Where to dispose of coolant

People keep on saying read the label on where to dispose of it but my coolant doesn't actually say where to dispose of it. Where do I dispose of it. PLEASE do not be vague.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

1 minute ago, This kid builds pc said:

People keep on saying read the label on where to dispose of it but my coolant doesn't actually say where to dispose of it. Where do I dispose of it. PLEASE do not be vague.

Down the drain, if you live in a city the water will be treated before going back.

Down the drain. If a liquid has specific rules for being disposed, it will have it on the label. Liquid cooling coolants are generally non-toxic and aren't oil based so don't require any special means of disposal. 

if you don't live in a city , just pour it on the ground

the "make sure you dispose of coolant properly" is essentially their way of keeping themselves from getting sued if someone dumps hundreds of gallons of it and causes a real environmental disaster.

a few quarts of it in the bushes in the country isn't going to do anything

Strictly depends on the coolant. Whether it is propylene glycol based, ethylene glycol based, or water based, the additives involved and your local rgulations.

Everybody saying "just put it down the drain" is a bit irresponsible. You as an individual is likely not to be prosecuted but it can still be bad for the environment and if you do it in a company scenario, then shit can really go down quixkly.

It will depend on the coolant. You don't mention what you are using do I'll assume it's NaK for your personal reactor, in which case you should contact the government for proper disposal of radioactive waste.

If however you are not a mad scientist your probably using distilled water with some form of dye and biocide. If you can remember what fluid you bought you could look up what's in it online and the proper disposal method. Or just assume they're not going to be pouring terribly toxic things in there (probably requiring a label) and just pour it down the sink 

Read the MSDS online. You are probably OK to dump it down the drain, but DO NOT dump it on the ground or down the drain if it contains ethylene glycol, that is quite toxic. If it is propylene glycol based, you can pour it down the drain, as propylene glycol is not very toxic. 

I have a Mayhems dye and it says that it shouldn't be disposed down the drain. I just take al those residues to my university campus to the chemistry faculty. They have proper disposal methods.

If a campus is not an option, call your city's chemistry facility. Sometimes they even pick it up. 

• 2 months later...

chatAgent.png Jason TS2: Hi, my name is Jason TS2. How may I help you? 
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: Hi
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: I have a question about liquid cooling
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: We will work on faulty H110
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: pump hose burst out, liquid everywhere on the case
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: how safe is this liquid? any safety pre-cautions before we start fixing it?
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: I'm sorry to hear that
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: What type of liquid is it?
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: Hello?
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: are you there?
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: hello?
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: Its a mix of distilled water and anti fungus chemicals
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: I wouldnt suggest on opening the cooler as it can void your warranty
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: we dont
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: we just need to remove it from the case and replace it with a new one
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: what's the liquid called?
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: well its known as anti freezer since composition of a coolant are mixed water and other chemicals such as ethylene glycol and propylene glycol etc.
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: ok thanks!
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: Is there anything else I can do for you?
chatEndUserMessage.png JIM SAZON: all good
chatAgent.png Jason TS2: Thank you for contacting Corsair! Have a nice day :)

On 8/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, lexidobe said:

Read the MSDS online. You are probably OK to dump it down the drain, but DO NOT dump it on the ground or down the drain if it contains ethylene glycol, that is quite toxic. 

False.

Ethylene Glycol can safely be flushed down the toilet. Sewage treatment uses microbes that feed on Ethylene glycol and break it down into a harmless form. The same microbes are found in the ground and the Ethylene glycol will be broken down. The only way its harmful is if it puddles somewhere and an animal drinks it before its broken down.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/household-antifreeze

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 10/30/2017 at 5:10 PM, asand1 said:

False.

Ethylene Glycol can safely be flushed down the toilet. Sewage treatment uses microbes that feed on Ethylene glycol and break it down into a harmless form. The same microbes are found in the ground and the Ethylene glycol will be broken down. The only way its harmful is if it puddles somewhere and an animal drinks it before its broken down.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/household-antifreeze

Hmm. I learn something new every day :) Thanks for correcting me. Why should you not dispose of car antifreeze down the drain then? Just curious.

1 hour ago, lexidobe said:

Hmm. I learn something new every day :) Thanks for correcting me. Why should you not dispose of car antifreeze down the drain then? Just curious.

The only reason not to would be from chemicals and heavy metals leaching into car antifreeze during operation, other than that the dumping it in the drain (SEWER, not storm drain) is fine. Simply diluting it into the river would not break down the chemical bonds of the ethylene glycol and would be hazardous to the fishes and nutes and water skeeters.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430