Rack Modem

Andster29

I just moved into a new house and I am looking to have a proper network closet. Does anyone know of a rackmount modem that works with Comcast?  

You could buy a rack shelf and put your existing one on it. :P:D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

No rackmount modems that I've ever seen.

I just got a couple screws and mounted it on the wall next to my gear :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

You could buy a rack shelf and put your existing one on it. :P:D

That is kind of my last resort if I can't find anything. 

2 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

That is kind of my last resort if I can't find anything. 

Is your ISP providing you with ADSL or Cable? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Is your ISP providing you with ADSL or Cable? 

Cable

4 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

Cable

I don't think there is such thing. :/ Sorry. :(

The only "actual" Rackmount routers that Do support Cable are Cisco Enterprise. They can cost a fortune and you need to understand how to set up it. 

I don't think there is such thing. :/ Sorry. :(

The only "actual" Rackmount routers that Do support Cable are Cisco Enterprise. They can cost a fortune and you need to understand how to set up it. 

and they are only DOCSIS 2.0, not 3.0 versions planned/announced that I know of :( 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I don't there is such thing. :/ Sorry. :(

Thought is was worth a shot. Justifies buying a networking rack a bit more if you can put more than just a switch into it. 

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

and they are only DOCSIS 2.0, not 3.0 versions planned/announced that I know of :( 

Oh. I guess we will wait forever :P:D 

3 minutes ago, Andster29 said:

Thought is was worth a shot. Justifies buying a networking rack a bit more if you can put more than just a switch into it. 

Yeah. :P No problem. I a Cisco router but I have Fiber. But It's only FTTC. :(

I've seen this exact question asked over and over. Someone should really make such a thing, or at least a rack kit to rack mount an exisiting popular cable modem. Not to mention, cable modems are all pretty ugly. A couple router/modem combos are okay looking but its really a product line that is lacking.

Seems unneccesary and pointless to see so many nice home server racks where all the other gear and servers are so neatly mounted and everyone is forced to just plop some ugly modem on the top shelf. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

14 minutes ago, ltguy said:

I've seen this exact question asked over and over. Someone should really make such a thing, or at least a rack kit to rack mount an exisiting popular cable modem. Not to mention, cable modems are all pretty ugly. A couple router/modem combos are okay looking but its really a product line that is lacking.

Seems unneccesary and pointless to see so many nice home server racks where all the other gear and servers are so neatly mounted and everyone is forced to just plop some ugly modem on the top shelf. 

Thats because the average user doesnt have a networking rack at home. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Andster29 said:

I just moved into a new house and I am looking to have a proper network closet. Does anyone know of a rackmount modem that works with Comcast?  

I mean you could totally just get one of these and sit your modem on it, keeps it neat and in the rack I suppose?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1U-Rack-Shelf-Cantilever/dp/B071KW94ZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502139324&sr=8-1&keywords=1u+network+shelf

4 hours ago, ltguy said:

http://www.wantec.de/en/19-zoll-technik/aufruestsaetze/aufruestsatz-fritz-box.html

It's a for a DSL Fritzbox i think. But if the boxes are the same size, it should be possible to just insert the cable-wire from the side.

Not even close to a good looking solution, but might be better than just having it sit on a shelf.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:26 PM, Donut417 said:

Thats because the average user doesnt have a networking rack at home. 

You mean I'm the only one with a network rack in their living room... i feel so alone :(

livingroomrack.jpg

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/