*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter
8 hours ago, cw49327 said:

I am from Australia, am i able to participate if i pay for my own plane tickets?

P.S. When does the competition end?

Linus may not get to reply to you anytime soon, I would suggest going ahead and making your video and when he gets to watch it he will be able to tell you if you will be able to be in the competition

On 8/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations which we're hoping to do on September 7th here in Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

Yeah, I don't even have a full pc.  Everything, from my monitor, speakers and so on, is hooked up to an Acer aspire one netbook...hurray

My computer is not really the best, but it gets the job done. It is comprised of a bunch of random parts that I salvaged from various old computers and things that i found cheap on craigslist. It runs games like Overwatch and CS:GO on low settings at around 25 fps, and I occasionally play games like GTA: 5 at 15-20 fps. Some people probably think that its unbearable, but I've gotten pretty used to it. All the peripherals are either from Goodwill, or are cheap and get the job done.

Fun fact: You used an iMac G3 in your video, and I actually have an iMac G5 in my room, which I use for editing easier projects (not this one, since it can't run Premiere Pro) and for school work.)

Anyway, for some reason, my idiot mind thought it would be a good idea to make a little parody out of this. At first I was gonna do a movie trailer, but for some reason settled on a T.V. show intro parody, which I did FRIENDS. (dont ask, i have a dumb mind :$) #ROGRigReboot

Specs: 

Intel Core2Duo E6400

5GB DDR2 RAM

RADEON HD 4350 512mb

500GB Samsung HDD

A DISK DRIVE :D

Peripherals:

Some Samsung Monitor 1680x1050

Some "Gaming" Membrane Keyboard

GIGABYTE Force M7 Thor Mouse

A Cheap Logitech Headset

On 8/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations which we're hoping to do on September 7th here in Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

#ROGRigReboot sadly my gaming pc just died trying to play players unknown battlegrounds it has Amd Radeon r7 240 2gb 1tb hard drive 8b of ddr3 ram intel i5 4460 processer and a 300w power 

1502654644531-1890746610.jpg

1502654966226506808727.jpg

On 8/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

- Story

- Creativity

*Does it include a monitor if you win

I feel like Im not gonna win but I really hope someone else out there wins and gets that insane pc upgrade they need ??

Okay, so that's my #ROGRigReboot entry and if you couldn't tell by the title it's a rap.

My specs are:

- Intel Celeron N3060

- 4GB of Ram

- Intel Integrated Graphics

- 32GB of storage

I used Novabench and got the score of 332. (The average score of an i3 is 552)

I don't know if a laptop counts, but I made a rap so I did my best... it has puns...

I'm not able to play really anything. I keep buying stuff but I always have to refund them because they never work except really small indie games.

Edit: By the way, my laptop is non-upgradable so I would need a full PC.

Also, I'm 12 (will be 13 by the time the winner says get flown out) and live in Florida.

#ROGRigReboot

#ROGRigReboot

Thank you Linus and your team for putting together a fun and open competition, can't wait to see the builds the winners get to create. Good luck to everyone who has entered!

Lenovo y510p Media Laptop:

-        Intel core i7

-        2 GTX 750M in SLI (crappier than it sounds, trust me)

-        1TB HDD storage

-        15.6” 1366x768 display

This is my entree to
R ock n' Roll

O n

G rey

R ivers

i nto

g reat

R ogRigReboot

e ntreeship

b ecause

o mg

o mg

t atertots

#ROGRigReboot 

This is the best computer in the house, believe it or not. 

It's a 27-inch iMac from late 2013. We got it off Kijiji for a good price (whatever a "good" price was back in the day) and I've been playing on it ever since. I started off with easier to run games like minecraft, but as I got bigger, so did my desire to play FPS games and Graphics-Intense games. CSGO ran at a playable rate, until I tweaked the settings and managed to get it to run at ~ 60fps. Then CSGO got old, and I wanted to try new games. Cue Rainbow Six Siege launch. At first, I couldn't even run the game because of OSX. I did research and found out about BootCamp. Up to now, I've been playing those three games most of the time, but sometimes I play other games too like the ones in the video.

My parents are the type of parents who want the simplest product. That's why we've only ever bough AIOs. I keep trying to explain to them why a desktop PC is better, but they just shut me down. I thought maybe if I could get it, I could show them why Desktop PC > AIO. Unfortunately, they never let me buy one. I think it's because of the price, so when I saw this video, I was really excited. I learned how to use Davinci Resolve and OBS in a single day just for this Rig Reboot (+Points for effort?)

To this point, I spend my time watching LTT videos, making builds on PCPartPicker just for fun, and playing whatever games I can on this iMac.

I am 14 years old and it would be a dream of mine to build a gaming rig, especially with ASUS. Asus has always been my favorite brand, and on PCPartPicker, I always use their products. It's true that they don't give the best value for price items, but they sure as hell make the products look and perform amazingly when compared to competing products.

PS, I know the video is longer that the specified time limit, it's just that I'm way too excited and I can't wait til the end of the giveaway. Good luck to all participants.

Specs : 

Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.2GHZ

GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

Unknown Motherboard

32GB DDR3 Ram (Upgraded from 16)

Peripherals: 

Corsair VOID USB 

Keyboard Mouse Bundle from Cooler Master

Video Link : 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

- Story

- Creativity

#ROGRigReboot

Click for video thank you for what you do i love to watch your videos i have been wanting to do twitch and youtibe for a very long time but so i saved up and bought probly the worst laptop fpr the money and i would love to be able to do what i love for a living thank you for your time #ROGRigReboot  

#ROGRigReboot

Old Windows XP "gaming"computer cant even play CS 1.6 its my first and only computer please consider me for your grand prize.

I'm sorry that its too long please still consider my PC. I would love to meet you Linus i'm a really big fan and I also love Asus its the best brand for PC components and also pre-built PCs. I really don't have the money to build a new computer please help me be able to play games that are newer than Doom and minesweeper this PC cant even run Cinebench and can barley play you tube videos.

My story is simple, I wish I could game on a pc but I can't because my current rig is old and clunky. I have two kids and can't afford to spend money on any new parts. Love your channel and never miss an upload. Thanks for the chance, at least I can dream for a week or two. 

3 hours ago, FLAMINGxFURY said:

Linus may not get to reply to you anytime soon, I would suggest going ahead and making your video and when he gets to watch it he will be able to tell you if you will be able to be in the competition

Thanks for the advice :) 

#ROGRigReboot 

Video of the computer

People in the replies and in youtube comments been saying that people who already owns a beefy computer could just go out and buy a cheap walmart laptop and make up a sop story. Well, that's not the case here. I actually don't make much money, so I can't afford a nice computer. Most of my money went on a drawing tablet I gotten months ago. 

I could really get a decent computer, not just from gaming, but for creating stuff. I always wanted to make animation and art. Yeah, this computer is at least fast enough to make basic animations. But nothing complex. for the past 3 years, I taught myself basic motion graphics and video editing. I'm able to do simple edits, but it's pretty slow for workstation stuff. I started teaching myself how to animate and draw cartoons. However, I'm not that great yet. I'm a fan of LinusTechTips and I really want to build a nice gig but I don't have the money to.

Capture.PNG

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

Gosh darn it!If this took event on a weekend and If I were a winner then I would've been able to go(you don't hear that everyday ?).

Please also see video description.

Would be so awesome if I won. Thanks for some great videos Linus. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to fix please do say so.

In case you are wondering how I got the gear I do have, it was from money from an exit pack from a previous employer and savings.

Edited by Madnessinme

#ROGRigReboot

Hello everyone! Here is my video and story:

Quick Specs:

Motherboard: Acer H57M01

CPU: Intel i3 530

GPU: Nvidia GTX 460

Memory: 8GB DDR3 (miss-matched brands)

PSU: Rocketfish 500W

Backstory:

Once upon a time, I had a pretty decent PC. This was around 2005/2006. It was the first PC I ever built and I was a super happy 15 year old kid. Eventually however, it experienced mass hardware failure in late 2009 which lead me to build the monstrosity I've put before you. I was (and only next month will I no longer be) a starving student, who was working at Futureshop. The only way I could afford to start gaming again was to convince my manager to give me a good deal on a PC that no one in their right mind should game on, so I picked up this Gateway DX4831-01C Desktop and a GTX 460 and went home on my merry way. Upon arriving home I realized that the stock PSU didn't have the connectors for my 460, so I went back to my store and bought the only PSU that could dot he job, a Rocketfish (that's Best Buy / Futureshop brand btw) 500W PSU, slapped her in there, and she's been chugging along for about 7 years now.

Fun Anecdotes:

(1) Upon moving in to my new house, I thought, "You know what? I've been subjugating myself to boring, average internet for my whole life like some filthy casual. I'm going to treat myself to some fast internet!" So the Telus guy came in and hooked it all up, but Ookla was telling me I was only getting half of what I was supposed to. After some research I found out that my motherboard didn't support my speed! I was paying for premium internet for about 2 months that my motherboard couldn't support.

(2) I can't turn it off. Or rather, I really don't want to. It's been on for about 3 or 4 months now because it has a lot of trouble booting up. It will just brick on me, sometimes for days at a time. I've tried to troubleshoot it, but my research suggests there's a PSU or motherboard issue, so rather than shovelling more money in to it, I just don't turn it off. I long for the day that I can turn my PC off without fear.

(3) I've had to potato-fy pretty much every game I run. Overwatch is the game I play the most by far, and running it at everything turn as low as it can go at 100% render scale gives me between 20-40 fps, so I run it at a fuzzy 75% render scale, and has stated in the video before I removed the side panel, my GPU would run at about 89 C.

(4) It took about 15 minutes to export that 1 minute video.

Real Talk:

In all seriousness, I haven't been able to afford a new PC in the last 7 years due to being a student, and working jobs that just cover my expenses. I've just graduated with my teaching certificate and I'm going to begin teaching high school math here in the greater Vancouver area this September (yay!). It would mean the world to me if I were to be one of the winners of this contest so I can fully enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. I've been picking out parts for what seems like years now without every being able to afford a new PC, and to finally build one with one of my favorite YouTubers would just be so exciting and so much fun.

Also, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I am the closest to LMG HQ than anyone who will be applying:

So no tickets for me, I'll happily drive over.

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone!

Map.bmp

41 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAlan__ said:

Do you guys count Mexico as North America?

Should be, it's on the north american plate.