Is it bad for GPU fans to turn on and off repeatedly?

MoonlightSylv
Go to solution Solved by Majestic,

Yes, start/stopping of fans creates additional wear. Much like with engines, the lubrication the first few turns and precession forces during acceleration put extra strain on the bearing. I'm not sure about AMD, but for Nvidia you can force powerstates so it won't stay at a high clock with dual/triple monitor setups. Try looking for this on the AMD side.

Alternatively, i'd say running the lowest RPM might be better.

So due to my monitor setup, my GPU idles at around 55c (68c load temps) and because of that one of the fans starts to come on and then turns off. Is that bad for the fan? Would it be better to just run the fans all the time?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Yes, start/stopping of fans creates additional wear. Much like with engines, the lubrication the first few turns and precession forces during acceleration put extra strain on the bearing. I'm not sure about AMD, but for Nvidia you can force powerstates so it won't stay at a high clock with dual/triple monitor setups. Try looking for this on the AMD side.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Yes, start/stopping of fans creates additional wear. Much like with engines, the lubrication the first few turns is not optimal. I'm not sure about AMD, but for Nvidia you can force powerstates so it won't stay at a high clock with dual/triple monitor setups. Try looking for this on the AMD side.

I have a GTX 1080, how would you go about doing this?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Yes, start/stopping of fans creates additional wear. Much like with engines, the lubrication the first few turns is not optimal. I'm not sure about AMD, but for Nvidia you can force powerstates so it won't stay at a high clock with dual/triple monitor setups. Try looking for this on the AMD side.

Oh my god I figured it out thank you so much it's idling at 40c fans not spinning at all.

✨PC Specs✨

4 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Oh my god I figured it out thank you so much it's idling at 40c fans not spinning at all.

Did you use Nvinspector or something? Because that's what I was going to suggest. Multi-display saver.

Can't believe Nvidia still hasn't fucking fixed this bug. It's as old as Fermi!

Just now, Majestic said:

Did you use Nvinspector or something? Because that's what I was going to suggest. Multi-display saver.

Yes, it works great.

✨PC Specs✨

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Yes, it works great.

Make sure you set the executeables for fullscreen apps, because it will force it to low-power in games aswell.

Or make some sort of hotkey to turn it off.