Google to push employees to use Macs

Kirihuna

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34189/google-pushes-its-employees-to-use-macs-not-its-own-os-or-windows/index.html

For some reason I can't copy and paste an excerpt from that website, but whatever.

According to Google's chairman, he thinks that Macs are like iPhones and Android. He says that people who moved from PCs (Windows / Linux) to Mac never switched back like how people switch from iPhone to Android and never switch back.

I'm one of those few people who went from Android to iOS to Android to iOS again, but I can see where he's coming from. Personally after buying a Mac, I won't buy another laptop that isn't a Mac again.

Sure, they're a heft price, but the build quality, feel, keyboard, monitor, and track pad has been the best thing I've ever used.

Plus it's easier to install Windows on a Mac than a OS X on a non Mac, especially on a laptop. That's a bugger to do.

edit: Here's another link

http://bgr.com/2013/11/28/mac-chromebook-google-employees/

"In a presentation at the LISA ’13 conference earlier this month, Google explained that it’s managing a fleet of over 43,000 Macs its employees use, without much help from Apple."

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

probably don't want to invest in anything Microsoft after Microsft's "Scroogled" campaign.

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

It's an interesting point you made. I wonder when will there be a pc company that'll like Google's Nexus line where they give a great phone without a premium price. I do have to agree that I have yet to see a laptop built as great as a macbook. Even though the prices are way too high, I always feel that there's no competitor that'll match the specs and design for a more fair price.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I don't really see the reasoning besides sticking it to Microsoft, although I wish they would stick it to Apple instead somehow...

Personally I wouldn't get a mac over a PC. I have to ure them at school and my sister has a mac book pro and I am not really that impressed. If I had to I would make it a dual boot to Windows or Linux.

Edit: But I do like your point of laptops. I would agree that my moms Asus laptops keyboard and trackpad do not compare to my sisters macbook pro. But my friends Lenovo Y510p is super nice IMO. I guess for laptops I would use a Mac, but for a desktop, I would much rather have a PC.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Edit: But I do like your point of laptops. I would agree that my moms Asus laptops keyboard and trackpad do not compare to my sisters macbook pro. But my friends Lenovo Y510p is super nice IMO. I guess for laptops I would use a Mac, but for a desktop, I would much rather have a PC.

100% agree on that

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

probably don't want to invest in anything Microsoft after Microsft's "Scroogled" campaign.

If that's the case, then I don't blame them.

COMIC SANS

In all reality, Microsoft could give a f*ck less at this point. Microsoft makes 2 Billion dollars a year off of Google for Android. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I don't really see how anyone is surprised by this. This also has nothing to do with the Scroogle campaign. People in the software development industry have been using Mac for a while now.

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

You pay for what you get, Macs have great build quality and specs although what puts me off getting one is a lack of a touchscreen and the whole retina thing annoys me because it's not a standard everyone else uses as well as the lack of upgradability they have these days.

I'm planning on getting an Aspire S7 for university next year and they're the only laptop I feel reaches the premium quality and feel that a MBP has. And it isn't a cheap laptop either so there's a reason other companies don't do it, it's expensive.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

You pay for what you get, Macs have great build quality and specs although what puts me off getting one is a lack of a touchscreen and the whole retina thing annoys me because it's not a standard everyone else uses as well as the lack of upgradability they have these days.

I'm planning on getting an Aspire S7 for university next year and they're the only laptop I feel reaches the premium quality and feel that a MBP has. And it isn't a cheap laptop either so there's a reason other companies don't do it, it's expensive.

Samsung Ativ book 9....

Amazing laptop. 3200X1800 display and it's macbook air thin!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Samsung Ativ book 9....

Does it have the build quality though? I know it integrates really well with the galaxy line-up which is great if you've got one but it is Samsung and they're not exactly well known for their build quality when it comes to consumer electronics of late :P

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

If anything, it's probably for developer reasons (or because they don't want people gaming on the computers :lol: ).... like making chrome work better on OSX?  

[rant]

OSX is great isn't it... lousy windows re-sizing, improper folder syncing, task dock that can't handle more than a few running apps and can't return minimized items without mouse clicking, needs another drive just to recover anything...  Bad hardware experience?  Overheated hard drives?  Just get the latest model with SSD and more efficient processors.  How can you feel bad with all the sexy aluminum, I'm sure you can forgive apple for the lack of engineering of vibration and heat dissipation.  Oh yeah, forget about real buttons plus use the high latency track pads... will feel like flying through the air.  :rolleyes:

People buy super cheap "PC's" and then then complain about build quality. This compounded by Dell and HP bloating up the computers.  If people spent $1K-2K on high end laptops or business versions (with no bloatware), it blows the doors off the macs.  

[/rant]

My Rigs (past and present)

I like mac laptops I don't see why not, and for visual editing it makes perfect sense.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all reality, Microsoft could give a f*ck less at this point. Microsoft makes 2 Billion dollars a year off of Google for Android. 

Not from google, but from android handset manufacturers. And Google could care less.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

i have had a mac and it died on me because it just could not do what i asked it..... 

if i bought a laptop i would go for a mac though.........

desktop will always be a windows rig.....

I look at it this way. Apple is for lets say your average mom/grandma they just want it to work... apple is good at stuff just working.

windows/android is for power users.. or people who don't mid that there are a few bugs and things like that....

Im not hating on mac i love mac but windows is just better for gaming.......

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Problem with all the comparisons is people compare a mid or low end PC to high end macs because high end is all they make. Compare high end to high end and they are pretty freaking similar.

Does it have the build quality though? I know it integrates really well with the galaxy line-up which is great if you've got one but it is Samsung and they're not exactly well known for their build quality when it comes to consumer electronics of late :P

Mobiletech review has a great video showcasing it. It's one of the best Ultrabooks out there right now.

Hail Sithis!

"PCs (Windows / Linux) to Mac never switched back"

pretty sure he is talking about the OS since he mentioned Linux

OSX for me is frustrating to use

i switched back

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Samsung Ativ book 9....

But the MBA has HD 5000 while the ATIV has like 4400 or 4600. There's a lot of lag at times I hear. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

You realize that this isn't because of Scroogled right? They had Macs before that. They had Macs when it was Lion. Second article linked said they went from Lion to Mountain Lion. Now they're going to Mavericks. This has been around for two years at least, almost three years maybe.