i7 7740X vs i7 7700k

So I was putting together my CPU for upcoming build, and was wondering, should I go with an X299 Chipset CPU like the i7 7740X or should I go with the kinda older X99 I7 7700k.

If you have other CPU suggestions please also say them here.

1 minute ago, r3zoar said:

So I was putting together my CPU for upcoming build, and was wondering, should I go with an X299 Chipset CPU like the i7 7740X or should I go with the kinda older X99 I7 7700k.

If you have other CPU suggestions please also say them here.

Wait for the Core i7-8700K.

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Wait for the Core i7-8700K.

When is the estimated release date for that?

Screw Intel, go x399 and get Thread Ripper xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7700K is on z270 chipset and was released in january of this year btw

1 hour ago, TSL said:

7700K is on z270 chipset and was released in january of this year btw

Just realized I got that wrong in initial post.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Screw Intel, go x399 and get Thread Ripper xD 

I dont like AMD as much as intel though, Ive always used Intel processors.

Just now, TSL said:

unfortunately threadripper isn't 4 cores which seems to be what OP is looking for

No its way more than that and better in every way xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, TSL said:

unfortunately threadripper isn't 4 cores which seems to be what OP is looking for

Im looking for a high core count if possible. I would like this PC to be able to render games at ultra or 4K settings. Plan on playing games like Star Citizen with it.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Also, the 7740X and 7700K are exactly the same die, so you'd be paying up for a bigger socket and a better motherboard. 

As stated here they are the same thing, but you pay twice as much for the 7740X motherboard, with NO extra benefits or technologies on the board - seriously, none!

Just now, r3zoar said:

Im looking for a high core count if possible. I would like this PC to be able to render games at ultra or 4K settings. Plan on playing games like Star Citizen with it.

The Core i7-7820X is a good option. It will be release shortly. 

2 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

in this case i recommend the AMD ryzen 1700 or 1700x. they have 8 cores and 16 threads and cost about as much as the 7700k but will have similar performance in games that are cpu intensive and can utilise that many threads

So in conclusion to this, some people are saying wait for new processors, others say go with the old ones on the motherboards that wont cost your kidney. I think I may go with the I7-7700k Then.

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

It's already released m8

4 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

Then you might want an R7 1700.

This is the first time in a long time that AMD has released a good CPU.  And it's really good.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

If you're  going to pay $600 then you should get Threadripper.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, TSL said:

in this case i recommend the AMD ryzen 1700 or 1700x. they have 8 cores and 16 threads and cost about as much as the 7700k but will have similar performance in games that are cpu intensive and can utilise that many threads

Are you limited though to AMD Gpus with an AMD CPU in a system, ive never had one with AMD as the CPU before.

Just now, r3zoar said:

Are you limited though to AMD Gpus with an AMD CPU in a system, ive never had one with AMD as the CPU before.

No, any GPU will work.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is the first time in a long time that AMD has released a good CPU.  And it's really good.

What about threadripper, is that a better choice than Ryzen 7?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

They said they wanted to stick with Intel. If somebody wants a part from a specific brand I respect their preference instead of busting their balls to get a competitors product.

1 minute ago, r3zoar said:

No not at all, the only thing that is different is the chip (obviously) and the motherboard since it is a different socket. but motherboard manufacturers implement the same technologies and bells and whistles you could want on both amd and intel sockets

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

They said they wanted to stick with Intel. If somebody wants a part from a specific brand I respect their preference instead of busting their balls to get a competitors product.

I would be willing to switch to AMD, if the performance is much much better and stable, and its cheaper for me.