Reinstalling Windows Without Losing Programs (Mobo Swap)

acsemler

Hey guys, just need a little bit of advice on what to do for installing Windows 10. Just recently built a new Ryzen system and I don't really like this motherboard (ASRock killer x370 sli/ac) and want to swap to another one (TBD). I wanted to know if it's possible to reinstall Windows and keep all my programs while at the same time make a major hardware change. The reason I'm hoping this is possible is because it takes roughly an entire day to download, install, and tweak my programs and I really don't have the time to do that. Thanks!

You could just swap the board and not reinstall Windows.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

You could just swap the board and not reinstall Windows.

The issue with just doing that though is the driver conflicts between boards. I'd have to track down every driver for my current board and uninstall it before switching over. I know that's been done plenty of times and there are tutorials on it, but I honestly don't feel like putting in that kind of effort if other options are out there. I know that you can reinstall Windows and keep your programs, but I'm not sure if that means it will also keep drivers. If it doesn't then that's fantastic and I'm done here, but again I don't know if that's the case.

Nope.

Make a list of your programs on google docs or something and reinstall them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It doesn't make sense. And I doubt you will have mobo driver conflicts. However, its always a good idea to fresh install every once and a while, depending on your use case.

Computers r fun

After almost no deliberation or thought whatsoever I've decided I'm just going to swap the boards without changing anything and whatever happens, happens. My motivation to do this properly was short lived, and that will probably bite me in the ass somehow when I go to do the swap but whatever. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

I don't know how to reinstall windows without losing programs, but I do know how to reinstall windows without losing your files. Tell me if you want to know.