gtx 970 SLI vs 1070

Bradders
Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,
2 hours ago, Bradders said:

Hey guys, currently got a gtx 970 in my rig and was thinking of either adding another or getting a 1070. Either that or a new monitor but not so sure how well a single 970 can handle a dual monitor setup.

Sell it, get 1070.

SLI with older / weaker cards was a stupid idea 10 years ago, and that didn't change.

If it were a good idea, everyone would do it :)

Problems with 970 sli:

- bad scaling. Many modern games don't support Sli anymore at all. And those who do, probably only +50% performance or less

- much more heat output + power consumption

- still only 3.5gb total vram useable.

- Probably only x8/x8 configuration, instead x16/x16.

a GTX 1070 is better than a 2nd 970 in every aspect:

- Faster in pretty much every title

- more than double the Vram (+ higher bandwidth)

- more modern architecture --> better optimizations for future games

- consumes similar power of 1 GTX 970

Regarding Vega: There was alot of Hype since a Year ago.

Nowadays, this Hype got transformed into "lost hope" for many. Even for many professional reviewers.

Of course... just wait this one Week. Siggraph is in 7 days, then we will see what Vega (gaming version) can do with their "opzimized" drivers.

If you have a Freesync Monitor or plan buying one, it might be a good choice.

in ANY way: I would wait for vega, and THEN decide if you get a GTX 1070/1080, or Vega. Will all depend on how Vega is priced. Despite HBM2, they should NOT cost more than the Nvidia counterparts, since their power consumption is MUCH higher.

Hey guys, currently got a gtx 970 in my rig and was thinking of either adding another or getting a 1070. Either that or a new monitor but not so sure how well a single 970 can handle a dual monitor setup.

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

Sell it and get a single 1070. It's not worth the trouble to get minimal performance increase in games that supports SLI

not all games will support SLI and the performance gain in the ones which do is tiny, so you may as well get a 1070 and have support for all games, and assuming you have enough money for a 1070 without selling the 970 then if you sell it you might be able to afford a 1080 which will be a great card for the next several years

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Sell it and get a single 1070. It's not worth the trouble to get minimal performance increase in games that supports SLI

Not sure I quite agree, from what I've investigated 970 sli outperforms a single 1070 in a few cases and the performance increase is far from 'tiny'. Although it is advisable to stick with one card rather than two so get the 1070 if you can afford it.

What do you mean about a single 970 running dual monitors? I had three monitors connected to my 970 at one point, currently running two.

Just now, trace6x said:

Not sure I quite agree, from what I've investigated 970 sli outperforms a single 1070 in a few cases. Although it is advisable to stick with one card rather than two.

What do you mean about a single 970 running dual monitors? I had three monitors connected to my 970 at one point, currently running two.

this is true a 970 SLI will be faster in some cases, but for most it's not, and a 1070 will be faster

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, trace6x said:

Not sure I quite agree, from what I've investigated 970 sli outperforms a single 1070 in a few cases. Although it is advisable to stick with one card rather than two.

oh awesome so itll run fine with two

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

1 minute ago, trace6x said:

1. Moar power

2. Not all games support SLI

3. Harder to resell later

4. Maxwell is older

5. Less VRAM for future

Just now, Bradders said:

Yeah totally, it'll even run Nvidia surround, not very well mind you but it does work.

Dual 970's will perform closer to a 1080 WHEN IT WORKS.

I played with dual 970's before and getting one single better GPU was a relief.

Your choice.

Above 1440p ...Moreso the 1620p/1800p and ESP 2160p the GTX970's (Vram overclocked as well) run out of memory bandwidth (and vram too, so settings are compromised more) and drops are way worse than expected at such high resolutions.

I've done a whole YT channel with my Gigabyte G1 GTX970 OC'd and Nvidia's DSR with over 30-40 games,AAA and Indie, it didnt matter to me,...

1600p-1800p depending on the title is very do-able.

You can have a really decent 3200x1800p experience, and performance holds rock solid, but the jump to 3840x2160p outright then destroys FPS in a way that wasnt like any other resolution jump previous.

/MyXP with a Single GPU, I know SLI is going to be faster, but the underlying issues (VRAM/Bandwidth) are still there on the table.

/Dualmonitors? - As in GamingPanel+Extra realestate panel, I've never NOT run this way, never an issue for me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i would wait for vega first, there will most likely be a variant with similar performance for cheaper

Just now, JJVGaming said:

i would wait for vega first, there will most likely be a variant with similar performance for cheaper

Vega? is that AMD?

Just now, Bradders said:

Vega? is that AMD?

ya it aint out yet but they wil show it in a week or so

2 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Vega? is that AMD?

Yep, New AMD GPU's.

Released - Vega Frontier is the ProBusiness Card (Not for Gaming, but can, but shouldnt be bought for it, also EXPENSIVE)

Not Released - RX Vega are codenames for their ProGaming Consumer Cards

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

29 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Yep, New AMD GPU's.

Released - Vega Frontier is the ProBusiness Card (Not for Gaming, but can, but shouldnt be bought for it, also EXPENSIVE)

Not Released - RX Vega are codenames for their ProGaming Consumer Cards

is there much hype for the RX Vegas?

8 minutes ago, Bradders said:

is there much hype for the RX Vegas?

tbh for me at least the hype kind of died down a bit after computex basically telling us to wait 2 months but there is still hype. A bit dissapointed that there is a 99.9% chance that AMD has no 1080 ti competitors

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Above 1440p ...Moreso the 1620p/1800p and ESP 2160p the GTX970's (Vram overclocked as well) run out of memory bandwidth (and vram too, so settings are compromised more) and drops are way worse than expected at such high resolutions.

I've done a whole YT channel with my Gigabyte G1 GTX970 OC'd and Nvidia's DSR with over 30-40 games,AAA and Indie, it didnt matter to me,...

You can have a really decent 3200x1800p experience, and performance holds rock solid, but the jump to 3840x2160p outright then destroys FPS in a way that wasnt like any other resolution jump previous.

/MyXP with a Single GPU, I know SLI is going to be faster, but the underlying issues (VRAM/Bandwidth) are still there on the table.

/Dualmonitors? - As in GamingPanel+Extra realestate panel, I've never NOT run this way, never an issue for me.

so not really 4K ready? i dont need too high frame rate, 75 plus is good for me

mind that not every MOBO supports SLI if your board doesnt the answer is quite simple...

Sell it, get 1070.

SLI with older / weaker cards was a stupid idea 10 years ago, and that didn't change.

If it were a good idea, everyone would do it :)

Problems with 970 sli:

- bad scaling. Many modern games don't support Sli anymore at all. And those who do, probably only +50% performance or less

- much more heat output + power consumption

- still only 3.5gb total vram useable.

- Probably only x8/x8 configuration, instead x16/x16.

a GTX 1070 is better than a 2nd 970 in every aspect:

- Faster in pretty much every title

- more than double the Vram (+ higher bandwidth)

- more modern architecture --> better optimizations for future games

- consumes similar power of 1 GTX 970

Regarding Vega: There was alot of Hype since a Year ago.

Nowadays, this Hype got transformed into "lost hope" for many. Even for many professional reviewers.

Of course... just wait this one Week. Siggraph is in 7 days, then we will see what Vega (gaming version) can do with their "opzimized" drivers.

If you have a Freesync Monitor or plan buying one, it might be a good choice.

in ANY way: I would wait for vega, and THEN decide if you get a GTX 1070/1080, or Vega. Will all depend on how Vega is priced. Despite HBM2, they should NOT cost more than the Nvidia counterparts, since their power consumption is MUCH higher.

I have a 1070. if you have enough PCI express (16) slots and power then i would go for sli. i have never owned a 970 but 2 of my friends have it. not a bad card. i used to play 1080p medium to high with my 960. 

On 24/07/2017 at 10:46 AM, SkilledRebuilds said:

Considering a 144hz, 1440p monitor coupled with my current 1080p,60hz, you think the 970 can handle it?

SLI in general is just not very good. Some games don't support it. Other times it's less reliable than having a single gpu. The only reason anyone should ever do it is if they want the best possible performance that's available to the public. And if they do that, they're not getting very good value at all