How should I spend my money?

Oberon.Smite

I was originally going to work until the end of the summer but to make a long story short my coworker assaulted me and I'm taking them to court and also I quit my job. Anyways, I got my last paycheck and it was about 450 dollars. Had I worked to the end of the summer I would have made about 400 more, however that doesn't exist anymore so I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my money... The biggest things I need to upgrade in my PC are either the GPU or the monitor. I have an R9 280, and while it's an older GPU it's still holding up decently in even the newer titles. I can usually turn things down to a mix of high/medium setting and I get constant 60fps. My monitor is a Dell 1680x1050 that I use mostly for gaming. The question is, should I buy a decent 24' 1080p monitor or just upgrade my GPU to a VEGA 56/64?

Edit: Wow, people here make a lot of assumptions. The job is a summer job and I'm using the money to fund my hobbies... My living expenses are taken care of.

New PSU, more RAM, new GPU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, Oberon.Smite said:

I was originally going to work until the end of the summer but to make a long story short my coworker assaulted me and I'm taking them to court and also I quit my job. Anyways, I got my last paycheck and it was about 450 dollars. Had I worked to the end of the summer I would have made about 400 more, however that doesn't exist anymore so I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my money... The biggest things I need to upgrade in my PC are either the GPU or the monitor. I have an R9 280, and while it's an older GPU it's still holding up decently in even the newer titles. I can usually turn things down to a mix of high/medium setting and I get constant 60fps. My monitor is a Dell 1680x1050 that I use mostly for gaming. The question is, should I buy a decent 24' 1080p monitor or just upgrade my GPU to a VEGA 56/64?

Not taking into consideration of your current situation, if you are feeling the age of your GPU with your current monitor, such as low FPS or lag then I would get GPU first. If you are not, then I went get monitor first. If you are already experiencing performance issues, going to a higher resolution monitor will just make it worse so GPU. But if you are fine now, then monitor.

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

New PSU, more RAM, new GPU.

Why the PSU matter tho?

Just now, Oberon.Smite said:

Why the PSU matter tho?

It's a meh quality unit I would recommend replacing when you get higher end hardware

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

The PSU is not the best but it's ok for your needs for now.

GPU is old but according to your needs holding up.

8GB RAM are fine for gaming so I wouldn't go there either. (unless you got a buttload fo chrome tabs running in the background).

A better monitor would be the most important upgrade from what I can tell. Go for a 1080p display as you already pointed out. The GPU will keep up, maybe you got to tune the games down a bit more here or there, but that shouldn't be to dramatic.

Next in line would be a GPU then :-)

I seriously question your priorities. $450 and no job and you expect to go to court? The legal fees alone will strip that last check like it's pocket change.

If you can get something out of it more power to you, but basic living expenses without a job far outweigh a metal box with parts crammed inside.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

I seriously question your priorities. $450 and no job and you expect to go to court? The legal fees alone will strip that last check like it's pocket change.

If you can get something out of it more power to you, but basic living expenses without a job far outweigh a metal box with parts crammed inside.

You should look at my profile and check my age, and I might not even take her to court because it looks like she might be an illegal immigrant with no papers. Regardless, even if I was taking her to court my mom has enough money to cover legal costs... I only have 450 dollars because I want to buy all parts for my system from my own money and not from my mom's... People in this forum need to stop assuming they know what's going in my life. Fuck off you w33b tbh.