is it stupid to buy a gtx 1080ti?

zindan

I mean like how long will they be beasty cards? Will they still be epic in 4-5 years? if not, would it seem good to buy another 1080ti in the future and go with SLI ? How long will the cards be beasty? 

Considering people still used 980ti's in their systems I would say you are good to go as long as you have the money and a monitor for it.

I think you should buy 2 and send me one. :D And they'll be beasts until they break, just not for the newest games at 4K and such. If you stick with today's or last years or older games, it'll last you a long time. There is no card that can keep up with the latest AAA games at max settings on a high resolution for 4-5 years though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Any gpu will be less "beastly" as newer gpus come out. A 980ti and a 780ti are still considered respectable beast cards and a 1080ti should do the same. Only if you have the cash.

There's so many factors that come into play when you try and even comment on something being "stupid" to buy.

It's not the same for everyone.

Eg:

• Do you make minimum wage, and live alone?
    Probably a stupid buy.
  • Do you make $100k a year?
    Probably a good buy.
  • Do you have a 60hz 1080p monitor?
    Probably a stupid buy.
  • Do you have a 4k monitor and want max settings?
    Probably a good buy.

Right now, it's the best performing card you can buy. So if that's what you're looking for, go ham.

If you're looking for value, I'd look elsewhere.

Can you use it for years? Sure. How will it perform? Likely well, but we don't have crystal balls. We know just as much as you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

if they have the same scalability as the 980Ti had on the 10xx series then they should last you a long time. but i don;t think any card will remain to be a beast for 4 to 5 years. maybe 3, but even then games will have progressed so far that 'older' hardware just can't keep up.

3 minutes ago, zindan said:

How long will the cards be beasty? 

That's impossible to know for sure, but they'll be top of the line only until nvidia's next product line comes out at the latest. I personally don't think a 1080ti is worth the price, however it is undeniably the fastest single gpu card on the market, so if you really need the extra performance you don't have much of a choice.

1 minute ago, Rezalis said:

Any gpu will be less "beastly" as newer gpus come out. A 980ti and a 780ti are still considered respectable beast cards and a 1080ti should do the same. Only if you have the cash.

The 700 series has actually aged very poorly, they used to trade blows with the r9 200 line but with newer titles they get destroyed by them. Some say nvidia intentionally gimped the drivers to boost 900 and 1000 series sales, in which case who's to say the newer cards won't suffer the same fate? Even if you give them the benfit of the doubt, some architectural decisions (such as going for gddr over hbm and the generally underwhelming bus speeds) don't bode well for future performance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, IN MY OPINION, it kinda is.

Unless you want to play 4k or 1440p high refresh rate RIGHT NOW. Because if not, sometime soon there will be a cheaper card with more power. IMO the best choice is to get mid tier cards, than change then in a generation or two. Or get a "almost high end" like a 1070 and use it for some years.

Ofc that depends, there arw lots of factors. But for me, thats the best thing to do.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The 700 series has actually aged very poorly, they used to trade blows with the r9 200 line but with newer titles they get destroyed by them. Some say nvidia intentionally gimped the drivers to boost 900 and 1000 series sales, in which case who's to say the newer cards won't suffer the same fate? Even if you give them the benfit of the doubt, some architectural decisions (such as going for gddr over hbm and the g

There ia an interesting video about this on floatplane right now :P 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Coming from someone who has two of them,

F*ck no.

It'd all depend on your use cases.

If you were just going for a 1080p60 rig? Eh, you could get the job done with a 1070, much less a 1080.

If you wanted a nice 2160p60 rig? Then I'd see more practicality towards getting one.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The 700 series has actually aged very poorly, they used to trade blows with the r9 200 line but with newer titles they get destroyed by them.

It also depends on which 700 series you got. I believe if you didn't get a 780 or better, you were getting a rebadged 600 series card.

It is a very stupid to buy 1 if you are searching price to performance ratio since this is the best GPU right now and OFC the most overpriced one.

Now will it run games in the future - DEPENDS what you want from it - 1080p high/max settings you wont have problem until they change the directx support and so on (in my opinion at least 5 years) BUT if you want 4k resolution max settings I fear that in a few years even SLI wont help since the games will require more VRAM for sure.

Let me give you an example what will happen.

Late 2013, lunch of Assassin screed Black Flag, I got myself a brand new PC with a gtx 650 TI 1 GB just for this game.

A friend of my with GTX 260 (card lunched in q2 2008) could play the same game at the same settings as me.

1 year later new  games comes out: I can play them with my DirectX 11 card, my friend cant even lunch them bec his card is limited to DirectX 10....

We know that the 260 will it run it BUT it just cant since its too old.....

This will happen to the 1080tis in the future....

I bought 2 MSI when they first came out, some games I have to disable 1 but I still love the single card paired with 6700K and play on 3440x1440.. I agree that if you have the money then go ahead, why not? :P

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Depends on your finances obviously but aside from that what are you looking to do?

Game at 1080p 60fps (full hd) then you need not more than a 1060 (6GB) at the most,  1050ti and rx580 are good options too if you can find one for the right price.

Game at 4K or 1440p.  Then yeah you'd need at a minimum a 1070 probably more in the realm of a 1080 or 1080ti. 

That said if you do get a 1080ti that card will last you another 4-5 years at full hd

As newer technologies come out and games are developed to utilize them, older cards will become less "beastly." It's impossible to guarantee anything, but given past historical performance of top-end GPUs, the 1080 Ti should last quite awhile without much issue, easily if you game at 1080p or even 1440p. The 780 Ti came out four years ago and can still handle 1080p content respectably well, but don't expect max settings in four or five years.

I don't recommend planning to buy another 1080 Ti in a few years to run SLI, however. The performance gain isn't worth the price, and most likely it'll be better to buy one current gen (for the time) card.

Your answer will vary.  I think there are plenty of people that buy the 1080 ti just for the sake of having it, or future proofing, but it is worth its money if you have use for it (4k/3d rendering/etc).  I personally believe you should get what you think you need at the moment, and just selling the card when it's time to upgrade.  

If you do plan on SLI, I would do it within a couple of years, not 4 or 5.  At least with 2 top end cards, that would carry you over quite a while if 11gb vRAM remains plenty (which I think it will).  GPU architecture could be in a different league in 4-5 years though.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It also depends on which 700 series you got. I believe if you didn't get a 780 or better, you were getting a rebadged 600 series card.

Yes but that's not the point, the point is that they got worse in comparison to their direct competitors in newer games.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Here's something about these top-tier cards.

If one needs to question about their value, then one should not buy it.

i just got mine today i have to say. its a beast. i got the msi lightning 1080ti and i got its clock speed to 2200mhz

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

MultiGPU is pretty nice for longevity, atthough there will always be a bottleneck.  For example my 980 SLI rig slots right between a GTX 1080 and GTX 1080ti which makes it a powerhouse for 4K gaming but because of the vRAM sometimes I have to dial textures down a notch.  Considering that I've owned this system for 2.5 years I've already gotten some nice mileage out of it, and it has a ton of gas left in the tank to drive games for another year or two easily. (Without even dropping to medium settings)

Depending on how cutting edge you are, you can obviously get more mileage out of your card.  I could comfortably game at 1080p/60 FPS for the next 4-5 years unless some crazy bottleneck appears.

However if you just care about having a beastly card then you have one more generation of GPU's and then the 1080Ti will be firmly mid range.  (Much like the poor 780Ti)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Nvidia cards sadly don't have AMD's FineWine technology, so they'll age like shit. Unless you only plan to play lower tier games, I wouldn't dream of holding onto a 1080Ti for 5 years.

1 hour ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Nvidia cards sadly don't have AMD's FineWine technology, so they'll age like shit. Unless you only plan to play lower tier games, I wouldn't dream of holding onto a 1080Ti for 5 years.

I don't think the target demographic for top-tier cards are those that will use graphics cards for 5 years.

FineWine tech is pretty much pointless for enthusiasts.

1 hour ago, StormEye said:

I don't think the target demographic for top-tier cards are those that will use graphics cards for 5 years.

FineWine tech is pretty much pointless for enthusiasts.

Probably not, probably better to buy a mid-tier card and upgrade again 2.5 years down the line, not sure though someone would have to do the math. The prices of Nvidia's flagships always drops like a stone on the used market though, used 980Ti's are already down to quite a bit under half what they were at retail.

12 hours ago, zindan said:

I mean like how long will they be beasty cards? Will they still be epic in 4-5 years? if not, would it seem good to buy another 1080ti in the future and go with SLI ? How long will the cards be beasty? 

They won't be epic in 4-5 years, the'll be equal to budget cards. However don't mistake that for them being useless. I used my 780ti for nearly 4 years and it was still running at 1440p just fine. I only went for a 1080 because I'm trying to play VR. It should play games at medium-high at 1440p in 4 years and high at 1080p with pretty close to 60fps. They will probably be equal or pretty close to Volta 70 card or slightly faster. Then it'll be a whatever is after that 60 or 50 ti equivalent.