*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter
13 hours ago, porterninja3 said:

Well i had this pc it just got stolen while i was gone so looks like im nolonger in this 

well it is a upgrade so u never know maybe they will still consider u

On 8/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations which we're hoping to do on September 7th here in Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

https://app.frame.io/r/Z0B9NWF3

I hope you guys can help me out in getting a new rig! #ROGRigReboot

Hi linus 

My name is Luuk and I want really bad a new PC reasons in the video.

I hope I win because I am a great fan I want a new pc AND i really want to meat the linus crew.

Bye and maybe in America

Hi, my name is Austin, this is my rig, it's a bit old, and It I built it with all used components, and it does pretty decent with E-sports titles, but lacks in performance with newer titles, anyways I present to you my computer. I explain all the components I used for my build as well as 3 benchmarks in the video, #ROGRigReboot I hope I get featured.

My PC cant run csgo on lowest settings I get 12 fps I cant run gmod i get 4 fps i have the AMD phenom ii x4 clocked at 2.6ghz that is paired with the gtx 8400 gs it has 512 MB of v-ram its the worst i cant even run minecraft or the binding of Issac. I've been dealing with this hunk of trash for 8 years but I'm too broke to be able to afford a better PC please help me.

#ROGRigReboot Fyi it wouldn't really load steam so I can't really play any games, but it does run google chrome.

#ROGRigReboot 

This is for my Brother Matt Mcpherson. He turned 28 years old on July 8th so this would be a fantastic belated birthday present. He and I built his computer together back in 2012. Man was he super excited to experience being apart of the PC Master race :D. Now, Years later, He is looking to upgrade after his PC slowly got worse and worse with newer and newer games. We used to play a TON of World of Warcraft together, Crysis, EVERY SINGLE BORDERLANDS GAME, Just cause and so much more. well, He now sticks with games like Rust on super low settings and he has purchased just about every Final Fantasy available on Steam. His system can Hardly run anything decent. We built this for hardcore gaming, but as you can tell it no longer fits even minimum requirements. When we built this computer many years ago, we actually referenced NCIX tech tips for a lot of what we wanted. I think it would be amazing if Linus and Asus Built him a new Gaming computer so we can game together once again. You guys have our love here from Wisconsin.

#ROGRigReboot

Case - Antec 1200

PSU - Corsair TX650

GPU - MSI Twin Frozr II 460  768mb

MOBO - Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3

RAM - 2x2gb XMS 3 DDR3 

HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200

AIR COOLER - Thermaltake Frio

Monitor - some crappy LG LED

well, I have said my peace, please accept this as a winning entry. My brother is a father of 2 beautiful girls and works his ass off all week to support his family. This would be a Gesture he would never forget. Thank you Linus and Thank you Asus. Can I get a #Beardedman ? 

#ROGRIGREBOOT

34yrs old. Married. 2 kids. Going through radiology schooling. Major science nerd minoring in no scoping half your team!  #Dedicatedtoallspectrumsoflife

This PC has become the villain in my house!  If the Death Star is a fully operational Battle station mecha PC of today.  Then this my friends would be eual to the helmet of some random (I never hit any good guys when I shoot at them) Stormtrooper that doesn't leave for battle because he is a liability.  I would love to play modern games(CS:GO, LOL, DOTA2, Starcraft 2, Stream via twitch) but this system will st-st-studder it's way to failure with it's whopping fps rate equal to that of a 3 toe'd sloth racing Ferrari's. 

Built 2008:

Intel Core 2 Duo @3Ghz

4GB Corsair XMS @800Mhz

Seagate Barracuda 256GB

GeForce GT 730

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

500W EVGA

Cinebench R15 scores: CPU: 98!!!(c-c-c-c-combobreaker[you know...Killer Instinct])

GPU: 24.32fps(Ultra, Ultra, Ultra[see above for reference])

On 8/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, CPotter said:

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot

Here is my video! #ROGRigReboot

( also I'm actually in Canada, Vancouver island to be specific)

Hello Linus Media Group and the Asus Republic of gamers

I'm Master Corporal Mike Quigley with the Canadian armed forces from Fredericton New Brunswick Canada. I work day to day as a Combat Engineer Shooting guns, Playing with Explosives and defending the freedoms of the those that can not fight for them selves... Most of the time I spend my days teaching new soldiers the basics and chasing their Administration problems and appointments. I use video games to escape the empty void that is my life (Don't tell my wife I said that). Please help me I Desperately need a #ROGRigReboot I want to play new games and VR on the HTC Vive... 4K and 1080p. 144 to 166Hz. Regular to ultra wide. I am so tired of console gaming on the PS4. I need to upgrade to the PC master race.

So bottom line.

Here is My Sony Vaio

AMD A10-5745M APU w/ Radeon 8610G HD Graphics 2100MHz... it is locked so no overclock....Sad, real sad.

4 Core, 4 Threads...... No Threadripping here

8 GB Ram.... Not bad but could be better

1 TB HDD.... So Slow, but not bad for space... Maybe an SSD or NVME or M.2 anything would be faster

usually around 42 to 45 dB under load..... fairly quiet compared to my last laptop not quite as loud as a fridge.

Benchmarks?!?

SteamVR - Not ready

PUBG on ultra low settings FPS - 1 to 7 - totally unplayable surprised it starts

Custom H1Z1 Kotk ultra low settings FPS - 15 to 25 - Looks like junk but is playable

Payday 2 on low settings FPS - 15 to 25 -  looks good and plays slow

Dirt 3 on high settings FPS - 18 to 30 - looks great plays good and is pretty fun

Really anything that is not GPU intensive runs at 30 to 60 FPS. Good luck to everyone that enters.

CPU cinebench.png

openGL cinebench.png

cpu single core cinebench.png

#ROGRIGREBOOT Here is my video! I don't care to win this as my computer isn't that bad of a computer. It plays most games I want to play without issues other than total war and gta 5. I am only making this video cause I think it would be cool to get to fly out and meet Linus! I am a big fan love the videos. I did the video with a cell phone cause that is all I have *CRIES* I play league, total war warhammer and GTA 5 with other games.

My BM is for GTA 5 cause my CPU has the hardest time playing that game. I look forward to your up coming videos follow AMD as well! :D

My computer build!.mp4

My computer isn't the worst, but the fact still stands, it's an iMac, which is, quite honestly shit because of the fact that it can't support my favorite games like GTAV and Beamng.Drive (It's awesome look it up). The CPU is the only decent part of this "computer" because I can't really say anything about it other than the fact that it's impossible to overclock. The  Display is the only pretty thing, but that's not something I can use with a different computer, so it dies with the rest of it. The RAM, well, that is slow as shit. And it's not even DDR4. Yes, there are 16GB of it, but that's not worth anything if it can't load anything in from the hard drive. The Graphics card, when in use, makes the computer make an annoying hissing noise. And since there is only 2GB of VRAM, you can't expect it to do much. It's the worst when you want to, like me, start building a game, but don't have any hardware that can actually run it.

In the end, I believe that I should receive a trip to the Linus Cave for a chance to finally start fulfilling my dream of building a game of my own,  Mostly because I can't afford anything more than a small 700 dollar laptop.

Benchmarks:

Besiege, Full Settings, 1080p, runs around 12-15fps

Cities:Skylines, full settings, 2K, 40fps, when zooming in or out excessively, 15-10fps

Farming Simulator, Full Settings, 1080p, 60fps when standing still, moving causes 5-15fps, operating vehicles is only about 50fps

Simpleplanes, Full settings, 2K, runs pretty much at 60fps unless giant creations are involved

Software Inc, Full settings, 2K, runs at around 29.5- 31fps

GTAV cannot be tested

BeamNG.Drive cannot be tested

Cinebench Results can be found in the images included

Novabench Score can also be found in the images

All benchmarks are estimates because steam overlay does not work on my computer and the single fps counter for mac does not work in macOS Sierra

I highly doubt I'll win this competition, Just saying

I got the mac as a birthday present, so no questions about how i got it in the first place

Thanks for possibly considering my entry

Planeguy102

Specs

3.3GHz Intel i5 Quad-Core

16GB DDR3-1600

AMD Radeon R9 M290 2GB

1TB Hard Drive (Brand Unknown)

Havit Magic Eagle Mouse, Mousepad, and Keyboard

5K Retina Display (Included)

23" Asus 1080 monitor we had lying around

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 1.25.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 3.51.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 4.48.43 PM.png

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

2 minutes ago, Planeguy102 said:

My computer isn't the worst, but the fact still stands, it's an iMac, which is, quite honestly shit because of the fact that it can't support my favorite games like GTAV and Beamng.Drive (It's awesome look it up). The CPU is the only decent part of this "computer" because I can't really say anything about it other than the fact that it's impossible to overclock. The  Display is the only pretty thing, but that's not something I can use with a different computer, so it dies with the rest of it. The RAM, well, that is slow as shit. And it's not even DDR4. Yes, there are 16GB of it, but that's not worth anything if it can't load anything in from the hard drive. The Graphics card, when in use, makes the computer make an annoying hissing noise. And since there is only 2GB of VRAM, you can't expect it to do much. It's the worst when you want to, like me, start building a game, but don't have any hardware that can actually run it.

In the end, I believe that I should receive a trip to the Linus Cave for a chance to finally start fulfilling my dream of building a game of my own,  Mostly because I can't afford anything more than a small 700 dollar laptop.

Benchmarks:

Besiege, Full Settings, 1080p, runs around 12-15fps

Cities:Skylines, full settings, 2K, 40fps, when zooming in or out excessively, 15-10fps

Farming Simulator, Full Settings, 1080p, 60fps when standing still, moving causes 5-15fps, operating vehicles is only about 50fps

Simpleplanes, Full settings, 2K, runs pretty much at 60fps unless giant creations are involved

Software Inc, Full settings, 2K, runs at aropun 29.5- 31fps

GTAV cannot be tested

BeamNG.Drive cannot be tested

All benchmarks are estimates because steam overlay does not work on my computer and the single fps counter for mac does not work in macOS Sierra

I highly doubt I'll win this competition, Just saying

I got the mac as a birthday present, so no questions about how i got it in the first place

Thanks for possibly considering my entry

Planeguy102

Specs

3.3GHz Intel i5 Quad-Core

16GB DDR3-1600

AMD Radeon R9 M290 2GB

1TB Hard Drive (Brand Unknown)

Havit Magic Eagle Mouse, Mousepad, and Keyboard

5K Retina Display (Included)

23" Asus 1080 monitor we had lying around

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 1.25.44 PM.png

That's a really good computer you got there. I own cities skylines but can't even launch it

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

That's a really good computer you got there. I own cities skylines but can't even launch it

The issue still stands; ITS A MAC, IT CAN'T GAME

or at least it has compatibility issues with my half of my games

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Just now, Planeguy102 said:

The issue still stands; ITS A MAC, IT CAN'T GAME

or at least it has compatibility issues with my half of my games

my issue also still stands

ITS A MAC, IT CAN'T GAME, AND IT HAS A CORE 2 DUO

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

my issue also still stands

ITS A MAC, IT CAN'T GAME, AND IT HAS A CORE 2 DUO

My biggest issue in this situation is the fact that it's not upgradeable, but you are most definitely more eligible than me because you have a dual core. I feel ya.

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

1 minute ago, Planeguy102 said:

My biggest issue in this situation is the fact that it's not upgradeable, but you are most definitely more eligible than me because you have a dual core. I feel ya.

i also feel ya

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

DISCLAIMER: I know it's supposed to be a video entry, but I will not be in the same state as my rig until the day after entries close, so here are my specs, may be slightly inaccurate:

Late 2009 iMac

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.06 GHz

4GB DDR3 ram @1066 MHz

NVIDIA Geforce 9400M GPU with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM

500GB 7200-rpm SATA hard drive

Peripherals:

Apple Wireless Keyboard

$25 USB mouse

Earbuds included with the Galaxy S8

Can run:

Rocket League, lowest graphics settings @ 1-9 FPS (unplayable)

Portal, normal settings @ 30 FPS

Portal 2, normal settings @ 12-60 FPS

Minecraft, normal settings @ 9-15 FPS

Terraria, normal settings @ around 15 FPS

Most of these are just using the FPS counter in Steam, but a few are just estimates since I can't actually check. (None are actual benchmarks of any kind)

Cannot Run:

Pretty much anything more intense that Rocket League, and all games not available on Mac (duh).  I have not tried to run many other games due to a move across the US and a lack of good free games for Mac.

I got the "rig" around fall of 2013 after my mom upgraded to a 2013 Macbook Air and gave it to me.  I started using it for gaming in fall of 2015, and finally got it set up in my new house 7 months ago.

It would be great to get a #ROGRigReboot so I could actually play games, maybe even, you know, smoothly! (This would also be the first Windows computer I've had, since all my previous computers were 4+ year old Macs from my mom.

#ROGRigReboot

This is my entry, apologies in advance for the poor audio/video quality, it was recorded on my phone.

My Dad taught me everything I know about computers, had me learning from him at a very young age. I'd help him when he was fixing them for the neighbours and things like that. I've owned and worked on many different things in the past, all older laptops or desktops with the classic steel case and cream plastic, so this was my first chance to work on a more 'modern' computer. As such, the case was the first part I bought, it's a Raidmax Viper GX I got it about 2 years ago for ~$80. The CPU and Motherboard were taken from an old HP pre-built that a friend gave me a few months back, that's also where the Monitor and Keyboard came from. The mouse is an Azio Levatron, basically the coolest looking thing I could find for $15. The RAM was salvaged from a pile of old parts left behind from when my Dad was still fixing and tinkering, he passed away a few years back. The GTX970 was definitely not planned. I found it for a steal at ~180 on eBay and jumped on it(That's Canadian Pesos btw). I haven't since then been able to save up enough to buy the Motherboard/CPU/RAM as I want to buy them all together in case anything arrives dead. I mainly enjoy modding Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) and since the addition of the 970 I can actually play a bit of Skyrim on Minimum Settings with about 30FPS in most areas, and no graphical mods, just new armours and weapons. Fallout 4 is completely unplayable, and Halo 5 Forge won't even launch. Blender and GIMP don't run well either.

Sorry for the paragraph, but the video was soo short. Thanx for the consideration, and to anyone who takes the time to read this.

I tried my best with this video  I got this for free from my mom's work. I meant to say 20 fps on tf2 but whatever. My specs now:

Intel Core i7 2600

Dell Optiplex 990 Motherboard 

Dell OptiPlex 990 case

8gb ddr3 RAM

240w power supply

Radon HD 6560 Graphics

Stock Intel cooler

Crappy dell keyboard

Polaroid 1080p TV

Thanks for the chance to enter, this is my video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-s9Vabp-aGUkZLc1Y4UVBLSFU/view?usp=sharing

#ROGRigReboot

I can't play any games more demanding than tf2 and when I modified the settings for The Division and The Crew in the files to below minimum details. This is usable for no more than web browsing. Thanks to anyone who bothered to read all of this. My current one is junk.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1flJc5pEP7AqBCoHAPnmvIkZNJVvY42w_NZ2ErBNIifo/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry I couldn't edit the video if you can't tell my computer can't handle that.

There's my amazing PC... honestly it probably needs no upgrades, I mean  lets be real