HDD shows up in BIOS but doesn't post into windows

Billy_Mays
8 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

If you prepare the system disk you move, yes it works. But just taking it out and putting it into another machine won't usually work.

I myself moved a system (W2K) from a PIII to an AMD Athlon without fresh install. Later an XP from the Athlon to a Core 2 Duo, without fresh install... later yes I installed a fresh 7. this moved again without reinstalling form the Core 2 Duo to the machine in my signature. And it would still be the same one if the recent NVIDIA drivers wouldn't crap the system beyond repair... 

It can be done, but there need to be things done before, and a minimal kind of compatibility must be given.

If the windows installation from the Laptop can't boot on because drivers are missing for the new SATA/PATA controller the drive is connected to, and generic ones don't work, you'll get nowhere.

Firstly, I wasn't talking about old OSs like 2K/XP.  But, there is a function there called 'Repair Installation' but runs like a normal install but actually only really gets Windows to renumerate all it's devices a if it were a new install.  Handy thing.  But that's gone from Win7 onward so not really relevant info in 2017, just interesting.

Secondly, talking about 7 onward now, if it needed SATA drivers, they're still there.  Windows does not delete drivers when a device is disconnected so if any drivers were there before they are still there, even if they were not used because different hardware was detected on that boot.  This is probably a renumeration issue.  I would not be suprised if the machine will TOTALLY boot in safe mode where it doesn't need drivers at all.  If you can get into Safemode you can basically go into device manager, remove every device, reboot, and it should numerate everything all over again.

...Granted, MS made getting Win10 into safe mode a hell of a chore because...  I don't know, they hate us?

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Firstly, I wasn't talking about old OSs like 2K/XP.  But, there is a function there called 'Repair Installation' but runs like a normal install but actually only really gets Windows to renumerate all it's devices a if it were a new install.  Handy thing.  But that's gone from Win7 onward so not really relevant info in 2017, just interesting.

Secondly, talking about 7 onward now, if it needed SATA drivers, they're still there.  Windows does not delete drivers when a device is disconnected so if any drivers were there before they are still there, even if they were not used because different hardware was detected on that boot.  This is probably a renumeration issue.  I would not be suprised if the machine will TOTALLY boot in safe mode where it needs drivers for almost anything.  If you can get into Safemode you can basically go into device manager, remove every device, reboot, and it should numerate everything all over again.

...Granted, MS made getting Win10 into safe mode a hell of a chore because...  I don't know, they hate us?

Ok a new drive is needed 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Secondly, talking about 7 onward now, if it needed SATA drivers, they're still there.  Windows does not delete drivers when a device is disconnected so if any drivers were there before they are still there, even if they were not used because different hardware was detected on that boot.  This is probably a renumeration issue.  I would not be suprised if the machine will TOTALLY boot in safe mode where it needs drivers for almost anything.  If you can get into Safemode you can basically go into device manager, remove every device, reboot, and it should numerate everything all over again.

I see problems there...

first the Laptop is Intel based, the PC AMD based. that means totally different SATA controllers. Then there is the thing with AHCI mode. If the laptop is in AHCI, the PC isn't, it won't boot either without a registry fix. 

I personally don't like those automated repairs. Somtimes the routine mixes up different versions of files, like putting back dll that are older than the recent updates made etc. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Ok a new drive is needed 

God, no.  IF it'll boot fine in ONE computer, then the drive itself is fine.  It's installation or boot is instead somehow borked.  Your WORST case scenario is that you have to reinstall windows.

Just now, Anghammarad said:

first the Laptop is Intel based, the PC AMD based. that means totally different SATA controllers. Then there is the thing with AHCI mode. If the laptop is in AHCI, the PC isn't, it won't boot either without a registry fix. 

True, but you can still use the recovery tools to get into the registry and change it.  Also that can't be the case here, It wouldn't boot in one machine, then boot in ANOTHER, but stop booting in the first computer, if this was an AHCI/IDE problem.  It woulda refused to boot on the second computer from the get go.  That can't be this situation.  ...Well, unless BIOSes were reset during this mess and the laptop defaults to the opposite to how it was configured when the OS was installed.  Though that seems unlikely.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

True, but you can still use the recovery tools to get into the registry and change it.  Also that can't be the case here, It wouldn't boot in one machine, then boot in ANOTHER, but stop booting in the first computer, if this was an AHCI/IDE problem.  It woulda refused to boot on the second computer from the get go.  That can't be this situation.  ...Well, unless BIOSes were reset during this mess and the laptop defaults to the opposite to how it was configured when the OS was installed.  Though that seems unlikely.

it booted back into windows after the initial auto repair, it just took a little longer. (read above, or on page one) 

I'm in the IT for over 20 years now and from experience, I know computers aren't logical :P

(Hell, I got my first computer 35 years ago... I was six then...)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So what do I need to do to get my PC working finally 

19 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Ok so I should get a new drive?

well you can repartition drive and enlarge the boot record

then create 2 partitions for OS to be installed

now tell bootloader that on boot if sees this cpu then use this partition type thinking

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

So what do I need to do to get my PC working finally 

Well, we can try a bunch of technical fixes but I'm going to be totally honest here: You communicate like shit.  I've seen threads by you, you make odd assumptions and provide poor context end details when it comes to getting help.  I'm literally baffled as to how English is your first language.  I would have an easier time explaining to my cat how to defuse a bomb.

So to make life simpler and get the PC working again the fastest, rescue your stuff, reformat, reinstall windows.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, we can try a bunch of technical fixes but I'm going to be totally honest here: You communicate like shit.  I've seen threads by you, you make odd assumptions and provide poor context end details when it comes to getting help.  I'm literally baffled as to how English is your first language.  I would have an easier time explaining to my cat how to defuse a bomb.

So to make life simpler and get the PC working again the fastest, rescue your stuff, reformat, reinstall windows.

Well I've tried doing everything I can currently to improve my English but I don't know why my literacy is horrible but one of my teachers that I had said I had a compression problem and some stuff just doesn't make sense to me so it needs to be explained basically to a little kid what it means or does and I can't do anything to fix it I've tried my hardest to fix it but I just can't but it also doesn't help when I was 5 I had 110v go through me and I almost died twice since I was born so I've dealt with enough close calls in my life and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my parents doing what they do, so I'm one of those kids that can't change themselves and is a introvert forever

7 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

well you can repartition drive and enlarge the boot record

then create 2 partitions for OS to be installed

now tell bootloader that on boot if sees this cpu then use this partition type thinking

How do I do that

I got it to a point that I can't change the background anymore on my laptop but in the morning I'll try to reformat the drives but is there a way to keep the files on both of my drives?

5 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

How do I do that

first need to use windows disk partioning tool

then configure your mbr using cmd prompt and windows mbr tool

not easy

this is hard thing to do

3 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

first need to use windows disk partioning tool

then configure your mbr using cmd prompt and windows mbr tool