"Raven Ridge" APU more details leaked

N1ght_F1nger

A little more detail on the Vega + Ryzen APU

Articular here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/236312/zen-meeting-vega-in-amd-raven-ridge-apu-confirmed

Something interesting that was confirmed was:

"The "Zen" CCX talks to the "Vega" graphics core using Infinity Fabric"

Will be interesting to see the performance and heat this will output, might be a little beast for the price....

Edited by N1ght_F1nger
Quote used

Infinity fabric as a CPU-GPU interconnect sounds interesting. Speaking of that, how does an intel CPU communicate with its iGPU? Also make sure to include quotes so this thread doesn't get moved/locked.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

you need a quote 

if they have 15w parts, yay! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Infinity fabric as a CPU-GPU interconnect sounds interesting. Speaking of that, how does an intel CPU communicate with its iGPU? Also make sure to include quotes so this thread doesn't get moved/locked.

Done quote added.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

you need a quote 

if they have 15w parts, yay! 

15W=a lower TDP than that of my A8 4555m.....which is bloody awful due to AMD's Turbo Core fucking up its under-full-load clock speed (a Phenom II P920 plays games better....and that was the worst Phenom II X4 ever made).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

15W=a lower TDP than that of my A8 4555m.....which is bloody awful due to AMD's Turbo Core fucking up its under-full-load clock speed (a Phenom II P920 plays games better....and that was the worst Phenom II X4 ever made).

yes

i want that. i want a ultrabook, more specifically a ultrabook that is thick, uses 15w, and has a shit ton of battery

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

yes

i want that. i want a ultrabook, more specifically a ultrabook that is thick, uses 15w, and has a shit ton of battery

Well its Ryzen not Bulldozer/Trinity/Piledriver so we should get that from Raven Ridge.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Well its Ryzen not Bulldozer/Trinity/Piledriver so we should get that from Raven Ridge.

give me a ultrabook that is thick yet has a stupid amount of battery life. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

give me a ultrabook that is thick yet has a stupid amount of battery life. 

That wouldn't be an ultrabook then :P.  So you basically want one of those old 4KG+ behemoths with a Raven ridge APU (2 and a half hours battery life with an 82W desktop Pentium 4 Ht 3,2GHz was insane)?

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

That wouldn't be an ultrabook then :P.  So you basically want one of those old 4KG+ behemoths with a Raven ridge APU (2 and a half hours battery life with an 82W desktop Pentium 4 Ht 3,2GHz was insane)?

i call it an ultrabook because it still fits what the ultrabook is to me

good battery life while being thin and light i guess

it will be thin, like

you'll be able to stack 2 USB ports on top of each other, which is still thin IMO

i want a laptop with some good battery life, closest thing to it is a ultrabook. dont give me 1080ti performance, i want BATTERY LIFE with a DECENT CPU

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, N1ght_F1nger said:

A little more detail on the Vega + Ryzen APU

Articular here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/236312/zen-meeting-vega-in-amd-raven-ridge-apu-confirmed

Something interesting that was confirmed was:

Will be interesting to see the performance and heat this will output, might be a little beast for the price....

Nothing new here really. We knew this was going to be the case when Infinity Fabric was first introduced. It was the only logical conclusion anyone with any amount of intellectual integrity could come to given how the APU platforms are designed.

APUs with HBM or HMC was always a pipe-dream. 

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

nop. Heat density of VEGA will mean that it wont be a great performer outside of higher end models. Lower end Ultrabooks will have too weak cooling. Throttling/low base clocks will plague this generation for a while.

Same reason why we aint seeing "Full 1080" gaming laptops taking off. Just not enough cooling for the 14/16nm density.

AMD GPUs, and APUs uses ultra dense "GPU style" liberaries to improve performance (innovation first seen in Carrizo). This provides an improvemen in GPU and APU workloads, but hamper CPU clocks due to the high heat density within the die. It is part of the reason we havent seen Bristol Ridge hit desktop until now. Simply put, they needed a new power efficient node just to make their 28nm design work. Now we are talking an even bigger GPU, which is shown to be just as power hungry as teh Hawaii and Tonga based Kaveri/Carrizo based APUs.

We need to wait until Raven Ridges successor/perhaps desktop Raven Ridge, to see full potential. Even high end laptops is going to strongly favor a "dGPU" solution over unleashing the full APU power. dGPU will cost the same cooling wise (bigger heatpipes, more fans etc), but will deliver far more performance.

26 minutes ago, themctipers said:

it will be thin, like

you'll be able to stack 2 USB ports on top of each other, which is still thin IMO

i want a laptop with some good battery life, closest thing to it is a ultrabook. dont give me 1080ti performance, i want BATTERY LIFE with a DECENT CPU

Theoretically, if you built a laptop like the HP Spectre just 4mm thicker, you could fit a enormous boost in cooling if you went with larger diameter fans. 

ATM cooling is holding back batteries too. They cannot be too large or else they get issues with cooling them during charging and heavy usage. Charging and heavy usage on a bigger high density battery could lead to fire hazards or at best exponentially longer charge times (say hello to 6 hours charging for 8 hours use, compared to 1h45m for 5h+ today)

Just now, Prysin said:

Theoretically, if you built a laptop like the HP Spectre just 4mm thicker, you could fit a enormous boost in cooling if you went with larger diameter fans. 

ATM cooling is holding back batteries too. They cannot be too large or else they get issues with cooling them during charging and heavy usage. Charging and heavy usage on a bigger high density battery could lead to fire hazards or at best exponentially longer charge times (say hello to 6 hours charging for 8 hours use, compared to 1h45m for 5h+ today)

either have it be less dense (the laptop id have would be thicker than most laptops now yet not be too thick, you could have a better battery life with not as dense batteries i guess)

or do what smartphones have been doing: quick charge from low percentage to until 40 or so, then slowly charge up to 90, then charge even slower. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

37 minutes ago, themctipers said:

it will be thin, like

Basically just get a business laptop. Most are 7+ hours in battery life even the ones with HQ CPUs.

On topic,  I don't really see this working out that well for them. The lower power ones will be shitty and the high end ones would require cooling close to if not the same as laptops with a dGPU. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Basically just get a business laptop. Most are 7+ hours in battery life even the ones with HQ CPUs.

On topic,  I don't really see this working out that well for them. The lower power ones will be shitty and the high end ones would require close to if not the same as laptops with a dGPU. 

am in canada, for $1000 you can get a TN or IPS 768p laptop for the same price as you can get a 1080p IPS laptop in the consumer world

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

On topic,  I don't really see this working out that well for them. The lower power ones will be shitty and the high end ones would require close to if not the same as laptops with a dGPU. 

yep. Cooling wise, the heat density is a nightmare. VEGA may not be a great choice. BUT!!!

Depending on the configuration, HBCC can save the performance and heat, if all higher end models is sold with a SPECIFIC amount of RAM forcefully enabled as "High Bandwidth Cache"... aka 20GB RAM model (2x8 GB Soldered/SODIMM + 1x4GB soldered?), 4GB being dedicated purely as GPU cache.

It could work. it would save power by reducing CPU fetch queues and reduce heat from onboard NVMe or SATA storage. It would however not really help in HUGE games... but it would give the laptop a MUCH better overall performance.

They could make mobile APU drivers that say prioritize 4GB "cache RAM" for the GPU first, then start eating up system RAM as needed.

then again, DRAM is expensive, so this would probably not happen.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

am in canada, for $1000 you can get a TN or IPS 768p laptop for the same price as you can get a 1080p IPS laptop in the consumer world

Both me and Dackzy live in Europe... Do not come here talking about your canadian bargains

Just now, Prysin said:

Both me and Dackzy live in Europe... Do not come here talking about your canadian bargains

ok

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Well yeah,  but they are also build world's better. It is kinda a trade off, would you like to have a machine with long battery life, great build quality and good cooling at the cost of easily 50% more or save 50% and loose something in those categories.

I am personally willing to pay the extra to get a laptop that is a tank. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well yeah,  but they are also build world's better. It is kinda a trade off, would you like to have a machine with long battery life, great build quality and good cooling at the cost of easily 50% more or save 50% and loose something in those categories.

I am personally willing to pay the extra to get a laptop that is a tank. 

i am too, but im losing too much

im losing 4gb of ram, im losing 7200u for a either i3, pentium or a last gen i3, a ssd, and 1080p and IPS

its not worth it.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

yep. Cooling wise, the heat density is a nightmare. VEGA may not be a great choice. BUT!!!

Depending on the configuration, HBCC can save the performance and heat, if all higher end models is sold with a SPECIFIC amount of RAM forcefully enabled as "High Bandwidth Cache"... aka 20GB RAM model (2x8 GB Soldered/SODIMM + 1x4GB soldered?), 4GB being dedicated purely as GPU cache.

It could work. it would save power by reducing CPU fetch queues and reduce heat from onboard NVMe or SATA storage. It would however not really help in HUGE games... but it would give the laptop a MUCH better overall performance.

They could make mobile APU drivers that say prioritize 4GB "cache RAM" for the GPU first, then start eating up system RAM as needed.

then again, DRAM is expensive, so this would probably not happen.

That would actually be pretty interesting to see, but if we are going to see anything close to it, then it would only be in premium laptops 

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i am too, but im losing too much

im losing 4gb of ram, im losing 7200u for a either i3, pentium or a last gen i3, a ssd, and 1080p and IPS

its not worth it.

Well, if you generally add 50% to your premium laptop then you can get a business laptop with the same specs 

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well, if you generally add 50% to your premium laptop then you can get a business laptop with the same specs 

not worth it at all. with thonkpad thats a 20% premium (but still too much for me) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

not worth it at all. with thonkpad thats a 20% premium (but still too much for me) 

That basically comes down to what you do. I would happily pay the premium to get a laptop I know that is going to be able to go to hell and back. Mainly because I move it around a lot and I need a very reliable laptop.