What should i look in for motherboards?

Hello!

So as the title says, what should i look in for motherboards?

I wanted to buy MSI Z270 Gaming Pro (165 eur in my country), but the guy in one of my local store said that they don't have that one and to get this one Gigabyte Intel MB GA-B250M-D2V (65 eur)

So what should i take? Is that 100 eur difference worth it?

Other components:

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5

Intel i5-7600K

G.SKILL 16GB Ripjaws V DDR4 2400MHz

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W (or COOLER MASTER MasterWatt Lite 700W, yes its an overkill but there is only 500w and 750w at local stores, it will work just fine, i guess)

Is the ability to overclock the processor important to you? If so, then you need a Z270 board with that processor...  Also, what form factor do you want in your case?  The B250M is a Micro ATX board and the Z270 is a full size board.  

1. Why get i5, go for Ryzen 5

2. If you already have the 7600K, get a Z270 mobo

3. Masterwatt Lite is mediocre, G2 is way better

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Overclocking and PCIe Positions are the two main Questions you need to answer. Most ~ 150€ Boards will do fine.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The main things to look for in a motherboard:

• Does it support the CPU you want out of the box?
    • Technically Intel's 100 boards support Kaby Lake, but they need a BIOS update, which you need a working processor to do so. Hence it does not support Kaby Lake out of the box
  • Does it have the I/O you want?
  • Is the internal I/O where you want it to be?
  • Do you care about nice-to-have features like POST code LEDs, a CMOS reset button, etc.? I would also include overclocking in this category too.
    • Note that only Z and X boards from Intel can overclock K processors (technically speaking BCLK overclocking is possible, but it's hit or miss)
    • B and X boards can overclock for AMD.

5 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Is the ability to overclock the processor important to you? If so, then you need a Z270 board with that processor...  Also, what form factor do you want in your case?  The B250M is a Micro ATX board and the Z270 is a full size board.  

CM Masterbox 5, they should fit. So main reason is overclocking right? 

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

1. Why get i5, go for Ryzen 5

2. If you already have the 7600K, get a Z270 mobo

3. Masterwatt Lite is mediocre, G2 is way better

Dude i'm arguing with my neighbor about ryzen and intel since its release :D

To be honest i dont even know what to get now. 50% of people is telling me "NO intel is way better" and other half is like "screw that get ryzen". 

Clock speed is better for gaming, and single core is more used. Vulkan does not work really well now and most of the games don't have that option, so that is why i decided to go with intel

Also i dont have any components yet, i'm getting them in one go.

And for PSU yeah, will get G2. Just wanted to see if i can get some worse components to fit headset and keyboard within the budget but that seems like bad idea. Since i'm a little short with money right now. 

10 minutes ago, Evellence said:

So main reason is overclocking right? 

That would be the main reason that I would see...  The B250 chipset doesn't allow OC-ing of your processor and the VRM doesn't have any form of passive cooling (although without OC-ing that isn't as big of an issue).  You are also limited to only 2 DIMMs of RAM on this B250 board and only a single full length PCIe x16 slot (the rest appear to be PCIe x1).  I guess one of the questions you may want to ask is what features do you want/need from the Mobo chipset and layout.

25 minutes ago, Evellence said:

Clock speed is better for gaming, and single core is more used. Vulkan does not work really well now and most of the games don't have that option, so that is why i decided to go with intel

The problem is framerate consistency. i5 don't give you stable FPS compared to Ryzen 5

You don't want to experience a high FPS but choppy gameplay

Furthermore, Ryzen has more cores which is more future proof as games tend to use more and more cores. Ryzen also will not limit you for gaming only, but also able to stream, do productivity work

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 8/9/2017 at 7:55 PM, Evellence said:

CM Masterbox 5, they should fit. So main reason is overclocking right? 

Dude i'm arguing with my neighbor about ryzen and intel since its release :D

To be honest i dont even know what to get now. 50% of people is telling me "NO intel is way better" and other half is like "screw that get ryzen". 

Also i dont have any components yet, i'm getting them in one go.

And for PSU yeah, will get G2. Just wanted to see if i can get some worse components to fit headset and keyboard within the budget but that seems like bad idea. Since i'm a little short with money right now. 

I wish I would've saw this a couple of months ago :(

Just now, balewis2 said:

I wish I would've saw this a couple of months ago :(

Or have done better research on my end, seeming as this post is a couple of days old

12 hours ago, balewis2 said:

Or have done better research on my end, seeming as this post is a couple of days old

Well, you may get few fps more on current games if you have intel.

But seeing the new processors that are released  and are about to be released are focused on more cores, vulkan will probably get improved (there was kinda no need to do it before). And when that happens, ryzen will be much more better than intel. Just as @ZM Fong said. 

I'm an intel fan tho, and it kinda really hurts me saying this :D

So yeah, i don't even know anymore. Probably Ryzen. Which hurts my soul