[Updated] Samsung Galaxy Note8 launched, priced $930 unlocked in the US

captain_to_fire
3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

contract will prevent you from changing your plan to something better if they restructure their pricing.

this seems to be a very American thing where contracts can change during the contract period and you aren't allowed to change the bundle

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I think Canada still does 2-year contracts unlike in the US where you cna ditch a carrier anytime. 

but you still have to pay for the phone.....

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

37 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Be aware that when you buy on a contract like that, the cost of the phone is far more than $1k.  You can spend 1/3 to 1/2 more than the list price of the phone.  Not to mention that a contract will prevent you from changing your plan to something better if they restructure their pricing.

Yep but putting 1k up front IS kinda insane for a phone. Also generally in Canada when your in a cell contract it doesn't get changed till its run out. I think its mostly a US thing where they will arbitrarily change contract terms when ever they want

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Meh...

Still not as good nor as interesting as Sharp Aquos R with 120hz screen or Nokia 9 with Carl Zeis Optics.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I think it's going to be anything but a flop. It has a lot of features people were wanting in the S line, in a package that's not that much bigger than the S8+.

The headphone audio has been worked on with AKG, so it should definitely be an improvement. I think LG will still be the superior choice though.

You wouldn't even have to make it that heavy! There's loads of phones with massive batteries in very small packages. Just look at the Zenfone 3 Zoom. They have to make room for the pen though, and they don't want a repeat of last year, so I guess some sacrifices have to be made.

How is it lacking spec wise? Sure, it doesn't have 8GB of RAM, but it seems to check the boxes with everything else.

I agree about the fingerprint sensor though, what a stupid place to put it.

Yeah its true that they would want to play with the battery safety and not overdo it like last year fireworks was xD, but there is literally no excuse for Samsung, the company that claims to be the most innovative in the mobile world, not to put in some extra thickness on the phone other than cost savings, trend following and making users feel forced to upgrade to the next phone :/.

64GB standard at over 999€ or 870£ is too much for me too (the RAM i know will always be controversial with Samsung software, on their phones at least. I read people comments on Youtube who imported the S8/S8+ with 6GB of RAM and still find it not to be very good at multitasking, which is disappointing considering the steep price increase, and since the Note 8 shares the same type of memory and CPU who knows if it wont start shutting down tasks like a hunter would shoot down pigeons with only 3 apps in the background xD).

If the phone had 128GB standard memory and adopted the long awaited UFS card slot to replace the microSD one (i want to see that happening :/) it could justify its pricepoint better, but if the iPhone 8 is coming with 64, 256 and 512 of NVME like storage then the Note 8 just lost in the memory department and not because of numbers alone.

But hey thats just for me xD, its a good phone but nothing crazy good and in fact im starting to think the Nokia 8 is one of the best flagship phones of the year since it has most of what the Note 8 has except for the S-Pen, some features and water resistant at almost 500€ lower at 575€ vs 1030€ on the Note.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

64 GB of internal storage seems so small compared with the rumored 512GB option in the upcoming iPhone 8.

but it comes with a micro SD card slot that the iPhone doesn't have. But I still think the Note 8 is a bit overpriced especially the fact that it doesn't use NVMe SSD storage like the iPhone 6s and beyond.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, anthonyjc2010 said:

That seems... preposterous.

It's an overstatement for sure, but nonetheless the phone charges extremely fast.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

15 hours ago, Goku-sama said:

If the phone had 128GB standard memory and adopted the long awaited UFS card slot to replace the microSD one (i want to see that happening :/) it could justify its pricepoint better, but if the iPhone 8 is coming with 64, 256 and 512 of NVME like storage then the Note 8 just lost in the memory department and not because of numbers alone.

It makes me wonder if the pricing of the Note 8 is justified or it is Samsung's way of recovering their financial losses from all of the Note 7 recalls. 

At $960 USD, if this thing sells well (which it probably will), it'll drive up the price of flagship phones by quite a bit.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

If they sold this phone with:

-a removable battery

-no fucking Bixby button

-a 3500mah battery

-stock android

Then it would be worth the price. As is....looks like a cheap toy that you buy to keep up with the Joneses.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, hey_yo_ said:

3.5 mm headphone jack

SIGN ME UP FAM

Meh

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

14 minutes ago, PepperButt said:

SIGN ME UP FAM

As long as you have $930 for a 64 GB phone without NVME. For me personally, the lack of headphone jack is fine as long as I get loud stereo speakers and NVME storage for less than the Note 8 price. 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

As long as you have $930 for a 64 GB phone without NVME. For me personally, the lack of headphone jack is fine as long as I get loud stereo speakers and NVME storage for less than the Note 8 price. 

What speeds are the iphones writes/reads?

8 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

What speeds are the iphones writes/reads?

It may not be as fast as NVME SSDs for computers but it's still very fast for a phone 

IMG_5810.thumb.PNG.a4acc45b9e606e44cfbb0a0cf75b710b.PNG

Other smartphones are still using eMMC for storage 

Edited by hey_yo_

For Basically over $1000 after taxes and such I Find the Note 8 way over priced.  If your going to charge that much it Needs Dual Speakers & Fix that finger Print. 3300mah Is too small. Thoese are my main compaints but at this price in 2017 Almost 2018 it should be more well rounded not some obvious flaws. 

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It may not be as fast as NVME SSDs for computers but it's still very fast for a phone 

My S8+ gets 786MB/s Read and 174MB/s Writes so i don't see why the Note 8 will be any different.

This phone may be considered expensive by the individual but the hardware is not really overpriced in relation to comparable devices.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

IMG_5810.thumb.PNG.a4acc45b9e606e44cfbb0a0cf75b710b.PNG

And here is a benchmark from an S8 with UFS 2.1

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/ufs-2-0-2-1-identify-flash-chip-s8-t3601656

I know you think I phone is the best in terms of performance but Samsung literally makes the chips for NVME. The Note 8 with have the same storage which is faster than the iphone 7. By quite a bit actually.

mmexport1492853705972.jpg?key=PbB2XdzGuZF5We7mIOxKFQ&ts=1503670459

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

And here is a benchmark from an S8 with UFS 2.1

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/ufs-2-0-2-1-identify-flash-chip-s8-t3601656

I know you think I phone is the best in terms of performance but Samsung literally makes the chips for NVME. The Note 8 with have the same storage which is faster than the iphone 7. By quite a bit actually.

mmexport1492853705972.jpg?key=PbB2XdzGuZF5We7mIOxKFQ&ts=1503670459

Futuremark says otherwise and Samsung didn't shipped all their Galaxy S8's with UFS 2.1 for storage which Samsung didn't include in the fine print.