How can I split an internet connection into two?

Silly Ducklings
Just now, Silly Ducklings said:

Never considered that, do you have any suggestions on what switches I should be looking at?  I don't want to break the bank, but I'm afraid if I spend $30-40 bucks on a small switch I'll end up with the same problem I have now, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was wrong unfortunately. I logged into all of my switches and the lowest I could set the ports to were 10Mbps both up and down so they won't help you. :(

I did make a suggestion for if you and your sister are both on wireless though (although you shouldn't be playing online games over wireless to begin with which is part of your problem if that's the case).

-KuJoe

13 minutes ago, Silly Ducklings said:

(I think openwrt does, but that one seems a bit over my head TBH, so I'd rather go with the more popular options if possible

DDWRT is a bitch to use. Just because its popular doesnt mean easy. I had a hard time getting IPv6 working as you have several things you had to setup. Most of the options I have no clue what they do. Just discovered today I could prioritize services, didnt know that was an option. Oh and the install process for DDWRT is not fun at all, you cant just flash there is a whole process you have to do before you flash it. 

This might be a time to look in to a Ubiquiti edge router. But with how low your speed is, I dont even know is QoS will solve your issues. You might just have to deal with it. 

Another possibility is to look in to 4G LTE service. Depending on your service providers in the area. Just use the 4G service for your self and that could solve the issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

DDWRT is a bitch to use. Just because its popular doesnt mean easy. I had a hard time getting IPv6 working as you have several things you had to setup. Most of the options I have no clue what they do. Just discovered today I could prioritize services, didnt know that was an option. Oh and the install process for DDWRT is not fun at all, you cant just flash there is a whole process you have to do before you flash it. 

This might be a time to look in to a Ubiquiti edge router. But with how low your speed is, I dont even know is QoS will solve your issues. You might just have to deal with it. 

Another possibility is to look in to 4G LTE service. Depending on your service providers in the area. Just use the 4G service for your self and that could solve the issues. 

I knew it would be a bitch to use, but from what I can tell openwrt is a bigger bitch to use. (could be 100% wrong, but that was my takeaway from glancing over both)  Edit - Also, if I end up with a new router, i'll probably be going with tomato, since it seems to be the least bitchy and best for bandwidth monitoring.

If higher-grade QoS is anything like a per-device throttling application (netbalancer, cfosspeed, netlimiter) it'll 100% work.  I have to use netlimiter when windows 10 decides to force a mandatory update to download, and it works perfectly.

I've seriously considered 4g, but that will definitely be a last resort.  I have almost no service at my house so I would need an extender, and when I've gotten it to work by jamming my phone into an awkward corner of my roof, it adds about 25-30 ms of latency, and is obviously a lot less stable. (when I have the internet to myself, that is)

I'll just do a bunch of research into a bunch of different routers/switches/firmware, and hopefully I'll figure out a solution.  I was hoping there would be some magic device that would keep her netflix addiction completely separate from my connection, but I guess not.

Just now, Silly Ducklings said:

I knew it would be a bitch to use, but from what I can tell openwrt is a bigger bitch to use. (could be 100% wrong, but that was my takeaway from glancing over both)  

If higher-grade QoS is anything like a per-device throttling application (netbalancer, cfosspeed, netlimiter) it'll 100% work.  I have to use netlimiter when windows 10 decides to force a mandatory update to download, and it works perfectly.

I've seriously considered 4g, but that will definitely be a last resort.  I have almost no service at my house so I would need an extender, and when I've gotten it to work by jamming my phone into an awkward corner of my roof, it adds about 25-30 ms of latency, and is obviously a lot less stable. (when I have the internet to myself, that is)

I'll just do a bunch of research into a bunch of different routers/switches/firmware, and hopefully I'll figure out a solution.  I was hoping there would be some magic device that would keep her netflix addiction completely separate from my connection, but I guess not.

Have you checked to see if there is a WISP in your area? While it would have higher latency it might be a better connection. Other wise, Id move. #kidding #notkidding 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Have you checked to see if there is a WISP in your area? While it would have higher latency it might be a better connection. Other wise, Id move. #kidding #notkidding 

There is one, but it offers a max of 10Mbps (they don't specify upload, so i'll assume thats for both...?) and it costs $180 per month, with an install fee of $150. (little tripod on the top of the house)  Plus the LoS around my area is not great at all.  We would probably have to get a tower of some sort.  I'm 17 and will be going off to college next year, and my other 2 siblings don't really want to move, so that isn't really an option either. :(

1 minute ago, Silly Ducklings said:

There is one, but it offers a max of 10Mbps (they don't specify upload, so i'll assume thats for both...?) and it costs $180 per month, with an install fee of $150. (little tripod on the top of the house)  Plus the LoS around my area is not great at all.  We would probably have to get a tower of some sort.

You have to take what you get. Im taking it you have DSL currently. Many companies are walking away from that service. Verizon and AT&T being the top two. Frontier is about the implode from all the debt they incurred buying unwanted Verizon territory. DSL is looking like the worst option every day. Plus 10 Mbps would be more that enough for gaming. Especially if your the only one using it. 

No cable company near you? 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You have to take what you get. Im taking it you have DSL currently. Many companies are walking away from that service. Verizon and AT&T being the top two. Frontier is about the implode from all the debt they incurred buying unwanted Verizon territory. DSL is looking like the worst option every day. Plus 10 Mbps would be more that enough for gaming. Especially if your the only one using it. 

No cable company near you? 

Nothing other than what I have now.  We contacted comcast last year about expanding on our road (they are like 1-2 miles away from us in every direction, and our road has a fairly large amount of houses for a rural area) and after calling them like 20 times over the past 8 months we just got in touch with them today, and they said they had no plans of coming here.  Some foreign guy from the ATT sales line said ATT was laying fiber in our area and it would be ready within 2 months, but I haven't seen any fiber conduit or trenches anywhere near where I live recently, so I'm pretty sure he was confusing the expansion in the entire state with just my road. 

17 minutes ago, Silly Ducklings said:

Nothing other than what I have now.  We contacted comcast last year about expanding on our road (they are like 1-2 miles away from us in every direction, and our road has a fairly large amount of houses for a rural area) and after calling them like 20 times over the past 8 months we just got in touch with them today, and they said they had no plans of coming here.  Some foreign guy from the ATT sales line said ATT was laying fiber in our area and it would be ready within 2 months, but I haven't seen any fiber conduit or trenches anywhere near where I live recently, so I'm pretty sure he was confusing the expansion in the entire state with just my road. 

So Comcast gave you the fuck you. Generally for a run like that they ask for $50K. At least they were up front about it. Unless your in a densely populated profitable area, AT&T aint running shit. You will be lucky if they continue to support DSL at this point. They have been deregulating phone lines in multiple states, so they can walk away from unprofitable areas. Then just serve those areas with LTE with low caps and high overages.