Coffee Lake Rumored to have 4.7GHz Turbo..

https://hardforum.com/threads/coffee-lake-lga-1151-6c-12t-launching-in-august-several-k-models-planned.1930226/page-16#post-1043127762

This is going to be insane if true, holy shit lol

Not posting in news section cause.. i don't post fake news, however this is most likely legit so general chat should find it fine

Btw, the random user leaked leaked Skylake-X specs back in May

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-skylake-kaby-lake-coffee-lake-thread-skylake-x-reviews-out-page-501.2428363/page-417#post-38889905

So take it with a grain of salt, however pretty sure this is legit!

4.7 on a 6 core? They better not use mayo between the die and IHS again then, otherwise its a free heater at least. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

4.7 on a 6 core? They better not use mayo between the die and IHS again then, otherwise its a free heater at least. 

LOL no kidding

Just now, rn8686 said:

They didn't solder any of X299 CPUs, and they go up to 18 cores.

So they surely won't solder mainstream 6 core CPU, but they will just make statement, that users shouldn't overclock CPUs to prevent them from overheating.

If they would solder that 6c/12t CPU and sell it dor under 320€, I would buy it without thinking twice.

But I suspect that 4c/8t will still be around 340€, while 6c/12t will be selling for 400€ or even a bit more. It's Intel afterall.

Enough ranting ... OC and IPC will be great on those. That's the only positive thing that I can say about it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

As a single core turbo on the highest binned SKU it's possible, but that's hitting the thermal limits of their toothpaste which makes it unlikely to overclock much at all without delidding.

7 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

unless i'm reading it wrong its only a single core 4.7 turbo

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

"taken from the posted website"

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

unless i'm reading it wrong its only a single core 4.7 turbo

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

"taken from the posted website"

Didnt read the full aricle myself, OP should make it more clear it the post. 

6 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

OC and IPC will be great on those. That's the only positive thing that I can say about it.

I'm thinking that IPC wont really be much better than Kabylake, and OC ability will depend on if they have proper paste between the IHS (At least at stock). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

I'm thinking that IPC wont really be much better than Kabylake, and OC ability will depend on if they have proper paste between the IHS (At least at stock). 

well, Intel isn't claiming any IPC improvements with Coffee Lake though so that's fine

however, 2 more physical cores with ht.. this is going to be an absolute monster. big if true

however 2x, the price has to be competitive with the 7700k, which i doubt it will tbh

4 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Stated turbo clocks have traditionally been for single core. This can be complicated a little by Turbo Boost 2 which allows 2 cores to turbo, but that only applies to some 8+ core CPUs.

The rumour at 3.7 base, 4.3 all core boost, 4.7 single core boost. For comparison, the 7700k is 4.2 base 4.5 boost so Coffee Lake isn't far from that, and a slight improvement to clock potential and power efficiency is probably enough to make that possible, in a similar way that Kaby Lake improved on Skylake. This is without any meaningful change to IPC. I hope the 12MB cache indicates 2MB/core L3 which is comparable to other desktop CPUs, and is not the rebalanced structure used in Skylake-X which is looking like it may benefit from different software optimisations.

Intel certainly hasn't been sitting idle. I only recently got Skylake-X to play with, which I recognise is neither Skylake-S (mainstream) nor Kaby Lake, but it sure clocks more easily that Skylake-S achieving Prime95 stable 4.3 GHz on all cores at stock voltage of 1.1v, which is significantly lower voltage than stock on a 6700k which depending on the sample is around 1.2-1.3v and I find they are only P95 stable to 4.2 GHz at such. I haven't had time to push the limits for lesser stresses than Prime95 yet.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

however, 2 more physical cores with ht.. this is going to be an absolute monster. big if true

The 1600(X) will likely still spank it for value.

10 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

however 2x, the price has to be competitive with the 7700k, which i doubt it will tbh

I don't think Intel can price it much higher than a 7700k. There is already the 7800X also with 6c12t above it and I think the mainstream one will have to be priced below that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

What I had in mind was when you delid that CPU ... then OC should be amazing.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, porina said:

The 1600(X) will likely still spank it for value.

I don't think Intel can price it much higher than a 7700k. There is already the 7800X also with 6c12t above it and I think the mainstream one will have to be priced below that.

Got all hyped and shit, then I just realized well.. it'll prob cost 2x more than the 1600 lol

Anyone else here like the fact that Intel doesn't solder their CPU's? I like the concept of de-lidding... gives me a chance to be an enthusiast again. Overclocking, watercooling, the amount of performance you get out of these things are very much evaporating from existence (especially when it comes to GPU's in this last pascal generation). Being able to de-lid and take my rig that step further than other people who are unwilling is a perk IMO, not the end of the world.

Just now, Zyndo said:

Anyone else here like the fact that Intel doesn't solder their CPU's? I like the concept of de-lidding... gives me a chance to be an enthusiast again. Overclocking, watercooling, the amount of performance you get out of these things are very much evaporating from existence (especially when it comes to GPU's in this last pascal generation). Being able to de-lid and take my rig that step further than other people who are unwilling is a perk IMO, not the end of the world.

Well, I think that's a case of turning something negative into a positive :P -- To each their own though :)

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

I'd rather they solder it so I don't have to do through the mess of de-lidding. I've done two Skylakes previously, and last night while rearranging systems I did it on an i3-4360. Hardly worth it on an i3 you might say? It took the hottest core down 10C under Prime95 and made the fan a lot quieter. This is a quick job with MX-4 under the IHS. I have some liquid metal too but I've been too lazy to prepare and use it.

9 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Well, I think that's a case of turning something negative into a positive :P -- To each their own though :)

maybe... but If i want my PC to be faster than someone elses, it shouldn't solely be a measure of how much money i can throw at it. There should be certain nuances and tweakable things for the daring and educated enthusiasts to exploit (such as a de-lid) in order to give us that special edge IMO. and with each generation of hardware, the term "enthusiast" just becomes more and more synonymous with "baller"... pc performance is just becoming a spending game as we go forward. Which is fine, I'm not complaining that  a $1000 GPU out performs a $500 GPU, obviously it should.... but not every $500 dollar GPU in the world should perform pretty much identically to every other $500 GPU IMO... not when you take user knowledge and experience into account.

Because, to be fair, the Intel "shit TIM" is only bad because we know better things exist. If you just take the 7700k at face value, and say it can get 4.8GHz or 5GHz or whatever frequency your 7700k can reach out of the box with your chosen cooler.... its still the undisputed gaming performance king by a pretty wide margin (not considering previous i7's like 6700k, 4790k, and so on which all suffer from the same "shit TIM"). its a monster of a CPU, and sure while hot, can be kept in check by a proper amount of cooling. for anyone who doesn't know that the IHS is not soldered to the die (which is actually the fair majority of people outside of a tech group like this) its the best, most badass, no-compromise CPU there is (for gaming). I mean sure AMD solders their CPU's, which is all well and good, but as far as raw performance goes they just don't compete... and there is not a whole lot of things you can do to change that. (not hating on AMD, Ryzen is kicking ass, just using them as the example since they're the only competition out there).

59 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

You sure that's mayo?;)

I'll grab my coat.

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

You sure that's mayo?;)

I'll grab my coat.

hold my beer

28 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

maybe... but If i want my PC to be faster than someone elses, it shouldn't solely be a measure of how much money i can throw at it. There should be certain nuances and tweakable things for the daring and educated enthusiasts to exploit (such as a de-lid) in order to give us that special edge IMO. and with each generation of hardware, the term "enthusiast" just becomes more and more synonymous with "baller"... pc performance is just becoming a spending game as we go forward. Which is fine, I'm not complaining that  a $1000 GPU out performs a $500 GPU, obviously it should.... but not every $500 dollar GPU in the world should perform pretty much identically to every other $500 GPU IMO... not when you take user knowledge and experience into account.

Because, to be fair, the Intel "shit TIM" is only bad because we know better things exist. If you just take the 7700k at face value, and say it can get 4.8GHz or 5GHz or whatever frequency your 7700k can reach out of the box with your chosen cooler.... its still the undisputed gaming performance king by a pretty wide margin (not considering previous i7's like 6700k, 4790k, and so on which all suffer from the same "shit TIM"). its a monster of a CPU, and sure while hot, can be kept in check by a proper amount of cooling. for anyone who doesn't know that the IHS is not soldered to the die (which is actually the fair majority of people outside of a tech group like this) its the best, most badass, no-compromise CPU there is (for gaming). I mean sure AMD solders their CPU's, which is all well and good, but as far as raw performance goes they just don't compete... and there is not a whole lot of things you can do to change that. (not hating on AMD, Ryzen is kicking ass, just using them as the example since they're the only competition out there).

I agree. Since the IHS isnt soldered to the dye on the skylake X chips, overclocking is very limited, unless you have an AIO or custom water cooler. I have recently watched a review where the core i7-7820X could only be overclocked to a maximun 4.5GHz because the temperatures were exceeding 90C with an AIO liquid cooler installed. So, it definately shows the overclocking limitations for these new skylake X chips. In conclusion, Ryzen is the best alternative CPU simply because its cheaper in terms of price to perofrmance and its better when it comes to keeping the temperature stable when overclocking. In terms of the i7-7700k it is definately a great overclocker and its a great quad core cpu for gaming. 

7 hours ago, TheBeastPC said:

Since the IHS isnt soldered to the dye on the skylake X chips, overclocking is very limited, unless you have an AIO or custom water cooler.

It is limited, even if you have decent water. My 7800X with EK loop I've so far taken to 4.3 GHz Prime95 stable at default voltage. CPU and VRM temps are below 80C at this condition. I think the CPU could be a lot cooler, allowing more voltage and clock if it were soldered instead. I'll probably de-lid once tools are available. Unfortunately my interests are a Ryzen weak spot and it doesn't even come close to an i5.