Looking to upgrade my larger monitor

So I have a 2 monitor setup. Well, atm it is  one tv (600x900) and one monitor (1080.)

I'm looking to replace TV on the left with something new. I'd prefer a monitor to TV honestly. It'd be nice to have a bigger screen that I could game on as well. I'm running a 290x atm but will be upgrading within a year, so looking for some future proofing. I do sometimes sit on the other side of the room, so size kind of matters. I have ~300-500$ to spend. But could be persuaded to go cheaper or more expensive depending on what kind of ideas you guys have.

Ty ahead of time 

-SpinTripFall  

12 minutes ago, SpinTripFall said:

So I have a 2 monitor setup. Well, atm it is  one tv (600x900) and one monitor (1080.)

I'm looking to replace TV on the left with something new. I'd prefer a monitor to TV honestly. It'd be nice to have a bigger screen that I could game on as well. I'm running a 290x atm but will be upgrading within a year, so looking for some future proofing. I do sometimes sit on the other side of the room, so size kind of matters. I have ~300-500$ to spend. But could be persuaded to go cheaper or more expensive depending on what kind of ideas you guys have.

Ty ahead of time 

-SpinTripFall  

Would a 1440p monitor be alright for you? It won't be too crazy with features like 1ms response time. I've seen a few with 5ms response time, G-Sync and pretty cheap too. If I were you, I wouldn't go ultra wide, they tend to be really, really big compared to what you expected. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

29 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Would a 1440p monitor be alright for you? It won't be too crazy with features like 1ms response time. I've seen a few with 5ms response time, G-Sync and pretty cheap too. If I were you, I wouldn't go ultra wide, they tend to be really, really big compared to what you expected. 

What do you mean by "they tend to be really , really big compared to what you expected" Haha! I would have said the opposite unless your wording is just confusing... a 34" ultrawide is the same size as a standard 27" for video consumption. 

I think a 27" 1440p is the sweet spot between size, price and performance. Its the perfect resolution with no need to scale for desktop use and great for gaming if you're planning to upgrade your GPU in the near future, although, depending on the game you'll be able to run 1440p no problem with a 290x. 

This would be my recommendation: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769

Its 1440p, 1ms response time, 144Hz with FreeSync (now a viable option again with the introduction of RX Vega). All the features you need, all for $400, although you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Mal, that looks like a pretty solid option. I'd like to get some more suggestions so I can compare. 

Just so i'm clear though, I can only do 1080p on an HDMI cable? would my 290x support 1440 at all, or would I be waiting until I upgrade my gpu for that? 

2 hours ago, SpinTripFall said:

Mal, that looks like a pretty solid option. I'd like to get some more suggestions so I can compare. 

Just so i'm clear though, I can only do 1080p on an HDMI cable? would my 290x support 1440 at all, or would I be waiting until I upgrade my gpu for that? 

Look at the sticky to determine what kind of throughput your intended cables and ports can support:

Your R9 290X WILL support 1440p.

Since you're buying a new monitor, I suggest you get one with DisplayPort input, and use that.

Would like to bump to get more suggestions on monitors.  Looking at 1440p, 27" or bigger, Displayport input, and finding something that fits those requirements for the best price?

I've found a couple things online myself, but i'm afraid, good deals often come with mixed reviews. Anybody got a plug? 

3 hours ago, SpinTripFall said:

Would like to bump to get more suggestions on monitors.  Looking at 1440p, 27" or bigger, Displayport input, and finding something that fits those requirements for the best price?

I've found a couple things online myself, but i'm afraid, good deals often come with mixed reviews. Anybody got a plug? 

60hz or 144hz?

Not entirely sure there. What kind of price difference would there be?