Reliable Company or Reliable PSU?

Hello,

I'm getting a PSU for $80 and I found 2 good ones, a 750w by Corsair and a 850w by Rosewill. Reviews on the Corsair say it doesn't last that long, but hey it's by Corsair. However people are saying really good reviews on the Rosewill, but no one knows much about Rosewill. What should I do?

@STRMfrmXMN is going to need to chime in here, but just looking at some jonnyguru testing of the newer version of the CX750M, the SeaSonic G-750 seems like a better choice for about the same price 

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

@STRMfrmXMN is going to need to chime in here, but just looking at some jonnyguru testing of the newer version of the CX750M, the SeaSonic G-750 seems like a better choice for about the same price 

Yes, the G-750 is a better unit.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBones said:

Hello,

I'm getting a PSU for $80 and I found 2 good ones, a 750w by Corsair and a 850w by Rosewill. Reviews on the Corsair say it doesn't last that long, but hey it's by Corsair. However people are saying really good reviews on the Rosewill, but no one knows much about Rosewill. What should I do?

The Glacier isn't a great unit so the CX750M would be better but as yoshi pointed out, the Seasonic G-series 750W would be better.

What are your system specs? Most people looking at a 750W unit have something like GTX 1080s in SLI.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Rosewill is Newegg's brand of power supply. They do contracts with various power supply manufacturers and sell their models under their brands.

Same shit that Corsair does.

The Glacier series is produced by Andyson and looking at a review for the 600w and the insides, I'd say it's decent. It would last its warranty period and more, it's not crap.

CX-M (CX750M) from Corsair is made by CWT and based on some review looks a bit better than the Rosewill psu.

Anyway. you'd have to think if you really need so much wattage because most likely you could do fine with just 650w, in which case for the same money you could maybe go for a Seasonic gold efficiency power supply with 7+ years warranty, good fans etc

Why don't you list the components of your system and  your budget so we can tell you how much your system will use and then suggest power supplies in your budget

The need for a new PSU (and also motherboard) came from when I was an idiot and bought a PSU with no brand name and fried my motherboard :P I wasn't sure if that was covered in my warrenty so I'd just get new ones. I have a $200 budget for new mb and PSU. For motherboard I'm getting the same one I had because it worked fine and it was only $120. The need for a new PSU was because I recently bought a second GTX 960 EVGA SSC 2GB (SLI) and my 500w wasn't enough wattage. 

Rig: 

Spoiler

-Processor: AMD

FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

-Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

-Graphics: STRIX GeForce GTX 960 Overclocked 2 GB x2

-RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB), and HP 4GB and HP 2GB

-Old PSU: EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

First monitor: Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display (144Hz Refresh Rate)

-Second Monitor: 22-inch Full HD 1080p 1ms Dual HDMI

-Third Monitor: 22-inch LED 1080p 5ms

-Case: Deepcool TX Mid Tower Tesseract

-Motherboard: Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura ATX DDR3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD

-Keyboard: Magic Eagle Havit Game Series

-Mouse: Logitech g502

I plan on streaming/recording medium-quality games, occasionally FPS.

Oh man if you had the budget right now, I would have encouraged you to go with a x370 based board (for crossfire/sli otherwise for single video card systems a cheaper b350 based board would be fine) and a ryzen 1600 or 1700 and 8 gigs of DDR4 and sell the old fx8350 and the memory on ebay to recover some of the money. Then buy 8 more gigs with the money you get.

Better than investing in old hardware.

As for power consumption, a plain GTX960 will use at most 120 watts. Even overclocked, two cards in SLI won't use more than 150w per card or around 300w per card.

The rest of your system won't use more than 150-200 watts

So you'll need less than 500w on the 12v rail, which is something that almost any 620-650w power supply is  capable of providing, and most have 4 pci-e connectors to get your cards functional without adapters.

Absolute cheapest I can recommend and it's very safe buy and with long warranty is Seasonic S12ii (NOT modular) at 50$ : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&ignorebbr=1

On the cheaper end you have Seasonic M12II 620w (modular) at 60$ : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&ignorebbr=1

Old bronze efficiency design from Seasonic, will probably be replaced with new series in winter this year but still has 5 year warranty, very good stability and internal components, reliable etc

There's the semi-modular gold efficiency Seasonic SSR-650RM at 80$ : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118&ignorebbr=1

And you have also an almost modular (looks like just the power cable is fixed) EVGA GQ series 650w psu : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059&ignorebbr=1

Listing it because it has a $20 off rebate card, from 90$ down to 70$ and that puts it into the great value for performance territory.

Any higher and you go into Antec HCG (seasonic inside) , evga supernova (good superflower gold efficiency design) , Corsair TX-M (but honestly too lazy to look up who makes this revision of TX these days, Corsair shuffles OEMs a lot),  Seasonic X series (I own the X650 version , love it) , Corsair RMx ...

If you think you'll eventually sell the old 960 cards to get a single 1070 or 1080, them even the lowest 620w ones would be kinda oversize for you, but they'll work great as their fans won't spin a lot to push out heat so you'll have a more silent pc.

For example... do this:

$110 Ryzen 1200 (with stock cooler included) , it's by default maybe around 10-20% slower than FX-8350 but uses half as much power. The idea is to buy it now and maybe sell it later for something like 70-80$ and upgrade to a 1700 or something when you have the cash.

$77 8 GB DDR4 2667 Mhz (ideally you want 3000 .. 3200 Mhz memory, Ryzen likes very high frequency ram)

If you can give up SLI (because B350 chipset can't do SLI) , you could go with something like

$75 Asrock AB350M Pro4  - has two pci-e x16 slots but second slot is only x4 and from chipset, so no SLI support.

$90 MSI B350 PC MATE AM4 - has usb type c  and some PCI slots if you have some older stuff you still care about (for example tv tuners, creative sound cards)

$90 (on sale now, 20$ off) ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4  - good overclocking potential, nice layout of slots, nice heatsinks

If you insist on SLI you need to go for x370 boards, cheapest I would recommend would be

130$ MSI X370 GAMING PLUS AM4

130$ (on sale now, 30$ off from $160, and extra 20$ off rebate card ASRock Fatal1ty X370 GAMING X

and so on..

The FX-8350 is listed on eBay for anything between around $70 and $120, so if you list your cpu as buy it now 80$ i'm sure you'll find a buyer super fast.

For a 16 GB DDR3 kit, I'm not sure how much you'd get, as there's loads of them... but I bet it's somewhere between $30 and 50$

So the point is.. borrow 120-150$ and get a motherboard and then use your 200$ budget on cpu, psu and memory.  Then when you sell the ram and old memory, give back the cash you borrowed.

And when you find some more money, put the cheap CPU on eBay for 20% off the retail price and since it's relatively new cpu, you're probably gonna sell it easily. Just add the difference and get Ryzen 1600 or 1700 or something.