Help with Port Forwarding

sav_usg

So I am trying to port forward on a Google Wifi Router and no matter what port I try nothing will open. My ISP is comcast and they would not provide me with a just a router. Instead I have a Router/Modem combo and have enabled bridge mode with my router plugged into port 1. I have tried rebooting both routers and still have no success. Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, sav_usg said:

So I am trying to port forward on a Google Wifi Router and no matter what port I try nothing will open. My ISP is comcast and they would not provide me with a just a router. Instead I have a Router/Modem combo and have enabled bridge mode with my router plugged into port 1. I have tried rebooting both routers and still have no success. Any ideas?

To my understanding any power loss on the Comcast box will loose the settings of bridge mode. Go out and buy your own modem. It will save your $120 a year. Also as far as port forwarding on the Google router is concerned, it could be a firmware bug or just a bad router. 

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ this is a link to the Comcast supported Device list, all modems are listed that Comcast will allow you to use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

check the firewall setting on the modem and make sure its not on high security, and (as said above) that bridge mode did not get disabled.

21 hours ago, sav_usg said:

The Comcast router is blocking your ports before they get to the google router. Their are ways around this but the best option is to get all your own equipment.

On 11/07/2017 at 10:58 PM, Donut417 said:

To my understanding any power loss on the Comcast box will loose the settings of bridge mode. Go out and buy your own modem. It will save your $120 a year. Also as far as port forwarding on the Google router is concerned, it could be a firmware bug or just a bad router. 

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ this is a link to the Comcast supported Device list, all modems are listed that Comcast will allow you to use. 

Power cycling a modem should NOT reset any settings, including whether it's in Bridge Mode or not. If this happens, your modem is likely defective. Or there may be a battery inside that needs to be replaced (Coin-style like a CR2032 or whatever).

Once you "save" the settings, it should write them to non-volatile memory (Which may or may not be some sort of Flash Chip powered by a battery).

If ComCast actually did that, it would be incredibly unusual.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Power cycling a modem should NOT reset any settings, including whether it's in Bridge Mode or not. If this happens, your modem is likely defective. Or there may be a battery inside that needs to be replaced (Coin-style like a CR2032 or whatever).

Once you "save" the settings, it should write them to non-volatile memory (Which may or may not be some sort of Flash Chip powered by a battery).

If ComCast actually did that, it would be incredibly unusual.

I've seen people who had lost power and the bridge mode was reset. Customers can't enable the setting on their own. So they have to trust that tech support enabled it properly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I've seen people who had lost power and the bridge mode was reset. Customers can't enable the setting on their own. So they have to trust that tech support enabled it properly. 

Ah so Bridge Mode is locked out of the normal settings via firmware? I assume it's only accessible through the ComCast backdoors then.

It's possible they aren't saving the config (Depends on how their firmware works - eg: If you make changes on a Cisco switch, but don't save the changes, it'll still work until a power cycle clears the RAM).

If the OP is paying a rental fee, I would second your suggestion to buy his own modem.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ah so Bridge Mode is locked out of the normal settings via firmware? I assume it's only accessible through the ComCast backdoors then.

It's possible they aren't saving the config (Depends on how their firmware works - eg: If you make changes on a Cisco switch, but don't save the changes, it'll still work until a power cycle clears the RAM).

If the OP is paying a rental fee, I would second your suggestion to buy his own modem.

Not true, you can access all settings including bridge mode through the web panel. However, the settings are reset when/if Comcast sends a 'refresh' signal to your modem. At least that's how it is from my experience. There's not a battery in my modem, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

1 minute ago, elpiop said:

Not true, you can access all settings including bridge mode through the web panel. However, the settings are reset when/if Comcast sends a 'refresh' signal to your modem. At least that's how it is from my experience. There's not a battery in my modem, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

Sending a refresh signal would be equivalent of factory resetting it, generally speaking. This should not happen under normal circumstances.

Have you checked the circuit board of your modem for a battery? If one exists, you wouldn't see it from the outside. It would be similar to the CMOS battery on a desktop motherboard.

Now, I'm not saying your modem has one, just that it's possible.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Sending a refresh signal would be equivalent of factory resetting it, generally speaking. This should not happen under normal circumstances.

Have you checked the circuit board of your modem for a battery? If one exists, you wouldn't see it from the outside. It would be similar to the CMOS battery on a desktop motherboard.

Now, I'm not saying your modem has one, just that it's possible.

I was having a lot of problems with service because of poor signal coming from the street (until recently when they finally replaced the line ) and their solution, whenever service dropped, was to send a refresh signal. Quite frustrating. You can even trigger a refresh signal by yourself from the xfinity menu on the TV. 

I thought you were referring to an actual backup battery that would keep the modem running if power went out. I've never opened it up to see, but you're probably correct about the CMOS-type battery. 

Just now, elpiop said:

I was having a lot of problems with service because of poor signal coming from the street (until recently when they finally replaced the line ) and their solution, whenever service dropped, was to send a refresh signal. Quite frustrating. You can even trigger a refresh signal by yourself from the xfinity menu on the TV. 

I thought you were referring to an actual backup battery that would keep the modem running if power went out. I've never opened it up to see, but you're probably correct about the CMOS-type battery. 

Apologies for the confusion :)

Man that must be annoying. I recently went through quite a few headaches with "Canada's ComCast", Rogers Cable. I went through 3 modems before they finally figured out the problem (not related to the modem at all).