an overkill diy home nas,

BDunkz

Please take the time to read the whole post before responding.

Ok so the basic idea is to get 2 servers (nas) to backup to each other while serving 2 different households.

before I start please don't recommend a pre-biult nas.

Now one of these will be for my Aunty. The only thing she wants from her nas is really fast local and external access and maybe to run 1-2 not very intensive vm's. A ssd cache might be nice and Dayly backups on 1 pc. The files will be many small documents and photos.

The other server will be mine. Now this one i want to do quite a bit more, I want fast file transfers, local and external access, 1-2 not very intensive vms, local streaming (plex) the ability to host game servers. Dayly backups on 1 pc and one mac and perhaps a ssd cache.

Now the real thing is the backup of each nas to the other. I don't think ecc ram is required since raid will be used and each day the servers will back up to each other. But please help explain how/if I can do it

Price: for my antys one as cheap as possible while still doing all the things listed. for me it's not how much I want to spend. It's how much I need to spend to get what I want. + a bit of overkill

OS: I'm looking at unraid or free nas I haven't really made a decision yet please help me decide 

Noise: it would be good if these servers would be quite, (so descriptive)

With both servers I want a ups (they will both be running 24/7) and a lot of upgrade ability.

Sorry for making you read this super long post but I'm hoping that you can recommend some parts and software.

All thanks in advance,

BDunkz

25 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Please take the time to read the whole post before responding.

Ok so the basic idea is to get 2 servers (nas) to backup to each other while serving 2 different households.

Now one of these will be for my Aunty. The only thing she wants from her nas is really fast local and external access and maybe to run 1-2 not very intensive vm's. A ssd cache might be nice and Dayly backups on 1 pc. The files will be many small documents and photos.

The other server will be mine. Now this one i want to do quite a bit more, I want fast file transfers, local and external access, 1-2 not very intensive vms, local streaming (plex) the ability to host game servers. Dayly backups on 1 pc and one mac and perhaps a ssd cache.

Now the real thing is the backup of each nas to the other. I don't think ecc ram is required since raid will be used and each day the servers will back up to each other. But please help explain how/if I can do it

Price: for my antys one as cheap as possible while still doing all the things listed. for me it's not how much I want to spend. It's how much I need to spend to get what I want. + a bit of overkill

OS: I'm looking at unraid or free nas I haven't really made a decision yet please help me decide 

Noise: it would be good if these servers would be quite, (so descriptive)

With both servers I want a ups (they will both be running 24/7) and a lot of upgrade ability.

Sorry for making you read this super long post but I'm hoping that you can recommend some parts and software.

All thanks in advance,

BDunkz

Question is how overkill, because I could recommend something like an ML350 G6, which is decent and has upgrade ability but is it too much for you?

Backup wise, something like Altaro to backup to a NAS.

Have a look into setting up Altaro, I don't know if it will work with FreeNas or Unraid as never used them but if you could foot the cost of server 2012/2016 I know it works there.

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

29 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

^^^

Just now, JackHubbleday said:

Question is how overkill, because I could recommend something like an ML350 G6, which is decent and has upgrade ability but is it too much for you?

Backup wise, something like Altaro to backup to a NAS.

Have a look into setting up Altaro, I don't know if it will work with FreeNas or Unraid as never used them but if you could foot the cost of server 2012/2016 I know it works there.

2 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

snip

you should actually google what "ML350 G6" is before dismissing it as prebuilt...

and please specify your budget - I got ideas in my head that range from close to nothing to several thousand dollars :-)

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

you should actually google what "ML350 G6" is before dismissing it as prebuilt...

^^^

It is in no way a prebuilt...

10 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

and please specify your budget - I got ideas in my head that range from close to nothing to several thousand dollars :-)

im looking at $700 aud for my nas +storage and $400 aud for the other one + storage

Just now, BDunkz said:

im looking at $700 aud for my nas +storage and $400 aud for the other one + storage

Okay, so won't be too overkill, as the budget isn't the largest and backup software is not the cheapest unless you were going to manually backup the data to a usb drive or something...

Just now, JackHubbleday said:

Okay, so won't be too overkill, as the budget isn't the largest and backup software is not the cheapest unless you were going to manually backup the data to a usb drive or something...

yeah, well $800 for mine max + storage

Just now, BDunkz said:

yeah, well $800 for mine max + storage

Okay, erm....

I'll have a look around..

17 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

I'll have a look around..

I won't. Budget is a joke for what I got in mind. I assumed it's without hardware cost for some reason. I'm out :-)

9 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

I won't. Budget is a joke for what I got in mind. I assumed it's without hardware cost for some reason. I'm out :-)

It'll be pretty much impossible and considering I work with £25K+ servers daily with expensive backup software on, it is very hard for me to go budget as such.

If you went the route of freenas, you can set them to backup up to each other without the need for external software.  I have not done this myself, but freenas takes snapshots of your data and you can replicate your snapshots from one freenas to another.

$800 won't be overkill with new parts, far from it. I went underkill for $1,000US (all new parts) and eneded up with 14TB usable. Hard drives will eatup your budget in a hurry depending on  your storage requirements (you did not list any).

Unless you plan to buy 10GB network cards, you don't really need that SSD cache. But it would be good to have for VMs.

FreeNAS and unRAID both support rsync which would allow you to replicate data between two NASes. Both also offer the ability to create VMs and install plugins/jails/whatnot for external access. However you don't really define how you want to externally access it (website/vpn/application/SSH)

If you want used parts copy this guy, he really got a lot for his money:

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

$800 won't be overkill with new parts, far from it. I went underkill for $1,000US (all new parts) and eneded up with 14TB usable. Hard drives will eatup your budget in a hurry depending on  your storage requirements (you did not list any).

Unless you plan to buy 10GB network cards, you don't really need that SSD cache. But it would be good to have for VMs.

FreeNAS and unRAID both support rsync which would allow you to replicate data between two NASes. Both also offer the ability to create VMs and install plugins/jails/whatnot for external access. However you don't really define how you want to externally access it (website/vpn/application/SSH)

If you want used parts copy this guy, he really got a lot for his money:

Well for all new (-ram) could you recommend a parts list? $800 

+ storage 

Thats barely enough money for hard drives.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

15 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Thats barely enough money for hard drives.

No I mean $800 and then more money for storage

13 hours ago, BDunkz said:

13 hours ago, BDunkz said:

Why wouldn't you want a pre-Built for her? A Synology fits her needs perfectly.....Synology DSM supports VM's and Docker, secure remote access to files, compatible with Windows Backups , and near silient...

As for your personal build, are you ok with second hand or are you looking to build new? and is that AUD?

For brand new something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($289.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($118.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($174.90 @ Umart)
Storage: Transcend - 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 710 2GB Low Profile Video Card  ($49.00 @ IJK)
Case: Silverstone - KL05B-Q ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Umart)
Total: $867.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-04 06:55 AEST+1000

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Why wouldn't you want a pre-Built for her? A Synology fits her needs perfectly.....Synology DSM supports VM's and Docker, secure remote access to files, compatible with Windows Backups , and near silient...

As for your personal build, are you ok with second hand or are you looking to build new? and is that AUD?

For brand new something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($289.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($118.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($174.90 @ Umart)
Storage: Transcend - 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 710 2GB Low Profile Video Card  ($49.00 @ IJK)
Case: Silverstone - KL05B-Q ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Umart)
Total: $867.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-04 06:55 AEST+1000

That looks great, yeah aud, um why a gpu for a nas? The reason not prebuilt is because she's got a lot of spare parts lie ing around but i wanted to know what kind of hardware i would need. Would a Pentium be sufficient for her needs?

16 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

That looks great, yeah aud, um why a gpu for a nas? The reason not prebuilt is because she's got a lot of spare parts lie ing around but i wanted to know what kind of hardware i would need. Would a Pentium be sufficient for her needs?

Because you still need a graphics processor if you want to be able to configure/troubleshoot it locally, which the Ryzen 5 doesn't have. It does however have a higher 6C/12T and has affordable motherboards which makes it fit into your range better. Ideally a GT1030 would be even better, with Plex's hardware x264 gpu offloading but that feature is still experimental and that pushes out the budget to over $900. Ofc if you don't mind swapping gpu's in/out then feel free to exclude it, assuming that board can POST without a gpu detected.

Fair enough on your aunties - but we would really need to know what parts if you're looking to piece something together. As for Pentium depends - is it at least a Pentium D? Even that might struggle with instruction queueing with VM's as well...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Because you still need a graphics processor which the Ryzen 5 doesn't have. It does however have a higher 6C/12T and has affordable motherboards which makes it fit into your range better. Ideally a GT1030 would be even better, with Plex's hardware x264 gpu offloading but that feature is still experimental and that pushes out the budget to over $900

Fair enough on your aunties - but we would really need to know what parts if you're looking to piece something together. As for Pentium depends - is it at least a Pentium D? Even that might struggle with instruction queueing with VM's as well...

Where thinking of using her oldish pc, some lag1151 mobo 4 sata 6/gbps, gigabyte gtx 960, 17 6700 (into new pc), 1tb hdd

7 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

a GT1030 would be even better

Would a 960 work?

That would be plenty.

Spoiler

Spoiler