Is 1.4v not "healthy" for Ryzen 1600 ?

The highest i could push my R1600 was 3.95ghz @1.4v stable. Any voltage below that didnt pass the Asus RealBench stress test. So is that a safe voltage ? considering i got a stable 3.9ghz @1.385v. So its not much of an oc difference.

Also @1.4v my idle temp is around 47ish and maxs at 75c under during stress test with 37c ambient temp. Any of that seems not okay to you ?

All looks good, I'd do something about that 37C ambient though haha! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

The maximum voltage recommended by AMD for the Ryzen series is 1.42v  , 1.4v is a bit much but acceptable to use long term.

Personally, I would be more comfortable with 1.38v or something like that, try reaching 3.9 ghz with slightly less voltage.

Does AMD still recommend a 1.35v OC ceiling on Ryzen 5 series like they do with the Ryzen 7 line?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

All looks good, I'd do something about that 37C ambient though haha! 

Aright, ill keep my AC turned on and you pay my pills lol.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The maximum voltage recommended by AMD for the Ryzen series is 1.42v  , 1.4v is a bit much but acceptable to use long term.

Personally, I would be more comfortable with 1.38v or something like that, try reaching 3.9 ghz with slightly less voltage.

Yea thats why i was concerned about the 1.4v, as anything less than that wont stabilize the 3.95ghz oc. I might as well just stick with 3.9ghz @1.385v. 3.9ghz and 3.95ghz is not a big deal i think.

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Does AMD still recommend a 1.35v OC ceiling on Ryzen 5 series like they do with the Ryzen 7 line?

1.35v ? nah man, from what i know AMD recommends a ceiling of 1.42v.

I keep seeing these "AMD recommended" maxes.  Can anyone tell me where or how they received this recommendation from AMD?

AMD has started that at 1.45 volts the lifespan of the chip will be effected. 

OCrs have used 1.45 (Or higher) but you are risking longevity.  So, are those extra fps worth a year off your cpu? Up to you and how much money you got to buy a new AM4 processor if need be.

3 minutes ago, Evanair said:

AMD has started that at 1.45 volts the lifespan of the chip will be effected. 

OCrs have used 1.45 (Or higher) but you are risking longevity.  So, are those extra fps worth a year off your cpu? Up to you and how much money you got to buy a new AM4 processor if need be.

or a month... [blush] RIP 1700X #1

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

or a month... [blush] RIP 1700X #1

How's the new chip working out for you and what voltages did you go with this time around.

I got to give you the big nuts award for how you pushed the last one!

Voltage overclocking is an 'at your own risk' deal.  I don't think you'll find any official statements from AMD or Intel about when an overclock stops being 'safe' on their site, but usually somebody from PR will come out at some point and say "this is where we found most chips to end up".  Thermals or stability of the OC don't really guarentee less risk of degrading either.

I would almost take the enthusiast community's findings just as seriously, because there are things they can find that intel/amd wont.

It tends to be in the 1.35-1.4 range.  

I would personally say to push it to the 1.4ish range if you intend on running it into the ground.  If you intend on selling/repurposing it later, maybe try to preserve it a bit more at 1.35.

10 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Voltage overclocking is an 'at your own risk' deal.  I don't think you'll find any official statements from AMD or Intel about when an overclock stops being 'safe' on their site, but usually somebody from PR will come out at some point and say "this is where we found most chips to end up".  Thermals or stability of the OC don't really guarentee less risk of degrading either.

I would almost take the enthusiast community's findings just as seriously, because there are things they can find that intel/amd wont.

It tends to be in the 1.35-1.4 range. 

That's exactly the point of my first post.  Nobody should be listening to "AMD recommended" values as there aren't any. 

Voltage is nothing more than opportunity for current.  It's the current behind that voltage that people need to concern themselves more with. 

Luckily, AMD Ryzen chips don't have deal with AVX2 and higher loads too much at all so current isn't as big a concern, but it's still a concern.  

Tell someone that's it's okay to run a chip at 4 GHz with 1.45v and then they run Linpack like crazy people (@MageTank) do often and they might need a soldering iron to remove their CPU from the socket when they attempt to RMA it due to failure.  

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

How's the new chip working out for you and what voltages did you go with this time around.

I got to give you the big nuts award for how you pushed the last one!

It's working great, haven't had MUCH time for stability testing beyond 3.8GHz @ 1.35v.

the crazy thing on that last one was that the temps were SUPER manageable. broke my heart to bring that thing to it's knees...

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

It's working great, haven't had MUCH time for stability testing beyond 3.8GHz @ 1.35v.

the crazy thing on that last one was that the temps were SUPER manageable. broke my heart to bring that thing to it's knees...

I took out a DTS (temp sensor) on my first 7700k with excessive OC PLL Voltage (BIOS issue on Asus z270) and it broke my heart too.  I spent a couple more months trying to find another chip just as good and finally managed to.  Shit happens.  

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That's exactly the point of my first post.  Nobody should be listening to "AMD recommended" values as there aren't any to fit all situations.  

I would just say ask the people that actually do the overclocking first.  I leave it up to the early adopters to tell me what is 'usually safe', or wait for guides to come out.

Also, this is a personal opinion, but if longevity really is important, maybe don't OC right out of the box.  Wait a bit till you feel like you need the boost, maybe to prolong your next upgrade  (or maybe just try it to see how you fared on the lottery).

8 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Thanks for that as that's about as official as it gets.  1.35v to 1.4v in a recommendation from AMD. 

I would still caution users to use what they can manage thermally.  

This one is time stamp a bit closer to the point.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Thanks for that as that's about as official as it gets.  1.35v to 1.4v in a recommendation from AMD. 

I would still caution users to use what they can manage thermally.

At one point in the Video he said that he personally wouldnt recommend to go above 1,4 without risking lifespan or something. But im to lazy to find it. Could be that i dont remember correctly. Its a long time since i saw this Video for the first time :)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

At one point in the Video he said that he personally wouldnt recommend to go above 1,4 without risking lifespan or something. But im to lazy to find it. Could be that i dont remember correctly. Its a long time since i saw this Video for the first time :)

Yeah, I just redid the time stamp on the one you provided to start at his Vcore talk.  Thanks again.