Cant change to 1.0 gbps duplex

WannaBeAssassin

So I recently go fiber internet and when I went to the network settings to change the speed and duplex to 1.0 gbps the internet cut until immediately until I changed it back to 100mbps. The computer would not recognize that the ethernet cable is plugged in.

I did all the basics checked to make sure the cable was 5e, logged in to the modem and routers to make sure all the setting were correct. I know my ISP is pushing through 1.0gbps because when I connect the laptop it works just fine. how do can I fix this

Is the cable less than 328 feet long? Are both ports gigabit ports?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

What model is your motherboard or NIC card? What model router?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I have an Asus Maximus Hero VIII

The router is the basic one centurylink gives you

3 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Is the cable less than 328 feet long? Are both ports gigabit ports?

Yes, its only 50 feet long

Both ports are gigabit

Just now, WannaBeAssassin said:

Yes, its only 50 feet long

Both ports are gigabit

You have the drivers installed?

You say that the laptop links at 1Gbps, but not the desktop? It this testing done with the same cord, plugged into the same other device (e.g. same port on the same router)?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

is the Ethernet cat 6 cable? If not, run to your closest hardware store and get a cat 6 and your problems should be solved. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

You have the drivers installed?

Is there specific drivers i need?

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

You say that the laptop links at 1Gbps, but not the desktop? It this testing done with the same cord, plugged into the same other device (e.g. same port on the same router)?

yes same cable same everything 

1 minute ago, WannaBeAssassin said:

What motherboard do you have?

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

is the Ethernet cat 6 cable? If not, run to your closest hardware store and get a cat 6 and your problems should be solved. 

5e can do gigabit to 100 meters

Just now, RGProductions said:

5e can do gigabit to 100 meters

I realize that, but there are times when it just doesnt play nice and even seeing your speed and duplex on the ethernet adapter still doesnt work and switching to cat 6 was the only way to get it to work. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

I realize that, but there are times when it just doesnt play nice and even seeing your speed and duplex on the ethernet adapter still doesnt work and switching to cat 6 was the only way to get it to work. 

but it works with the same cable on his laptop

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

but it works with the same cable on his laptop

Again, if he is losing connection when he changes the speed/duplex of his ethernet adapter and when he puts it back to auto it negotiates at 100mbps, cat 6 will be his answer. I am a Network Engineer, I see things like this all the time. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Check that the port on the router is gigabit, if you already tried this then I apologise as TD:DR all the replies.

Can you post a screen cap of your network status for your PC? that should at least rule that out or not.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, legacy99 said:

Again, if he is losing connection when he changes the speed/duplex of his ethernet adapter and when he puts it back to auto it negotiates at 100mbps, cat 6 will be his answer. I am a Network Engineer, I see things like this all the time. 

worth it to try drivers first :), but yeah that seems like the most logical solution to do next

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Check that the port on the router is gigabit, if you already tried this then I apologise as TD:DR all the replies.

Can you post a screen cap of your network status for your PC? that should at least rule that out or not.

He has. When he connects his laptop to the same cable and port he gets the 1.0gbps. His best and easiest answer will be a cat 6 cable. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

He has. When he connects his laptop to the same cable and port he gets the 1.0gbps. His best and easiest answer will be a cat 6 cable. 

That doesn't mean a Cat6 cable is the answer. It may just be that a "new" cable is the answer. Personally I would test the cable with a cable tester, but I can't expect everyone to have one of those.

Just now, brwainer said:

That doesn't mean a Cat6 cable is the answer. It may just be that a "new" cable is the answer. Personally I would test the cable with a cable tester, but I can't expect everyone to have one of those.

The cable he has is fine when connected to the laptop. Some devices are temperamental when it comes to connections. Literally you can do everything under the sun until you are blue in the face to resolve the problems, but in the end it comes down to just the computer not wanting to cooperate and upgrading from Cat 5e to Cat 6 is the answer. Have seen it before in live production environments on more than 1 occasion. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

13 minutes ago, WannaBeAssassin said:

Just the latest drivers from the mobo makers website. Should be under LAN drivers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

As I said, didn't read all the replies, was just throwing out a suggestion. And TBH is he's already tested the cable with the laptop and same port on the router, can't see how changing the cable is the answer, as it clearly works at gigabit speed already. I know it can sometimes be the answer with a temperamental connection, but worth trying other things first IMO.

I am guessing it's the PCs NIC that might be the problem... was it running fine before the change of router? or have you recently changed motherboard, reinstalled windows etc?

Reinstall drivers first.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Another thing to test - if you connect the laptop and desktop together, do both sides say gigabit, or 100Mb? (they should match if both are auto). If they link at 100Mb, then I would take a closer look at the desktop - could have a bent pin inside the ethernet connector, or a less visible issue.

2 hours ago, WannaBeAssassin said:

yes same cable same everything 

A CAT6 cable is unnecessary unless you're going for a 10gb link (which you arent). Try another CAT5e cable if you have one, and even try a different port on the router. What it seems like is going on is that the router and PC are both negotiating to 100mb, then when you change the PC to a static 1gb link the router is not adjusting with it, causing the connection issue. Being that you have a basic home router you are probably not able to set the port speed on the router, so manually setting both sides to gigabit is not an option. One thing you CAN try, is set the PC to gigabit, then unplug and replug the cable to the PC on either end and let it renegotiate the link speed.

Personally I hard-code my ports to gigabit full duplex because I use cisco gear in my house, makes life easy :P

if I install a 3rd part network car could that possibly solve the issue?