How to use 100% of your WiFi Adapter?

This Week i have been moving my over 100 Gigabytes on files from my main PC to a Laptop using Window's File Sharing.

Using a Hard Disk to USB is not an option for me, the adapter i have is quite slow, So i decided to transfer files via local network  using a D-Link Router (DIR-610N+).

First i tried to transfer the files using Wifi then i realized that even though i am sitting next to the Router it only uses 25% of my laptop WiFi Adapter (Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g) according to taskmanager this card is capable of handeling 54 Mbps (6.75 Megabytes) and i was using only 25% (1.68 Megabytes).

So i decided to use the Ethernet port in my latptop that according to taskmanager  is capable of handeling 100 Mbps and in this case it uses 100% of the Network Card.

I would like to Know if it is possible to use all the potential of my Wifi Adapter, What would i have to do? , What is causing the 25% use of the card?

THis is what my Laptop Has

Windows 7 Ultimate

WiFi Adapter: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g

And my  "Router" is a D-Link Router (DIR-610N+)

But i am open to hear stories where you were able to use all the potential of your wifi adapter.

The 54Mbps is under ideal conditions when you're within a couple feet of the router and is the capability of the band you're on. The more distance and walls/interference between you and the device the slower it will go. The reported speed is never going to be the actual speed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Anything regarding file transfers is highly dependent on how many files you're transferring, regardless of the total size.

Think about it this way, let's say you have to put away 50 books vs 10 books, both of these take up the same footprint in a book case, and you receive the books in a random order but they must be put in some order (or more true to file systems, you have to catalog the book in some journal). What's going to take you longer to complete?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Anything regarding file transfers is highly dependent on how many files you're transferring, regardless of the total size.

Think about it this way, let's say you have to put away 50 books vs 10 books, both of these take up the same footprint in a book case, and you receive the books in a random order but they must be put in some order. What's going to take you longer to complete?

Oh god, I moved 600GB of Steam games between drives and it was over 300 000 files, some games having tens of thousands of teeeeeeeny files and it took HOURS due to how many little files it was vs the ammount of data.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

k case, and you receive the books in a random order but they must be put in some order (or mor

I compressed all the 100 Gigabytes using winrar solid compression and i tried moving the computer around the router.

Think about it this way, let's say you have to put away 50 books vs 10 books, both of these take up the same footprint in a book case, and you receive the books in a random order but they must be put in some order (or more true to file systems, you have to catalog the book in some journal). What's going to take you longer to complete?

I compressed all the files into a single .rar file and move the laptop aroun the house and the best preformance was 25% of 54 Mbps.

Edited by molinadiego

Just now, molinadiego said:

I compressed all the 100 Gigabytes using winrar solid compression and i tried moving the computer around the router.

Alright, so another part of the equation is that Wi-Fi bandwidth is the total network bandwidth, not per computer bandwidth. And Wi-Fi is half-duplex (i.e., it can only transmit or receive, it cannot do both at the same time) Since both computers are being used, your total network bandwidth is cut in half right there. And it's likely it may be cut in half again by some other thing going on, like the receiving computer still has to say "yah, I received the thing".

Alright, so another part of the equation is that Wi-Fi bandwidth is the total network bandwidth, not per computer bandwidth. And Wi-Fi is half-duplex (i.e., it can only transmit or receive, it cannot do both at the same time) Since both computers are being used, your total network bandwidth is cut in half right there. And it's likely it may be cut in half again by some other thing going on, like the receiving computer still has to say "yah, I received the thing".

I see if there something i can do in the Router configuration or should i get another kind of Router.

Just now, molinadiego said:

I see if there something i can do in the Router configuration or should i get another kind of Router.

Nothing you can really do. Upgrading the router can provide more throughput but only if the devices support faster protocols like 802.11n or ac and from your initial post, your adapter doesn't support anything faster than g so 54Mbps is the fastest you'll get.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Nothing you can really do. Upgrading the router can provide more throughput but only if the devices support faster protocols like 802.11n or ac and from your initial post, your adapter doesn't support anything faster than g so 54Mbps is the fastest you'll get.

Also to add, if you have a mix of different 802.11 adapters on the same Wi-Fi network, any time the slowest one wants to talk, everyone's performance will tank to match that device.

Any Other advise i was looking forward in to buying a new router and laptop, what should i look for?

If you want to get the most out of transferring files over the network, both computers should be connected to router via ethernet. Then use a network file transfer program (I use Dukto). Wifi transfers aren't going to be great. No matter what device I'm using, the most I can do over wifi is something like 67mbps. So it must be the router. Fastest way to transfer files from one computer to another? External drive or flash drive. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB