Anyone know where to get movies from that work in 21:9?

Aleks NE
Just now, <Aleks> said:

I can't find a website that has movies in 21:9, anyone know of any? 

If you're asking about where to illegally stream or download copyrighted movies, no one is going to be able to help  you with that - it's against the Community Standards (We can discuss piracy in a broad sense, but we cannot help you break laws).

However, you can legally purchase a Blu-Ray, and many (but not all, since it 100% depends on the studio and what aspect ratio they wanted to film in) Blu-Ray movies are in 2.35:1. 21:9 is actually 2.33:1, so there will be an almost imperceptible set of bars across the top and bottom (a few pixels).

There are currently no native 21:9 (2.33:1) ratio movies. None. It's simply not an industry standard. But 2.35:1 is so close that you probably won't notice the difference.

Some blu-ray movies will be in 1.85:1 also, which will cause a set of bars across the sides.

Your best bet is to either just get a Blu-Ray player or drive and watch the movies directly, or to rip the movies onto your computer using MakeMKV (A Blu-Ray SATA drive is required).

You'll have to look up on an individual basis to find out which movies are in 2.35:1 vs 1.85:1 or 1.77:1 (16:9 TV widescreen - less common for movies).

Someone made a list of movies in IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls073624685/

But that won't be 100% complete. And the specific media you consume that movie in will matter, as some platforms will crop the larger aspect ratio down to 16:9.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

However, you can legally purchase a Blu-Ray, and many (but not all, since it 100% depends on the studio and what aspect ratio they wanted to film in) Blu-Ray movies are in 2.35:1. 21:9 is actually 2.33:1, so there will be an almost imperceptible set of bars across the top and bottom (a few pixels).

This is actually wrong.  BluRay only supports 16:9 aspect ratios or 4:3 aspect ratios in SDTV.  (Yes, Bluray CAN store 480p video and remain within spec).  Any movie you see on Bluray that is WIDER than 16:9 is using black letter boxing, and wasting pixels on that black letter boxing, to do so. A lot of players may not crop this and thus show your content both letterboxed and pillarboxed on a 21:9 display.  Though if the player supports CROPPING, you can crop out those useless black pixels and fill the frame of your display, but the actual source resolution of the content will never be more than 1920 pixels across.  There is no 'Anamorphic' 21:9 support for BluRay where a 21:9 film would be 'squeezed' into a 16:9 video and then stretched back out during playback, resulting in every pixel being used for imagery.

My guess was, no one anticipated home theater screens wider than 1920 pixels when locking down the Bluray standard so it didn't make sense at the time.  Though in our modern era of 4K, an 'anamorphic' 21:9 HD bluray would have some benefits by increasing the actual number of pixels used for the image instead of dedicating some to black.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If you're asking about where to illegally stream or download copyrighted movies, no one is going to be able to help  you with that - it's against the Community Standards (We can discuss piracy in a broad sense, but we cannot help you break laws).

There are currently no native 21:9 (2.33:1) ratio movies. None. It's simply not an industry standard. But 2.35:1 is so close that you probably won't notice the difference.

Some blu-ray movies will be in 1.85:1 also, which will cause a set of bars across the sides.

Your best bet is to either just get a Blu-Ray player or drive and watch the movies directly, or to rip the movies onto your computer using MakeMKV (A Blu-Ray SATA drive is required).

You'll have to look up on an individual basis to find out which movies are in 2.35:1 vs 1.85:1 or 1.77:1 (16:9 TV widescreen - less common for movies).

Someone made a list of movies in IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls073624685/

But that won't be 100% complete. And the specific media you consume that movie in will matter, as some platforms will crop the larger aspect ratio down to 16:9.

I don't want to pirate them, the profile picture is a joke from a previous post, but thanks for the information I'm going to check out that list. 

I have a large library of movies I bought through iTunes, and watching them on my ultra-wide it does fill the whole screen. Think I had one or two that didn't for some reason, but overall they worked.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4