GTX 1080 Ti Zotac Amp Extreme edition SLI + i7 4770k

Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
Just now, ironrafael09 said:

The reason I'm asking all of this is because I plan on having a triple monitor setup with 1440p displays running @ 144hz with G-Sync. From what I have learned here, it seems that I should only upgrade my video card today GTX 1080 Ti when I get all the displays up and running. Is that correct?

I plan to use SLI'ed GTX 1080ti's for single 1440p 165Hz+ gaming at maxed settings, maybe on medium you'd get 3 144hz 1440p out of a similar SLI set up, but I plan to water cool my whole one and volt mod them to have no power limit, so normal air cooled ones will probably be like 10% behind. Yes, wait until you get the monitors or buy them at the same time, no point in buying the GPU now, as it might be $100 less when you do get the monitor later, I'm waiting until volta to make drop the 1080ti down a bit. 

Does the Core i7 4770k have enough memory lanes to be run on a dual GTX 1080 Ti Zotac Amp Extreme edition SLI setup?

If it doesn't, I'm considering buying a Core i7 7700k for this. How much memory should I use?

Thanks for the attention.

Do you PCI-E lanes as memory channels have nothing to do with graphics card?

9 minutes ago, ironrafael09 said:

Does the Core i7 4770k have enough memory lanes to be run on a dual GTX 1080 Ti Zotac Amp Extreme edition SLI setup?

If it doesn't, I'm considering buying a Core i7 7700k for this. How much memory should I use?

What? RAM has almost nothing to do with GPU horse power, I mean 16GB will be plenty enough for an i7 4770K. The same again goes for an i7 7700K, mine only has 8GB but that's cos it *was* overclocked pretty insane on some cheap memory, but even 8GB wasn't completely stable. A well binned i7 4770K overclocked would probably tie with an amazingly well binned Haswell E CPU of the same clock speed in most situations, RAM is almost a non factor. 

Yours faithfully

25 minutes ago, ironrafael09 said:

Which mainboard are you using? Some support SLI and some dont. 7700k requires a new motherboard and new RAM and only a little bit faster than 4770k. 

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

I do not reccomend Dual 1080 TI, The performance gain from using the second card is just not worth the extra 700$

Then I shall just stick with a single GTX 1080 Ti. I was just asking if I should SLI since I was planning on having a triple monitor setup with three 1440p monitors @ 144hz with G-Sync.

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

What? RAM has almost nothing to do with GPU horse power, I mean 16GB will be plenty enough for an i7 4770K. The same again goes for an i7 7700K, mine only has 8GB but that's cos it *was* overclocked pretty insane on some cheap memory, but even 8GB wasn't completely stable. A well binned i7 4770K overclocked would probably tie with an amazingly well binned Haswell E CPU of the same clock speed in most situations, RAM is almost a non factor. 

Since my 8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz has recently died, I've been wondering whether should I just stick to the 8gb left or buy another RAM stick and have 16gb once again. I'm asking this because I'm concerned my PC wouldn't run Witcher 3 or Crysis 3 as smoothly without the 16gb I once had. Also, I got pretty fucked when I got my PC since I did so right before the transition to DDR4 (it was in 2013 that I got my PC if I remember correctly).

1 minute ago, ironrafael09 said:

Since my 8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz has recently died, I've been wondering whether should I just stick to the 8gb left or buy another RAM stick and have 16gb once again. I'm asking this because I'm concerned my PC wouldn't run Witcher 3 or Crysis 3 as smoothly without the 16gb I once had. Also, I got pretty fucked when I got my PC since I did so right before the transition to DDR4 (it was in 2013 that I got my PC if I remember correctly).

There isn't a massive performance jump to 16GB really, unless your windows install uses a lot memory idle, but 16GB is still nice. I mean, there isn't a massive need to move to the I7 7700K, I have it, the only reason to buy it is if you like overclocking and don't mind buying a binned chip, mine is at 5.2GHz, it's not that much better really. Changing the ram does almost nothing to gaming. 

Yours faithfully

48 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

Which mainboard are you using? Some support SLI and some dont. 7700k requires a new motherboard and new RAM and only a little bit faster than 4770k. 

ASUS Maximus VII Formula. It came with a SLI bridge so I suppose it does. I was also thinking that it might not be worth it to upgrade from a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080 Ti.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

There isn't a massive performance jump to 16GB really, unless your windows install uses a lot memory idle, but 16GB is still nice. I mean, there isn't a massive need to move to the I7 7700K, I have it, the only reason to buy it is if you like overclocking and don't mind buying a binned chip, mine is at 5.2GHz, it's not that much better really. Changing the ram does almost nothing to gaming. 

I'm not that into overclocking, since I want to keep my components as long as they can run with stability, since all electronics are pretty expensive where I live.

I'm not that into overclocking, since I want to keep my components as long as they can run with stability, since all electronics are pretty expensive where I live.

Buy a single stick of identical RAM, make sure all the timings are the same, or buy another 2x8GB kit, maybe 1866MHz if you can find it, and sell the one you have, currently DRAM is in a bit of short supply so it's a little more expensive than it was. The GTX 1080ti is a good bit faster than a GTX 1080 but unless you're into 4K or multi display it isn't needed. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Buy a single stick of identical RAM, make sure all the timings are the same, or buy another 2x8GB kit, maybe 1866MHz if you can find it, and sell the one you have, currently DRAM is in a bit of short supply so it's a little more expensive than it was. The GTX 1080ti is a good bit faster than a GTX 1080 but unless you're into 4K or multi display it isn't needed. 

The reason I'm asking all of this is because I plan on having a triple monitor setup with 1440p displays running @ 144hz with G-Sync. From what I have learned here, it seems that I should only upgrade my video card today GTX 1080 Ti when I get all the displays up and running. Is that correct?

I plan to use SLI'ed GTX 1080ti's for single 1440p 165Hz+ gaming at maxed settings, maybe on medium you'd get 3 144hz 1440p out of a similar SLI set up, but I plan to water cool my whole one and volt mod them to have no power limit, so normal air cooled ones will probably be like 10% behind. Yes, wait until you get the monitors or buy them at the same time, no point in buying the GPU now, as it might be $100 less when you do get the monitor later, I'm waiting until volta to make drop the 1080ti down a bit. 

Yours faithfully

29 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm kinda glad I don't have to drop all this money down now and maybe when I have the money for the monitors, Nvidia will have come up with a new architecture that will let me max out at 1440p @ 144hz with a triple monitor setup. I even think that we're looking to buy the same monitor which is the Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q. Now I wonder what the PG stand for in this monitor. I know that 27 is for 27", 9 probably stands for the 9-bit color scheme it supports, and Q is for Quad HD. Just have to get information on the PG and it will all make sense.

So would it make more sense to invest in a Zotac GTX 1080 Ti ArcticStorm since it comes with a water block? Would it be as effective as a custom water loop? I already have plenty of coolers for the rest of the system (4x120mm fans) and AIO H45 Corsair liquid cooler. I'm trying to make the best experience without wasting too much money and without having to remove many components from my system.