Whats the difference between a normal wifi network and the 5G network

Hi all,

When it comes to wifi connections, I have noticed that my normal wifi connection is using the 802.11n protocol, runs at speeds of 72mbps and has a network band of 2.4GHz. On the 5G network, it is using the 802.11ac protocol, runs at speeds of 400+ mbps and has a network band of 5.0GHz. I was just wanting to know what the difference is between the two wifi connections and why there are two wifi connections. 

My understanding is the frequency, with larger frequency you can send the same sized packages but at much faster rate since the frequency of each recieve is much bigger. Also its less disturbed since its totally different frequency. i am not even sure if this is right though.

some explanation, though not scientific or the working behin it https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

Think of AC as a successor to the 'N' standard. AC supports higher speeds than N but AC only supports the 5GHz spectrum; while N supports both. The higher the bandwidth, the less further it travels but the speed is stronger, theoretically. 

This article sums it up pretty nicely.

I produce music!

3 minutes ago, Windows2000 said:

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

One question: Why does the "N" standard even exist if the AC standard delivers higher speeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

Older devices don't support AC.

Almost all new devices support AC, but are backwards compatible with N.

Wireless stuff tends to stay around a while because a lot of consumers don't upgrade.

N will eventually be phased out, but it will be a long long time.

Thanks for your help everyone!

The speed of 5GHz Wi-Fi is higher and it’s also much less susceptible to interference as it doesn’t operate in the 2.4GHz band used by many other electronics.

As a consequence, however, effective range is lower and is not as good in a place with a lot of thick walls and buildings primarily built with concrete.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1