Upgrading to R7, looking for second-opinions.

So, now that we have pricing for Ryzen TR (the first two, at least), I've come to realize that I'd rather spend ~$800 on an entire platform upgrade plus an HDD than on the CPU alone.

I'd first like to know what the best choice for RAM would be. There's a lot of clarification strewn about the internet on how Ryzen handled different RAM at launch, but not all that much clarification as to how it's improved. I see most people say G.Skill Trident Z is the best choice, which I'm fine with, but I would like to know if it's still the best choice and if there's still much of a difference, maybe if there are alternatives.

I'd also like to know if 4 DIMMs is still a troublesome venture. My plan is to get 2x8GB and sometime down the road probably get another kit for 32GB.

My actual part list for the upgrade is this:

-R7 1700X

-ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero

-16GB RAM (Probably G.Skill Trident Z.)

-WD Red Pro 4TB

Totaling $855 at Microcenter.

Reason that's a 1700X instead of a 1700 is bundles. It would actually be $20 more expensive to step down the CPU, and while it would be $30 cheaper to get the 1700 and a Strix X370-F, I would be stepping down my CPU, Motherboard, and forcing myself to order one of the components on Amazon (something that's worth money to me to avoid). Now, I could go with the Prime X370-Pro, the only X370 motherboard Microcenter bundles with the 1700, and it would total $745 -Though I'm not sure I'm comfortable with going through the trouble of upgrading my platform and getting an entry-level (X370) motherboard.

Any input is appreciated.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Two schools of thought on RAM:

1. Get a kit that you know is Samsung B-Die

2. Go with the board QVL

Either way, on an ASUS board at least, you're pretty safe. The Corsair RAM I'm using on my B-350F Strix is not on the QVL, but it's definitely Samsung single-rank B-Die, and it works just fine. Can't argue with your logic on the 1700X. It actually cost me $10 more to go with the 1700, but dammit, I wanted that RGB cooler...which is currently sitting on a shelf because I wanted the added beef of the H5 Ultimate...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.