How long will gtx 1080 last me (estimate)

FoxAxe

So for peace of mind and for planning

How long will gtx 1080 last me with 1080p monitor with medium to high settings 

Im looking for 4-5 or more years

Rig 

Gtx 1080 

Intel i7 7700k

Depends on the type of games.

If you want modern AAA titles at 60 FPS, then probably 3 to 5 years.

If you're less concerned with AAA titles and just play whatever, then 5 to 7 years is definitely possible.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It's likely to seem quite elderly in 5+ years if history is any guide, but I don't think 2–3 years is too much to expect.

Normally this is where I'd suggest buying a cheaper card instead (as long as it still fits your immediate needs) because then you would have money left over to upgrade it sooner which may leave you in a better spot in the long-term. A 1070 now and an 1170 (?) later is probably a better situation than a 1080 for the same period of time. But the pricing on cards below the 1080 is still pretty bad.

Just take how long the 480,580,680,780,880,980 last as reference [:

I say it'll be a very good card for another 3 years.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

But if i upgrade later am i able to use the same motherboard and other parts or will my cpu bottleneck next? 

My power supply has 10 years of warranty

Depends. Do you want a stable 60FPS in Ubisoft games? You should have gotten 2 Titan Xps. Do you want a stable 60FPS in all other games, probably 2-4 years :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I guess 4 years or more, but it really differs how game engine and optimization develops in future.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Depends. Do you want a stable 60FPS in Ubisoft games? You should have gotten 2 Titan Xps. Do you want a stable 60FPS in all other games, probably 2-4 years :D

Ubisoft for example...

But if i upgrade later am i able to use the same motherboard and other parts or will my cpu bottleneck next? 

20 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

I guess 4 years or more, but it really differs how game engine and optimization develops in future.

Ubisoft for example...

22 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

24 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just take how long the 480,580,680,780,880,980 last as reference [:

I say it'll be a very good card for another 3 years.

28 minutes ago, typographie said:

It's likely to seem quite elderly in 5+ years if history is any guide, but I don't think 2–3 years is too much to expect.

Normally this is where I'd suggest buying a cheaper card instead (as long as it still fits your immediate needs) because then you would have money left over to upgrade it sooner which may leave you in a better spot in the long-term. A 1070 now and an 1170 (?) later is probably a better situation than a 1080 for the same period of time. But the pricing on cards below the 1080 is still pretty bad.

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Depends on the type of games.

If you want modern AAA titles at 60 FPS, then probably 3 to 5 years.

If you're less concerned with AAA titles and just play whatever, then 5 to 7 years is definitely possible.

47 minutes ago, FoxAxe said:

CPU bottlenecks are entirely dependent on the game you're playing and what that game asks of your hardware. It even shifts moment-to-moment based on what's happening in said game. We can't predict that because the games I assume you're talking about don't exist yet. If I had to guess, I'd say your i7-7700K is highly unlikely to be a real "bottleneck" problem in any games anytime soon at a sensible framerate.

60fps on medium settings at 1080p, yeah probably the best part of 5 years for new games. My 780 Ti was 3 years old and could still play most new games at 1080p60 on high.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

People are still playing modern titles on low settings with 780s. If you're running 1080p at 60Hz, the GTX 1080 should last another 2 or so years on high or better settings before you need to start reducing your graphics, then another 1-3 years until an upgrade is necessary.

2 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

People are still playing modern titles on low settings with 780s. If you're running 1080p at 60Hz, the GTX 1080 should last another 2 or so years on high or better settings before you need to start reducing your graphics, then another 1-3 years until an upgrade is necessary.

I can still run modern games with high settings with my 7970, I think 780 should do better than that.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

6 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

Way more than low considering my 660 can play at medium+ just fine...

The 780 Ti is almost 4 years old at this point and it still plays most games at 60fps high settings. You'll be fine for a long while.

7 hours ago, FoxAxe said:

Rig 

Gtx 1080 

Intel i7 7700k

Probably about 3-5 years, depending on what fps you want and what game.

In 3 years you can probably still run everything on high at 60fps, in 5 years you will probably have to turn things to medium and get between 30-60fps.

Just my gut feeling based on experience, there is no way to know for sure.

Depends on how big of a jump game development makes. If games start really utilizing the power of PS4pro and xbox one x, pc games might start getting much more demanding as a result.

7 hours ago, FoxAxe said:

Rig 

Gtx 1080 

Intel i7 7700k

You can probably get 5 years out of it. My 780ti was a 3 and a half year old card and it still ran newer games at 1080p high settings. Plus the 1080 is more overkill for 1080p than the 780ti was at the time. There were still a handful of games that the 780ti couldn't run at 60fps ultra when it came out. There's only one that the 1080 can't do, which is Ghost Recon Wildlands. 

Keep in mind as games grow more demanding it's because they look better. If you ran a game on a 1080 at low settings 60fps in say 6 years, you're probably getting visual fidelity equal to about high or ultra today. Games tend to scale really well with lower detail settings these days. 

10 hours ago, FoxAxe said:

This depends on YOUR expectations, an how often you upgrade your PC.

Newer games that comes up in the future will typically get more demanding compared to presently available games.

That is a nature as computer technology improves, and gets faster.

BF1 now will be more or less the same as BF1 5 years from now.

BF9 .... will naturally require a more powerful system to run compared to BF1.

A GTX 1080 now could play BF1 with basically zero issues, but we can't say much for .... BF9.

If you plan to upgrade your system (e.g. CPU, motherboard, and RAM) 5 years from now, your existing motherboard and CPU would probably not work. As of present, we are on 7th generation Intel CPU. 5 years from now...we could be on the 10th generation or something. By that time, the CPU would be on a different socket (LGA 1151 now...could be like LGA 1015), and using...DDR5 or DDR6 RAM. In that case, motherboards and RAM from present time won't be compatible. It would be like trying to fit a square block into a triangle shaped hole.

Simply put, we can't give you a 100% guaranteed answer for your question.

There is no way, as ordinary consumers, to predict what the PC will be like 3 ~ 5 years (or more) from now...

If you ask us what is to come 1 ~ 2 years from now, we could probably answer that.

Companies (like AMD, Intel, nVidia) won't be like "in the year 2025 we will use DDR6 RAM, and LGA 2025 socket for the i7-9770K."

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I got my GTX 770 shortly after it released in 2013, and I didn't replace it until the 1070 launched last year, and that wasn't even a flagship GPU. It can still run Doom on Ultra without dipping too hard below 60 fps, and runs Overwatch on maxed settings above 60 fps at 1080p.

That 1080 will do just as well if not better than my 770 did for its day in terms of effective lifespan.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Do what i did if you have the patience. Pick a game you want to play and if you cant play it at the specs and fps you are happy with. Either refund it if its on steam or leave it until you upgrade. I had games which i was not happy playing on with my 2 670 in SLI i had them for years before i got my 1080ti and now im playing them at the specs and FPS i like. Yes its going to tax your patience BUT there is plenty of games out there which you can play which is less demanding. Its all about WILLPOWER. I waited 5 years to upgrade my GPU to a 1080ti. I waited that long becuase it wanted value for money. It was a massive upgrade over my old 670's in SLI. I am glad i waited now. Ive got years worth of games to play but UNLUCKY for me not much time to play them, but at least it will keep my busy for a few more years LOL.

close to every game gets CPU bottlenecked using a 1080ti at 1080p...  obviously.

Buying a graphics card right now is wasting money for a few different reasons.

1. Prices are higher then they should be 

2. We expect Volta's line up early next year, never buy a card thats already 1+ years old.

other then that, buying GPU's in a ~4-5year cycle is probably the best you can do.

F.e.:

If you have bought a GTX970 (2014) your next sweetspot for buying a new Card is Volta (2018).

If you Bought a 780ti (2013) you could either choose to buy a 1080ti (2017) or wait until Volta (2018). (you paid twice as much for a much more powerhungry GPU for "maybe" using it 1year longer)

You could still use your GPU as long as it lives, but you would have to play on mostly low settings, maybe stuttering, low fps or game crashing because you run out of VRAM and stuff. My GTX460 still works with its 1GB VRAM .. but i wont ever use it anymore because it sucks and its performance is not worth its powerdraw.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

13 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can get 60 FPS in ubisoft games? I thought it was locked to 15 FPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 hours ago, IceCold008 said:

Do what i did if you have the patience. Pick a game you want to play and if you cant play it at the specs and fps you are happy with. Either refund it if its on steam or leave it until you upgrade. I had games which i was not happy playing on with my 2 670 in SLI i had them for years before i got my 1080ti and now im playing them at the specs and FPS i like. Yes its going to tax your patience BUT there is plenty of games out there which you can play which is less demanding. Its all about WILLPOWER. I waited 5 years to upgrade my GPU to a 1080ti. I waited that long becuase it wanted value for money. It was a massive upgrade over my old 670's in SLI. I am glad i waited now. Ive got years worth of games to play but UNLUCKY for me not much time to play them, but at least it will keep my busy for a few more years LOL.

The thing is that i have waited 8years my current pc has reached over 8 years and i can't play the new games even st lowest settings and if i wait for volta (tempting) i dont have xmas vacation to play and also im going to lukio ''which is much more demanding than primary scool so i have less time to play.