How often do you update the BIOS on your system?

This was a question in my mind ever since updating the BIOS on my laptop not too ago (annoyingly within Windows as I recently just found out that there is actually a simple utility in the BIOS itself that does the same thing and tends to be more reliable due to less conflicts. Ugh, but at least it's working).

Just how often do some of you guys update the BIOS?

It's been a general rule to only update your BIOS when it is absolutely necessary, like when you have some sort of issue that you need fixed and a BIOS update has that fix listed in its changelog, and that if it's just general tweaks that change very little, if at all, then you should ignore it.

But I know some people who update their BIOS a little too often, and that really got me asking on whether there are people who actually update their BIOS when there's an update available, even though they really didn't need to.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

My laptop and desktop: never, there's no need to

if i have to

otherwise, no, not worth the risk

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

only if i really need to like i had to do with ryzen that was the first bios i ever updated 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Unless there is a feature or the BIOS is broken, there is no need to update it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

That's really my thoughts.

I only updated because the GL502 on its original BIOS ran warm and the version it's currently on helps make it more manageable and maintains boosted clocks as a result.

I'll more than likely keep it the way it is, because so far, there isn't anything seriously wrong with it apart from a BSOD caused by netio.sys, which I traced to the GameFirst software. I mean, if it works really well and there are no issues, let alone serious ones, why risk breaking your system?

I mean, sure, it has a backup BIOS, but is it really worth the hassle?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Also, a little PSA from yours truly.

If you do choose to update your BIOS (and I really hope it's for a good reason like better overclocking support, an issue that's fixed or recovering from a botched install that renders the PC unbootable if possible and not "I want the latest version"), many recommend doing so using a utility within the BIOS itself.

While you can flash through Windows and many of these utilities have gotten better and more stable over the years, that's still an unsatisfactory way of flashing a file that's vital to your PC working as a Windows environment has the potential for more things to go wrong due to more processes running and you'd want to hope that Windows doesn't crash or does something funny to the utility, especially since a broken BIOS pretty much always means that your system will do a ded.

In short, if you need (yes, need because hardly anyone "wants" to update a BIOS) to update it, I recommended doing so within the BIOS itself as it's safer due to much fewer chances of anything going wrong and causing your system to go to the Great PCMR Throne in the sky.

(Seriously, I'm not kidding. A BIOS update is one of those things that you need to work 150% of the time. Unlike a Windows update, where you can do a System Restore to hopefully fix it, when a BIOS update is borked, unless your motherboard has a dual BIOS or it has a way to recover via a USB stick, just don't do it when you don't need to and if you need to, do it 150% right, that is right file, no corruption, doing everything to make sure there's extremely few chances of failure, etc.)

I never update the BIOS unless there's a specific reason for it, not worth risking it otherwise.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

if i have to

otherwise, no, not worth the risk

1 hour ago, JR1911 said:

I never update the BIOS unless there's a specific reason for it, not worth risking it otherwise.

Risk of WHAT? o.O

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Risk of WHAT? o.O

my psu exploding on me 

power going out

tripping the breaker (i have too many things plugged into the one outlet in my room)

power going out (theres construction going on)

power going out (power is dangled through trees)

USB being a bitch (only two usb ports on my motherboard work at this point, and all i have are cheap lexar flash drives)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

my psu exploding on me 

power going out

tripping the breaker (i have too many things plugged into the one outlet in my room)

power going out (theres construction going on)

power going out (power is dangled through trees)

USB being a bitch (only two usb ports on my motherboard work at this point, and all i have are cheap lexar flash drives)

So?  Pull the chip and flash it externally.  All you need is a BusPirate or something.

You guys are just cowards. :P

IMG_20170722_174638.thumb.jpg.11b9534a3a00b9ff3499ceacbef176a1.jpg

So?  Pull the chip and flash it externally.

You guys are just cowards. :P

IMG_20170722_174638.thumb.jpg.11b9534a3a00b9ff3499ceacbef176a1.jpg

there is no chip on my motherboard. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Never, havent updated the BIOS in my Hero VIII and I dont intend to unless I have to or I gain alot of functionality. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

there is no chip on my motherboard. 

Yes, yes there is.  There is a chip on EVERY motherboard that you can remove and flash.

Yes, yes there is.  There is a chip on EVERY motherboard that you can remove and flash.

not worth desoldering xD 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I update everytime there is an update. But haven't seen an update for my Z97 board in a while

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

On Project Enza, I've got 1 BIOS that is as it came, and the other was the most up to date version at the time.

Otherwise, only if it nets me OC potential or fixes something.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

not worth desoldering xD 

Coward.  We had to solder wires to the chip in the AIMB-272 because it was too small to fit into any breadboard and any wire clips were too big. :P

26 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Risk of WHAT? o.O

A hard-brick.

Granted, many modern motherboards can have some form of recovery from those, but isn’t it better to not get yourself in this situation than to try to fix it?

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

A hard-brick.

As I posted above, it's easy enough to simply remove the EPROM chip and externally flash it.

This is a different board, though the chip in the breadboard is hidden by the wires.  ...I may have purposefully bypassed all protections on the board to flash a BIOS from a different, slightly similar model on it, and had to flash it back to stock with the BusPirate. :D

I say you guys are just cowards.

FB_IMG_1488059297217.thumb.jpg.095873c5a7369003ccf74e3c69409a10.jpg

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

As I posted above, it's easy enough to simply remove the EPROM chip and externally flash it.

This is a different board, though the chip in the breadboard is hidden by the wires.  ...I may have purposefully bypassed all protections on the board to flash a BIOS from a different, slightly similar model on it, and had to flash it back to stock with the BusPirate. :D

I say you guys are just cowards.

FB_IMG_1488059297217.thumb.jpg.095873c5a7369003ccf74e3c69409a10.jpg

Except when you have a laptop >_>

Not all of us are skilled with such tools btw.

13 minutes ago, joesmith888 said:

Never but I really should do it

Why? Any particular reason other than just wanting the latest version (more power to you if so, but I would not risk it personally)?

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Not all of us are skilled with such tools btw.

How do you think people become skilled with them?

They fuck shit up, then decide to figure out how to fix it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I've only updated my BIOS once, ever, and it was because I wanted to put a quad-core CPU in my PC. (2006 Dell PCs are strange things) When I flashed the BIOS, it "finished" and said that there was an error. It told me to restart the computer to fix itself, but do you want to take a lucky guess as to what happened next!? It had updated itself properly, and a few days later, I put the Core 2 Quad in it and it worked perfectly.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16