*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter
1 hour ago, Planeguy102 said:

My computer isn't the worst, but the fact still stands, it's an iMac, which is, quite honestly shit because of the fact that it can't support my favorite games like GTAV and Beamng.Drive (It's awesome look it up). The CPU is the only decent part of this "computer" because I can't really say anything about it other than the fact that it's impossible to overclock. The  Display is the only pretty thing, but that's not something I can use with a different computer, so it dies with the rest of it. The RAM, well, that is slow as shit. And it's not even DDR4. Yes, there are 16GB of it, but that's not worth anything if it can't load anything in from the hard drive. The Graphics card, when in use, makes the computer make an annoying hissing noise. And since there is only 2GB of VRAM, you can't expect it to do much. It's the worst when you want to, like me, start building a game, but don't have any hardware that can actually run it.

In the end, I believe that I should receive a trip to the Linus Cave for a chance to finally start fulfilling my dream of building a game of my own,  Mostly because I can't afford anything more than a small 700 dollar laptop.

Benchmarks:

Besiege, Full Settings, 1080p, runs around 12-15fps

Cities:Skylines, full settings, 2K, 40fps, when zooming in or out excessively, 15-10fps

Farming Simulator, Full Settings, 1080p, 60fps when standing still, moving causes 5-15fps, operating vehicles is only about 50fps

Simpleplanes, Full settings, 2K, runs pretty much at 60fps unless giant creations are involved

Software Inc, Full settings, 2K, runs at aropun 29.5- 31fps

GTAV cannot be tested

BeamNG.Drive cannot be tested

Cinebench Results can be found in the images included

All benchmarks are estimates because steam overlay does not work on my computer and the single fps counter for mac does not work in macOS Sierra

I highly doubt I'll win this competition, Just saying

I got the mac as a birthday present, so no questions about how i got it in the first place

Thanks for possibly considering my entry

Planeguy102

Specs

3.3GHz Intel i5 Quad-Core

16GB DDR3-1600

AMD Radeon R9 M290 2GB

1TB Hard Drive (Brand Unknown)

Havit Magic Eagle Mouse, Mousepad, and Keyboard

5K Retina Display (Included)

23" Asus 1080 monitor we had lying around

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 1.25.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.51.28 PM.png

just install a different OS on it... 

I am confidant I can be a strong contender for this event. I have a harrowing story to tell of how my ancient machine has kept me gaming against all odds. The specs alone should put me well ahead of the majority of entries I have seen so far. I plan to go full try-hard mode. It will probably take me a few days to get the entry together because I am going to need to learn how to use the primitive tools available to me, to do some things I have never done before, to make the kind of entry I want create. Winning this event would have a massive effect for me, so I want to give it my best shot.

@CPotter

I would appreciate some clarification on a few things if any of the staff see this.

1) How strict is the time limit?

If I need an extra 5 or 10 seconds to really make the entry excellent; am I hurting my chances more by cutting a few seconds out or leaving it a little too long?

2) Are you considering any information that is not communicated in the video itself?

Can I help my chances by writing out an extra paragraph (or essay) to post on the forum along with the video entry?

Thank you for running this promotion event. Good luck to all the contestants!

-JD

#ROGRigReboot 

I hope I win this prize I cannot even play minecraft without my computer crashing and I only get 10 fps on CSGO I hope I win and I know that this is not very creative I just cannot afford to upgrade my computer as my family has no money It is a AMD A6 7400k dual core with integrated r5 graphics with 8gb ddr3 ram and a 500 gb hard drive at 3.0 gb/s SATA

#ROGRigReboot

Edited by Regularjake55
Video has been re-edited

im sorry in an advance for sounding like a suckup but if you ready it through i thank you 

I have a dell inspiron15 laptop with a core i 5 and uggg "integrated graphics" i have system reset it 7 times to get rid of all the background programs its lasted me 4 years going but ugg games i have gmod and well it runs and a steady 15 frames per second yay but anyways i am 13 and i absolutly love your videos everybody in my school thinks im weird when i talk about my dream pc they say i have a pc fetish but are they right. back on track the only semi decent gaming thing which i have is the logitech g403 which is decent so basically my setup is on a love couch well thats what my parents call it and so and i use two 1 inch binders one for my laptop so it doesent thermal throttle and one for my mouse so i have something to set it on i have a desk in my room but its wood and i hate how it looks and the wifi in my room is horible im planing on getting a better desk but i just dont have the money i have always wanted to meet you linus right now i am not sitting on the couch because my parents told me to move my stuff when my sister and her friends had a sleep over.

i know my setup doesent seem like much but i can run some games on lowest setting that i enjoy like robocraft and from the depths but it will freez i the game gets to complicated or something like that i tried running ida 64 and that was the last of that i can mainly watch youtube and minor stuff once i started watching you i went back and watched so many of your older videos i hope i get picked but if you read this far i thankyou so much you would make my life so much better

0812172019.jpg

1 hour ago, ToxicAegis said:

#ROGRigReboot

This is my entry, apologies in advance for the poor audio/video quality, it was recorded on my phone.

My Dad taught me everything I know about computers, had me learning from him at a very young age. I'd help him when he was fixing them for the neighbours and things like that. I've owned and worked on many different things in the past, all older laptops or desktops with the classic steel case and cream plastic, so this was my first chance to work on a more 'modern' computer. As such, the case was the first part I bought, it's a Raidmax Viper GX I got it about 2 years ago for ~$80. The CPU and Motherboard were taken from an old HP pre-built that a friend gave me a few months back, that's also where the Monitor and Keyboard came from. The mouse is an Azio Levatron, basically the coolest looking thing I could find for $15. The RAM was salvaged from a pile of old parts left behind from when my Dad was still fixing and tinkering, he passed away a few years back. The GTX970 was definitely not planned. I found it for a steal at ~180 on eBay and jumped on it(That's Canadian Pesos btw). I haven't since then been able to save up enough to buy the Motherboard/CPU/RAM as I want to buy them all together in case anything arrives dead. I mainly enjoy modding Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) and since the addition of the 970 I can actually play a bit of Skyrim on Minimum Settings with about 30FPS in most areas, and no graphical mods, just new armours and weapons. Fallout 4 is completely unplayable, and Halo 5 Forge won't even launch. Blender and GIMP don't run well either.

Sorry for the paragraph, but the video was soo short. Thanx for the consideration, and to anyone who takes the time to read this.

at least i doesent have integrated graphics like my laptop

#ROGRigReboot #FirstAttempts

Mine is in two parts, because i'm not taran or brandon, no editing softwares.

Edit : Oh, speaking of that, do you have any free editing software able to help me do a basic videos and encoding?

And second, can someone help me with my new crappy webcam? Cause this is horribly filmed. ( Creative live "hd" VF0790 ) Went to their site, downloaded the software, the installer dosen't detect it, but my devices have the drivers and is detected by all other softwares, or else i coudnt film this.

Edited by Hyraelle
Whole new text

I'd love to be able to make a better video but 1:00 is very constraining. Please consider me for the new PC Build. Thanks!

Specs because I forgot to put that in the video

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @2.80GHZ

504MB of RAM (not optimal for video production)

Graphics Card: Lol I wish

Also I just fixed the audio so the music isnt blaring quite as loud

Edited by noS.
Forgot to add Specs/Fixed audio

@noS. Could you rework the sound volume between you talking and the music parts? My speakers almost exploded when that music kicked in :P

@Hyraelle Luckily still at my friends, so I'll re-render it. Thanks for the catch I hadn't noticed with the audio so low

So Should I just Reply To This Thread With The Video Of My Shitty PC

Just now, McFurtleTog said:

Thats What I did

6 minutes ago, McFurtleTog said:

do not forget to put #Rogrigreboot to be sure your entry will be counted in.

I think I might apply to this contest...

• CPU
    Intel Pentium G620T 2.2 GHz
  • Motherboard
    PEGATRON 2AD4
  • RAM
    Micron 8JTF25664AZ-1G4D1 Samsung M378B5273CH0-CH9 6GB
  • GPU
    Intel HD 2000 (Desktop 1.1 GHz)
  • Storage
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB
  • Display(s)
    1360 x 768 - 32 Bit colors
  • Cooling
    intel stock cooler
  • Keyboard
    HP K1500 Keyboard
  • Mouse
    logitech m215
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Hi! I am a 11 year old and I would like to enter #ROGRigReboot! If I win I will be accompanied by a adult. My video can be watched in the link below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9EOFmpYZI

Please read the description and at all of you guys at Linus Media Group, Have a nice day! :)

#ROGRigReboot

On 8/11/2017 at 4:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations which we're hoping to do on September 7th here in Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

#ROGRigReboot 

pick me plz :D

#ROGRigReboot

My epic entry of awesomeness.

@CPotter @LinusTech

Edit: I'd also like to add that I had a blast making this with my kiddo, some of those scenes were his idea. If nothing else, we had a fun afternoon together. Thanks!

Edited by b3ar
Stupid embedding stupidity. Also shoutout to my dude.

#RogRigReboot

Hello Linus and Asus. This is my gaming rig, featuring a part of my Yu-Gi-Oh card collection. As you see here, I have strategically placed the device, received from my local Credit Union, in the graveyard... I'll leave you to figure out why. The device can theoretically run any game that uses less than 8gb of space... but I was not able to gather any further data for this device. Honestly, without a better rig I doubt that I can run much of anything.

Tech Specs:
Device Type: Universal Serial Bus External Flash Drive
Model: (unknown)
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Storage Capacity: 8gb
Storage Type: Flash
-----MISC-----
Device Color: LMG Orange
Device Style: Rotary cover
Cost-Performance: $0/1gb

Music is property of Dennis Martin and the rest of the team who created The Legend of Dragoon. I do not claim ownership of this soundtrack, in part or in whole.

#RogRigReboot

Might as well post this now, because , Hey VSauce Michel Here. #rogrigreboot

Edited by Shadow15243
#rogrigreboot Had to add this

#ROGRigReboot

Ok so. I've calmed down now, let me explain my situation. I have an Alienware Alpha. No joke, this thing can't run ROBLOX, i mean ROBLOX! Come on a 2006 dell laptop can run that. I swear the graphics in this thing are so bad that intel's integrated graphics outperform this thing. If i cant run ROBLOX the few times i want to, and my friend with a Pentium HP laptop runs it perfectly you know there is a problem here. For example, my computer wouldn't even load what i needed it to in order to make a proper submission to this contest! The really sad part here is that none of the stuff i wanted to do was even gaming related?! Like how the hell am i supposed to do this if i can't even have a PC that works. So, you got a freak out. But putting the freakout aside, lets look at what little i remember about the specs of this "PC". 

CPU: i3 4130T. Idk the specs of it but all i can tell is that it can't open steam

GPU (not video card): Very Special "Custom GPU" from NVidia made just for this PC. with 2 gigs of VRAM somehow thats not sufficient for anything i need to do

RAM: 4 gigs of DDR(insert absurdly low number here because it doesn't tell me what it is and also can't support google chrome)

HDD: 500 Gigs of useless space that i can't fill up because of steam killing itself on this PC

Case: Its alienware... there is no "CASE"

Reason why it sucks: Its Alienware

RGB: Blue

What i wanna replace this potato with lights with: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MGOGames/saved/jF7VnQ

Dear Linus Media Co. Please take my begging ass into consideration. I may only be 14 but i plan on doing so much with my PC that this one can't handle what i want to do. Please Linus and Asus. I never beg but I can't save up for my own PC because i have no job and i need a new one ASAP because of how bad this one and that i need to do stuff with it. Thank you all for considering my worthless self as a candidate for a PC replacement. And good luck to everyone! 

-MGO

Will you be checking indtagram for the post too? Like all of them?

Edited by Blu29687
I thought i could turn on "notify me when people reply" i guess not