell me whether the GTX 960 4Gb is a good deal or not, I might go for it before the seller runs out of stock. 

5 minutes ago, hammer3339 said:

it's a decent little card for mid settings at 1080p, wouldn't pay more than probably 100USD, can normally get them for 150 to 200 AUD here in Aus which is normally a 50% markup on US prices

Keep in mind that the cheapest GTX 1050 here costs $150 (USD), so it may still be a good deal, but I don't, you tell me :S...

3 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

yeah, for the same price as a 1050 its worth it, if you can't find anything more powerful like a 780/780ti for a similar price.

I'd buy it in that case :)

22 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I payed around 270 USD for my 2GB year and something ago so 150 for the 4GB one  - i would definitely  go for it since the 1050ti  is more expensive.

Bare in mind tho - you will need 6 or maybe 8 pin PCIe power from the PSU.

i was lucky and got a 960 4gb for my father for a hundred bucks AUD to replace his ancient AMD hd7770 lol, gets about triple the frame-rate now on his little i3 6100 rig when see him

I just ordered it, it arrives tomorrow 30th or thursday 1st. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I got my 2 GB card for $160 back 2 years ago. While that 2 GB limit is a thorn, the price difference for the 4 GB model was not at all worth considering.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I got my 2 GB card for $160 back 2 years ago. While that 2 GB limit is a thorn, the price difference for the 4 GB model was not at all worth considering.

I found a GTX 960 4GB new for $150, so I decided to purchase it yesterday because these guys told me it's a good deal. The only current-gen GPUs you can find for that price in my country are the GTX 1050 and the RX 560 2GB.

What do you think? Is it a good buy now in 2017?