Does this build need any improvement?

ErykYT3
3 minutes ago, Semetg said:

But if you think, each brand is known for certain components. Corsair is well knows for average psus, ram, coolers, asus for mobos and sometimes gpus, gigabyte for mobos, and each of these brands gainef their reputation for a reason.

And reputation doesn't always equal to quality, doesn't it? If it did, then AMD would be long gone.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

And reputation doesn't always equal to quality, doesn't it? If it did, then AMD would be long gone.

Amd doesn't have that bad of a reputation, and it had some very rough moments. And truth be told, they were usually seen as a budget solution, not as a useless company.

2 minutes ago, Semetg said:

The ssd wasn't the main concern, but the cooler is the main problem of this build.

That's why I thought OP should spend more on that.

4 minutes ago, Semetg said:

But if you think, each brand is known for certain components. Corsair is well knows for average psus, ram, coolers, asus for mobos and sometimes gpus, gigabyte for mobos, and each of these brands gainef their reputation for a reason.

After they gained reputation, some use it to rebadge products (including the bad ones) from other companies to make a quick dollar without spending money on investment, production etc. Good reputation doesn't mean it's trustworthy.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

That's why I thought OP should spend more on that.

After they gained reputation, some use it to rebadge products (including the bad ones) from other companies to make a quick dollar without spending money on investment, production etc. Good reputation doesn't mean it's trustworthy.

Have you seen intel cpus performing bad? Any bad nvidia gpus?( of course in the last few years) Any cheap asus mobos? Any corsair or hyper x ram with major problems?

2 minutes ago, Semetg said:

Amd doesn't have that bad of a reputation, and it had some very rough moments. And truth be told, they were usually seen as a budget solution, not as a useless company.

Wasn't saying AMD is useless but it does lack the reputation in comparison to NVIDIA and Intel... and that's exactly why reputation isn't equivalent to quality.

Like I said, you would look at each individual product. Every company has something good and something bad.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I must not have thought about the actual overclocking part of this build for some reason, I guess I will have to get a better cooler and perhaps a new PSU too.

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Wasn't saying AMD is useless but it does lack the reputation in comparison to NVIDIA and Intel... and that's exactly why reputation isn't equivalent to quality.

Like I said, you would look at each individual product. Every company has something good and something bad.

So just as you said, amd doesn't have that bad of a reputation, and it's well known for budget components. Recently, they started changing this general opinion with threadripper and vega, but until then they were known for what they were.

1 minute ago, ErykYT3 said:

I must not have thought about the actual overclocking part of this build for some reason, I guess I will have to get a better cooler and perhaps a new PSU too.

For a cooler, if you can afford it, I'd suggest getting a noctua d-14 or d15, changing the psu isn't a must, if you consider that you had no problems in the past with it.

1 minute ago, Semetg said:

So just as you said, amd doesn't have that bad of a reputation, and it's well known for budget components. Recently, they started changing this general opinion with threadripper and vega, but until then they were known for what they were.

When you say "budget", it does give off the impression that it's "inferior", yes? Probably shouldn't have used that example in hindsight... oh well.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic; EVGA and Corsair both have good and bad PSUs. It really depends on the unit you buy. But saying that one company's PSUs are all good? That's far from the truth.

Spoiler

Just now, Semetg said:

Have you seen intel cpus performing bad? Any bad nvidia gpus?( of course in the last few years) Any cheap asus mobos? Any corsair or hyper x with major problems?

Intel's bad rep comes from lack of improvement over CPU generations.

Nvidia's bad rep comes from their closed source Gameworks, which used dirty tactics to worsen AMD GPU performance even further in order to gain an advantage, rather than using better performing GPUs.

My ASUS H81M Plus was cheap when new, I only spent $20.

I didn't disparage these companies. If they only sell bad stuff then they are out of the market already. What I'm trying to tell is that don't judge with reputation only. It comes from what they sell and those are what matters.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

When you say "budget", it does give off the impression that it's "inferior", yes? Probably shouldn't have used that example in hindsight... oh well.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic; EVGA and Corsair both have good and bad PSUs. It really depends on the unit you buy. But saying that one company's PSUs are all good? That's far from the truth.

Yeah, but in general, if you look on the internet, more people are having trouble with corsair than with evga. Anyways, the psu is preety old, and changind it wouldn't hurt.

Now guys, I'm starting to think that overclocking isn't for me, I'm not really that keen on getting an asus motherboard that costs that much, i was looking at the b250f, but with that would getting the same processor (i7-7700k) be a good or bad idea? And should i even consider the i5 series cards? 

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Intel's bad rep comes from lack of improvement over CPU generations.

Nvidia's bad rep comes from their closed source Gameworks, which used dirty tactics to worsen AMD GPU performance even further in order to gain an advantage, rather than using better performing GPUs.

My ASUS H81M Plus was cheap when new, I only spent $20.

I didn't disparage these companies. If they only sell bad stuff then they are out of the market already. What I'm trying to tell is that don't judge with reputation only. It comes from what they sell and those are what matters.

By cheap asus mobos I meant bad ones, but as you said, even though it isn't expensive, it works just fine.

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Now guys, I'm starting to think that overclocking isn't for me, I'm not really that keen on getting an asus motherboard that costs that much, i was looking at the b250f, but with that would getting the same processor (i7-7700k) be a good or bad idea? And should i even consider the i5 series cards? 

It depenends how often you'd like to upgrade the sistem. An i7 will last you longer, and a good cooler is needed for stock clock speed too.

1 minute ago, Semetg said:

Yeah, but in general, if you look on the internet, more people are having trouble with corsair than with evga. Anyways, the psu is preety old, and changind it wouldn't hurt.

Again, anecdotes are not fact. I shouldn't have to repeat that. I've seen EVGA and Corsair PSUs fail. Doesn't mean those specific models were actually bad. You determine a unit's quality from a large amount of factors; build quality, component quality, ripple suppression, voltage regulation and so forth.

The TX650 is still a good unit. If it works fine, there's really not much reason why he should change it.

Spoiler

Just now, Semetg said:

It depenends how often you'd like to upgrade the sistem. An i7 will last you longer, and a good cooler is needed for stock clock speed too.

Ok, but which one should i consider getting now, the K version or just the "original"? I'm thinking the i7-7700k since the other one is only £20 less.

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Ok, but which one should i consider getting now, the K version or just the "original"? I'm thinking the i7-7700k since the other one is only £20 less.

I7-7700k will allow overclocking which is a great advantage over time. The non k will last you but you cannot squeeze extra performance

Yeah, go for the k.

Obviously the first is better but i'm just concerned that maybe it will have some problems with using it with a non overclockable motherboard (Asus Strix B250F)

4 minutes ago, Semetg said:

AMD did do one bad thing: Selling old stuff with a new name.

I'm not pin pointing AMD here. Nvidia did that in the past too. However, Nvidia did that so long in the past (8800GTX to 9800GT to GTS 250 if I recall correctly) that most buyers forgot about it, while most of us still remember what AMD did. They rebranded the entire 200 series lineup to 300 series, then release the Fury and Fury X, which should have been the 390 and 390X, at a high price. Not to mention that their cards are still AIO: Graphics card and heater, all in one.

Desktop benching:

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Again, anecdotes are not fact. I shouldn't have to repeat that. I've seen EVGA and Corsair PSUs fail. Doesn't mean those specific models were actually bad. You determine a unit's quality from a large amount of factors; build quality, component quality, ripple suppression, voltage regulation and so forth.

The TX650 is still a good unit. If it works fine, there's really not much reason why he should change it.

Anyway, it's still his decision. He can search the web to see what he should expect from both manufacturers.

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Obviously the first is better but i'm just concerned that maybe it will have some problems with using it with a non overclockable motherboard (Asus Strix B250F)

Well you got me there. When the G3258 intel allowed overclocking on H81 and B85 boards but with newer boards I do not know

The one in the link u sent us is a z270

Just now, MadOverclocker said:

Well you got me there. When the G3258 intel allowed overclocking on H81 and B85 boards but with newer boards I do not know

I'll just check for any incompatibilities on pc part picker.