how do i set up a diy security system?

Legolessed

One of my friends wants to set up a security system that can either show 1080p or 4k video. He doesn't want a lot of wires everywhere so wifi cameras are a must. He also wants to set up a DVR system to record the footage to some hard drives. I know a Linux distro could accomplish this but I don't know which one would work best. He doesn't want the system to be too expensive. like around $500 if possible. He only needs 3-4 cameras. He also wants to be able to view the footage from his iPhone. I don't know exactly how to do this but I know it must be possible. Thank you so much and I hope you have a fantastic day!

I'd look for some open source software solution that runs on Linux. Then make a cheap PC running something like Lubuntu and put that software on it. The viewable from iPhone part is probably not going to happen. The budget is too low for all that stuff to happen at once. 3-4 cameras can happen if you get something like those $9 wifi capable microcontrollers (I think they're called nodes or something like that, they're similar to arduinos) and then live cameras. Also, 1080p and 4k is WAY too expensive for budget, and would take up a LOT of space. Especially at 4k.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

9 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

I'd look for some open source software solution that runs on Linux. Then make a cheap PC running something like Lubuntu and put that software on it. The viewable from iPhone part is probably not going to happen. The budget is too low for all that stuff to happen at once. 3-4 cameras can happen if you get something like those $9 wifi capable microcontrollers (I think they're called nodes or something like that, they're similar to arduinos) and then live cameras. Also, 1080p and 4k is WAY too expensive for budget, and would take up a LOT of space. Especially at 4k.

What about this? Would this work? https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/hd-1080p-4-camera-home-security-system/MPX84W-1-p

9 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

Or this? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWS96JV/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500183583&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=3180E8fsUWL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

5 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I don't know about specs on those kinds of cameras and equipment; but just the fact that there are bundles at that price point makes me wary.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I guess the easiest solution would be to buy individual IP-cameras and use a PC or maybe just a Raspi to record those streams to a harddrive. Just lookup some tutorials on that one. You can setup a simple script  for that, even on a schedule, like only record at night or whatever.

To watch the footage you could setup a samba-share, which is a very simple thing to do.

I am note sure how well a Raspi would handle 3-4 simultaneous streams however. But I guess an old PC would do just fine.

The Arlo you linked are very decent and low-powered. Also it has app support for Android and iPhone. (And even Windows Mobile if I'm not mistaken) Though do keep in mind, that bundle is without mounts. You'll need to buy those separately. As for storing the footage, I think you can configure the base station to store the footage on a network drive or even a USB hard drive. Though my experience with them is fairly limited, only used them once for a client. It seemed fairly straight forward.

Main RIG: i7 4770k ~ 4.8Ghz | Intel HD Onboard (enough for my LoL gaming) | Samsung 960 Pro 256GB NVMe | 32GB (4x 8GB) Kingston Savage 2133Mhz DDR3 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | ThermalTake FrioOCK | MS-Tech (puke) 700W | Windows 10 64Bit

Mining RIG: AMD A6-9500 | ASRock AB350 Pro | 4GB DDR4 | 500GB 2.5 Inch HDD | 2x MSI AERO GTX 1060 6GB (Core/Memory/TDP/Avg Temp +160/+800/120%/45c) | 1x Asus Strix GTX 970 (+195/+400/125%/55c) | 1x KFA2 GTX 960 (+220/+500/120%/70c) | Corsair GS800 800W | HP HSTNS-PD05 1000W | (Modded) Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4129-N Rackmount Case

Guest RIG: FX6300 | AMD HD7870 | Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD | 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz DDR3 | Some ASRock 970 Mobo | Stock Heatsink | some left over PSU  | Windows 10 64Bit

VM Server: HP Proliant DL160 G6 | 2x Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | 16GB (8x 2GB) HP 1066Mhz ECC DDR3 | 2x Western Digital Black 250GB HDD | VMWare ESXI

Storage Node: 2x Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | Intel ServerBoard S5500HCV | 36GB (9x 4GB) 1333Mhz ECC DDR3 | 3x Seagate 2TB 7200RPM | 4x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB