Holiday 2013 Buyer's Guide - Full Components List

LinusTech

well it's a good guide for shopping, in the future or even to start configuring a rig :)

Once more, great job Linus

note: Really liked the new intro ;)

I have a question about SSD caching. Are there particular specifications I should be looking for in a SSD and HDD to make the most out of SSD caching? Of course capacity is a factor but I mean does it only work with certain brands/models and what specs do I need to check before I buy an SSD and HDD if I want to utilize caching?

i like how linus put OS windows 8.1 as optional <if u know what i mean..>

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

wish this video/ Post was out in november toshow my friends ;(

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

the youtube video needs a slight correction. For the 'Game On' build you first posted an image for an ASUS Sabertooth and the PRO doesn't say wireless ac on any of the product specs for any site (NCIX included).  I chose to get the ASRock extreme6/ac  instead. One of the reasons for this is because is does have the wireless ac standard. Was that a rooky mistake on my part anyone?

I really think that the 280X should have been put up on screen and recieved a stronger recommendation alongside the 770. It is just as good as the 770 in terms of FPS, is very overclockable and has more (albeit slower) memory.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

For about $565 the ''just game'' system is not very good

For $30 you could pretty much get a better psu like the EVGA 500b or even a
CX500 on sale, the 500b is mostly 29.99.
Same with the case the Source 210 is a great case for about $30 also.
For $150 you can get an HD7870 myst which is close to a 7950 since its a Tahiti core,Same price as the 7850...
If you make these changes the build would perform quite alot better.

Linus, the "Game on" part.

You grab blue ram to match the motherboard. As you say in the video, then at the motherboard. You say the Asus Z87 pro, wich is a gold motherboard. But the picture is the Z87 Sabertooth! Corsair does have the gold corsair vengeance pro! You need to get some sleep. And again, I will keep asking for it, let the forum have a look over the builds you trow out. 

For 1700$. I can get a 780 Ti into it. Again, I don't know how your prices work but you say that you look for the cheapest avaible ram you could find for the "just game" system. So I assume you don't just use the pricing from NCIX. Sure the value off the 780 Ti is absolutely gone, but it's the best gaming card out there right now. 

I kept most things that you say in the video for this build in there. The i7, 250gb SSD, noctua cooler (a better one! *cough*) I went down to a 2tb drive because. For gamers, unless you really do recording and video editing and what not. 2 TB is enough. I had to go down to 8gb off ram because for games, this is enough now and if it won't be enough anymore. You have the ability to go to 16GB, wich will be more then enough till DDR4 is out and you need to upgrade the system again. I even included some Linus edition corsair fans in there just for you. 

Aswell a really important point I wished you would have said in the 290 vs 780 comparison. You kinda said it, that the 290 is loud and hot. But that's very likely going to be solved with aftermarket coolers. Currently the 290(x) have reference coolers, where the 780 has the aftermarket ones. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2agUV

Overall great video and the 500/1000$ builds. Wich is I suppose the route most people will go for. 

Yeah we rushed this out the door a little. I should have caught that.

8GB DDR3 HDD? @LinusTech what are you smoking....

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

For about $565 the ''just game'' system is not very good

For $30 you could pretty much get a better psu like the EVGA 500b or even a

CX500 on sale, the 500b is mostly 29.99.

Same with the case the Source 210 is a great case for about $30 also.

For $150 you can get an HD7870 myst which is close to a 7950 since its a Tahiti core,Same price as the 7850...

If you make these changes the build would perform quite alot better.

We tried to use "regular" pricing for the most part. I could find crazy deals for many of these things that would drive pricing down even further or get us better parts, but I wanted something that could be relevant for a little bit longer than that.

The changes you've made are great choices though.

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard:  Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $475.13

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-28 13:12 EST-0500)

<$500 much better than the one you had. I respect you Linus, but next time give it to us in the Build Planning section. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I guess that 290 makes up for the 770...

<snip>

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-28 13:12 EST-0500)

I think that's why he didn't go for something like that -- there is $90 mail-in-rebates!

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

i love the $500 machine, i know how much power we can get from that build and i truly recommend,100% approved

Those prices O_O

if you had those prices in video right, then it's 1900 cad (or usd?), so 1300 €.

Now look at this:

"Game on" in Slovenia:

With 780 and Win 8.1, prices with 22% tax

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K -  315 €

Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S - 62 €
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 179 €
Hard Drive: WD Red 3TB - 139 €
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 Pro - 188 €
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - 110 €
Video Card: GTX 780, 520 €
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866 - 190 €
Power Supply: Corsair TXM 750W - 120 €

SUM: ca. 1930 €

Jeeezus.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I love the 200r! Also I just got a machine similar to the "Game on" Build!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

them prices ._. try microcenter.com or frys.com they are so much cheaper lol. but some of thier stuff is in-store pick-up only so if its not local dont worry.

Linus, I wish you had gone more in depth on why the 290 over the 780. I thought you and slick were on the green team because of Gsync.

I just ordered all my parts for my build except the GPU and I was hoping this video would make the decision easier, unfortunately there wasn't as much insight on the 290 vs 780 decision as I'd hoped for. Can you elaborate?

Yeah we rushed this out the door a little. I should have caught that.

So which one is it?

Hi guys, I'm putting together a build for my friend. I'm from the UK, which means PC parts are considerably more expensive (yaay). Building on top of the $500 PC, I was thinking of going with an AsRock FM2A75 Pro4 and an R9 270X isntead. Any thoughts?  :) 

Video Card: Radeon HD 7850 2GB - NCIX, Amazon

From a what the heck should I get point of view, why not an R9-270 or a GTX 660 ?

I don't approve of the 1000$ build :P should have gone with a 8320 and a 280x if you don't care about shield

For the buying links you should also ad amazon UK and DE so you cover Europe too!

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs