Which Psu for threadripper build

Veltn

What GPU?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What GPU?

the gpu is going to be arous gtx 1080 ti

4 minutes ago, Veltn said:

the gpu is going to be arous gtx 1080 ti

If you do not plan to SLI you can go with the EVGA G2 850w, if you plan on SLI you'll need either the 1000w variants.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

If you do not plan to SLI you can go with the EVGA G2 850w, if you plan on SLI you'll need either the 1000w variants.

i dont plan to sli but i'll like to ask why the evga over the corsair just asking?

Just now, Veltn said:

i dont plan to sli but i'll like to ask why the evga over the corsair just asking?

Better warranty/costumers service, slightly better components, over all a bit superior product, not by much though... either would suffice but my preference goes to EVGA.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Better warranty/costumers service, slightly better components, over all a bit superior product, not by much though... either would suffice but my preference goes to EVGA.

alright thanks for the advice

I'd go for one of the EVGA ones, but the corsair ones are also good. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Veltn said:

Evga uses Superflower as their OEM for their higher end units and those come with 10yr warranties. I'd rank Superflower a touch above Seasonic.

28 minutes ago, Veltn said:

I cant decide what power supply for my threadripper build should i got for a 850w or 1000w i selected 4 psu please give me some advice since im looking for the psu thats best performance per dollar

I don't see any reason for an 850W PSU, much less 1000W PSU.

If you are talking about sledgehammer overclocking, you might want that, yes.

But if we are talking about using the components in spec (you can't overclock your Ryzen anyway):
a 550W would be more than enough!

Even for a Threadripper with 1080Ti.

So you should look at the lower range of PSUs.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Veltn said:

Why an 850W for one GPU?

An EVGA 650G2 would do fine for your purposes.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

But if we are talking about using the components in spec (you can't overclock your Ryzen anyway):

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Why an 850W for one GPU?

An EVGA 650G2 would do fine for your purposes.

i plan to add more things into pc like capture cards and stuff of that variety and i also plan to install rgb in the pc

1 minute ago, Veltn said:

i plan to add more things into pc like capture cards and stuff of that variety and i also plan to install rgb in the pc

Those will add like a watt each.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, Veltn said:

That's like up to 10W, not even worth thinking about it...

Just take a look at a graphics card that has a 25W TDP! Look at the heatsink of that thing...

For something like that you need at least a rather large passive heatsink...

So don't worry, you don't need that power.

My i7-3930K with an RX480 is at around 300W while gaming...

If you're only going to use 1 GPU at a time, 650w is all you need, 700w for peace of mind

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

Most motherboards for Threadripper will require TWO  8-pin cpu (EPS) connectors, so that's the first disqualifier for power supplies. Good quality 650w and higher power supplies will have two such cables.

The dude from GamersNexus spilled something he probably wasn't supposed to in one of his videos, said something like measuring around 26A on the 12v wires in the EPS connectors when he overclocked the 1950x ... so that's about 310 watts for the cpu if you overclock (with probably 20-40w lost as heat in the VRM). Without overclocking, I think the 16 core threadrippers will use around 160-200 watts.

The 1080ti will probably use up to 300 watts, maybe momentary bursts of up to 350 watts, more if you use watercooling.

So overall, I think it would be safer to go with a 750w - 850w power supply. I wouldn't waste money on Platinum or Titanium efficiency, a good old Gold Efficiency power supply will do just fine. Efficiency differences between Gold and the others at their sweetspot (50-70% load) are fairly small. 

// edit :adding @Veltn so that he will receive notification.

• 3 months later...

All threadripper processors are made with two ryzen dies, so they'll use a bit more energy compared to an equivalent ryzen with the same number of cores.

You can see here :  https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3015-amd-threadripper-1950x-1920x-review/page-4

that 1920x uses up to around 90 watts in various applications and up to 150 watts in applications like Blender or Prime95, which are capable of keeping all cores used to the maximum.

Since an 1900x has just two cores less, you can sort of estimate that in mod games, 1900x will use around 80 watts and in video encoding, rendering etc maybe it will go up to 130-140 watts.

Two Vegas... it's tricky. 

Vega56 is supposed to use up to around 210 watts at stock frequencies - there's a power limit set at 180w through the extra pci-e cables, and it takes around 30w more through pci-e slot.  If you raise the power limit, you  can get the card to go up to 270w from the pci-e cables (plus 30w-ish from slot).  BUT, if you also take the time to undervolt the card to find the sweetspot where the card is still stable, you'll get it to use less power and achieve higher frequencies because it won't overheat so much.

Gamersnexus got their card to use around 210 watts from the cables.

undervolt-v56-power_3.png.d2123ef7c324f9fa25e676377693e8c2.png

So let's just say 250 watts for each Vega56 ... for Vega64 a safe number would be 350w

So 150w for cpu, 500w for two Vega cards, 50w for motherboard and memory sticks, you're at 700w .... yeah, a 850w psu would leave you enough reserves for hard drives, fans and still have 100w or so.

Of course, it wouldn't be wise to run a bronze efficiency power supply at 700w out of 850w for hours , but a Gold (or better) efficiency 850w power supply from a good brand should be OK.

On 10.8.2017 at 12:53 PM, mariushm said:

Most motherboards for Threadripper will require TWO  8-pin cpu (EPS) connectors,

I doubt that.

They have that but the second one is optional for OC.

Or do you have any proof that some boards won't boot if both are connected?

PS: pls don't forget the specification of the connectors.

That's somewhat between 6 and 9A per pin. Wich quals roughly to 288W to 432W...

On 9.08.2017 at 3:43 PM, Stefan Payne said:

If you don't want your psu fan spinning all the time then go for 750-850W g2, 1000w is an overkill unless you are planning to get a second gpu. 

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I doubt that.

They have that but the second one is optional for OC.

Or do you have any proof that some boards won't boot if both are connected?

PS: pls don't forget the specification of the connectors.

That's somewhat between 6 and 9A per pin. Wich quals roughly to 288W to 432W...

Maybe "require" was the wrong word.   Maybe "prefer" would be better.

A few  have two 8pin, more of them actually have one 8pin and one 4 pin.

At least one has the two 8pin connectors on each side of the board, i heard some argument that it helps reduce the current through traces from connectors to vrm this way and reducing the load on connectors (less heating due to pin resistance)

Asrock Taichi  and Fatal1ty x399 Professional Gaming are like that, see the pictures attached.

Asus boards seem to have 8pin and 4 pin on one side of the board, except ROG Zenith extreme which has 2 8 pin connectors. MSI Pro Carbon AC also has 2 8 pin connectors

off topic gah how i wish they'd get rid of the 24pin atx connector. Just include in the box an adapter from atx 24pin to  5vSB/gnd/power_on/power_ok + 2 x 5v + gnd (8 pin connector)  and then have an extra 8pin pci-e connector to power the pci-e slots.  Use the space for 24pin connector for something more useful.

x399-taichi-.jpg

fatal1ty-x399-professional-gaming.jpg

31 minutes ago, Ertagon said:

If you don't want your psu fan spinning all the time then go for 750-850W g2, 1000w is an overkill unless you are planning to get a second gpu. 

And how should that happen when the ones you mention have the same design, the same heatsink? While maintaining about the same efficiency.

That's just nonsense, you have to look at the fan profile of the PSU!

But in general that isn't true.

Another thing:

a spinning fan isn't a bad thing, it actually is better.

BUT:
It has to be a good fan with a good motor and good bearing. 

And a good fan controller with rather low RPM.

If the fan is good and the RPM low enough (500rpm or less on 120mm for example); you can't hear it anyways. BUT the difference between a fan spinning at low RPM and no fan at all is huge, we are talking about something like 20K or so.

And the last thing:
The Super Flower units aren't that great in terms of noise, quite the opposite. They are on the worse side for high end PSU.

And 550W is enough for a single CPU/GPU system!
More than. You don't need 750W...

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Maybe "require" was the wrong word.   Maybe "prefer" would be better.

Yes, I think so.

I'd say it that way:
For normal operation, one 8pin is more than enough. Maybe even for slight overclocking.

For heavy overclocking, not so much.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A few  have two 8pin, more of them actually have one 8pin and one 4 pin.

At least one has the two 8pin connectors on each side of the board, i heard some argument that it helps reduce the current through traces from connectors to vrm this way and reducing the load on connectors (less heating due to pin resistance)

Asrock Taichi  and Fatal1ty x399 Professional Gaming are like that, see the pictures attached.

Asus boards seem to have 8pin and 4 pin on one side of the board, except ROG Zenith extreme which has 2 8 pin connectors. MSI Pro Carbon AC also has 2 8 pin connectors

off topic gah how i wish they'd get rid of the 24pin atx connector. Just include in the box an adapter from atx 24pin to  5vSB/gnd/power_on/power_ok + 2 x 5v + gnd (8 pin connector)  and then have an extra 8pin pci-e connector to power the pci-e slots.  Use the space for 24pin connector for something more useful.

x399-taichi-.jpg

fatal1ty-x399-professional-gaming.jpg

I'm the one that bumped a old post,I'm looking at a 1900x on either a x399 Taichi  or asus prime x399 two vega 56s and water cooling down the line after i get the pc together and happy running.The psu calculators i have played with gave me about a 850 watt psu but i keep seeing most dual video card threadripper builds with 1000 watts or more.I'm on the fence are those builds going over kill on power or is the psu calculators right i don't need that much power.

Well, like I said, a 850w power supply will be enough if it's a good quality one (gold efficiency or higher from a reputable manufacturer)

It would be nice to be 1000 watts to have more headroom (with 850w you'll have 100-200w in reserves) but as Stefan Payne said above, a lot of 1000w power supplies out there are physically the same as 850w models (same size heatsinks, same chips inside), they just have the protection chip configured to trigger protections when the total power consumption goes over 1050-1100 watts instead of 900-950 watts (usually you have 50-100w over the maximum output before power supply turns off to protect itself). Such power supplies often only spin the fan harder to dissipate the additional heat produced.

So unless you really do the research and read reviews and see that the power supply is really capable of 1000 watts and doesn't act like a hair dryer (fan at high speed, hot air coming out) at that output it's rarely worth spending more money, the 850w power supplies are more reasonably priced.