PCI-e Lanes - How many do I have?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
Just now, fcon said:

No.

Look here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/

The motherboard uses the AMD 760G northbridge (also named 780L by some)  paired with the SB710 southbridge.

AMD 760G northbridge does this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_700_chipset_series#760G

760G

Codenamed RS780L

Single AMD processor configuration

One physical PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and one PCIe 2.0 x4 slot, the chipset provides a total of 20 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 1.1 for A-Link Express II solely in the Northbridge

Integrated graphics: Radeon HD 3000

GPU 350 MHz, memory shared DDR3 533 MHz, power consumption 5.1-6.1 W

ATI PowerPlay technology

ATI Hybrid Graphics

55 nm CMOS fabrication process manufactured by TSMC

HyperTransport 3.0 and PCI Express 2.0

Value DirectX 10.0 IGP segment

SB710

SB700

I have an AMD FX-8350 and a MB with the A78 chipset.

I've been finding it quite confusing to find out how many lanes I have. I contacted AMD and they were no help.

I've been browsing their website and still no luck.

I want to install a wireless network adapter but don't want my graphics card to get reduced to x8 just because of my need for Wifi.

I was browsing the internet and found this place which seems to be quite good for getting help with building PCs.

Please help.

A summary, if you think this too long:

I have an AMD FX-8350 and an A78 MB, contacted AMD, no help, so please help.

I don't think it matters if your gpu gets reduced to x8 though. That's still more than enough

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I don't think it matters if your gpu gets reduced to x8 though. That's still more than enough

I think it's maybe like a 1% difference? I'm currently running two 970's running in a 8x by 8x config on a 6700k which only has 20 lanes, you can make up the percentage loss just by overclocking the cards.

2 minutes ago, kitsune1324 said:

I think it's maybe like a 1% difference? I'm currently running two 970's running in a 8x by 8x config on a 6700k which only has 20 lanes, you can make up the percentage loss just by overclocking the cards.

Yeah the difference is like 1-2%, aka nobody will notice.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, kitsune1324 said:

I'm quite new to PC building, don't really know how to overclock.

I think even if you're running a 1080Ti in x8 mode on PCIe 2.0, you won't notice a difference.

Most A78 boards have PCIe 3.0 slots on them, so you won't notice a difference at all.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, fcon said:

I'm quite new to PC building, don't really know how to overclock.

It's really not difficult with the newer generation gpu's. Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of them can kinda overclock themselves.

The A78 chipset is for motherboards with socket FM2+ socket.

You can't put a FX-8350 (socket AM3+) on such a motherboard, so either you don't have a FX-8350 or you don't have a motherboard with the A78 chipset.

If you have a socket AM3+ and a FX-8350, then you pretty much have only PCI-E v2.0 lanes, which are about half as fast as PCI-E v3.0 lanes.

How they're arranged depends on the chipset:

970: One physical PCIe 2.0 ×16 slot, one PCIe 2.0 ×4 slot and two PCIe 2.0 ×1 slots, the chipset provides a total of 22 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 2.0 for A-Link Express III solely in the Northbridge

980G (same as 880G) : One physical PCIe 2.0 ×16 slot, one PCIe 2.0 ×4 slot and two PCIe 2.0 ×1 slots, the chipset provides a total of 22 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 2.0 for A-Link Express III solely in the Northbrid

990X : One physical PCIe 2.0×16 slot or two physical PCIe 2.0×16 slots @ ×8, one PCIe 2.0×4 slot and two PCIe 2.0×1 slots, the chipset provides a total of 22 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 2.0 for A-Link Express III solely in the Northbridge

990FX : Four physical PCIe 2.0 ×16 slots @ x8 electrical which can be combined to create two PCIe 2.0×16 slots @ x16 electrical, one PCIe 2.0×4 slot and two PCIe 2.0×1 slots, the chipset provides a total of 38 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 2.0 for A-Link Express III solely in the Northbridge

Most likely, if you put two cards, they'll work in SLI or Crossfire in pci-e x16 (x8 electrical) v2.0, which is pretty much like running each card at pci-e 3.0 x4.

The latest generation cards (Polaris and Pascal) will have some noticeable performance degradation but not very significant loss of performance. You'll see the difference in benchmarks, like a few percent less when running a single card in pci-e 2.0 x8.

If you have a motherboard based on A78 chipset, then you'll have a FM2+ processor not FX-8350, and at least the Kaveri and Carrizo series of processors have native support for pci-e v3.0, but I think most are limited to a pci-e v3.0 x8 so you may get a pci-e x16 slot on motherboard but electrically it's x8.

The A78 chipset can offer an additional x16 worth of pci-e v2.0 lanes ... i'm too lazy to really google it but I think that's right.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The A78 chipset is for motherboards with socket FM2+ socket.

You can't put a FX-8350 (socket AM3+) on such a motherboard, so either you don't have a FX-8350 or you don't have a motherboard with the A78 chipset.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/C2mxFT/asus-m5a78l-m-plususb3-micro-atx-am3-motherboard-m5a78l-m-plususb3 This is the part. Apparently A78 and AM3+.

Just now, fcon said:

No.

The motherboard uses the AMD 760G northbridge (also named 780L by some)  paired with the SB710 southbridge.

AMD 760G northbridge does this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_700_chipset_series#760G

760G

Codenamed RS780L

One physical PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and one PCIe 2.0 x4 slot, the chipset provides a total of 20 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 1.1 for A-Link Express II solely in the Northbridge

Integrated graphics: Radeon HD 3000

GPU 350 MHz, memory shared DDR3 533 MHz, power consumption 5.1-6.1 W

ATI PowerPlay technology

ATI Hybrid Graphics

55 nm CMOS fabrication process manufactured by TSMC

HyperTransport 3.0 and PCI Express 2.0

Value DirectX 10.0 IGP segment

SB710

SB700

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

No.

760G

Codenamed RS780L

Thanks.

I wonder why PCPP said A78.