Will AMD's vega see lower performance @4k if they decide to go with 8gb of VRAM?

I was wondering since its still isn't really clear if 16GB is completely off the table, 4k uses higher res textures right? wouldn't it get bottle necked by the vram? would be pretty sad if it could push 60fps at 4k but had a lot of stutters because of the limited vram.

It does use more, but I dont see how any current game could use that all (I have never seen more than about 4.5 used on my 1070 while playing at 4K high settings).  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

8GB is still a lot of VRAM ...

So that won't make any big impact on gaming.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

8GB is still a lot of VRAM ...

So that won't make any big impact on gaming.

8 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

It does use more, but I dont see how any current game could use that all (I have never seen more than about 4.5 used on my 1070 while playing at 4K high settings).  

eh that was kinda what i thought but it got me kinda confused why would they even consider 16gb if it won't make an impact that big, they are targeted at gamers right? or is it also targeted at compute workloads and stuff like that?

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

eh that was kinda what i thought but it got me kinda confused why would they even consider 16gb if it won't make an impact that big, they are targeted at gamers right? or is it also targeted at compute workloads and stuff like that?

because they are amd

A lot of cores (GPU or CPU) and a lot of vram. as much as possible.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

But, but, Skyrim HD texture mods, maaan!

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

13 minutes ago, tlink said:

16GB is used on the more workstation-oriented card, the Vega FE. It's not unusual for the related gaming card to then have a smaller amount of VRAM.

Most AAA games use around 6-7Gb of VRAM and at the most when playing at max settings at 4K, there's a handful that creep to 8Gb but very few that go over it.

Even for the ones that do it's not that big an issue.  You might a brief stutter as the GPU sums the excess on to the system RAM but that's it.

12 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Most AAA games use around 6-7Gb of VRAM and at the most when playing at max settings at 4K, there's a handful that creep to 8Gb but very few that go over it.

Even for the ones that do it's not that big an issue.  You might a brief stutter as the GPU sums the excess on to the system RAM but that's it.

Pretty sure the only outlier I heard about was DigitalFoundries 8K 1080Ti SLI and they had spooled 8-11GB of Vram in Rise of the Tombraider (8K)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I don't think so.

The console market is very big factor as most games are mainly programmed with those in mind and as long as we don't have >16GB RAM consoles I wouldn't worry personally.

Vega also has High bandwidth cache going for it which is aimed to adress memory size concerns.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, tlink said:

I was wondering since its still isn't really clear if 16GB is completely off the table, 4k uses higher res textures right?

Technically, no. A game set to run at 4K uses the same texture files that the game would use at the same quality settings if set to 1080p. "Special" textures are not loaded up just for 4K. However, rendering the game using more pixels does make everything appear sharper, and that includes the game's existing textures.

If you've ever heard of a "4K" texture file, that just means the dimensions of the file itself are 4096x4096. While that's a relatively high resolution texture, it has nothing in particular to do with 4K as a display resolution. You do not need to be rendering the game at 3840x2160 to "see it."

To your point, though, just rendering at a higher resolution can require more VRAM. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with textures. More pixels is more pixels. But 16 GB is still an outrageous amount of VRAM for playable gaming, and I don't think we even know for sure what tier of product(s) Vega is meant to be.