SSD Endurance test. Question of the past years answered! For how long will your SSD last?

Will it last forever? Well, there's no easy answer. Since each brand uses different components for each model, there's no universal answer, but we could easily conclude based on TechReport's article that it will definitely last for a loooooooooooooooooong time, not for as little as the majority of people tend to think of.

Our friends at TechReport.com managed to find a way to foresse the future, and kill this question that has been bugging us for years by using a method of excessive writing that allows them to predict more or less and a very low margin of error when your SSD will finally fail.

The article is an astonishing post, a result of a very hard work, yeah, it is hard to get this result. So kudos to them, everyone that has an SSD or is intrigued for not knowing exactly for long it will last - which you should be anyways, bcuz it's your data if you don't care about your data who will care?! - should it read it.

.jpg

sparkle source = http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/TechReport-SSD-Endurance-Gets-Interesting-300TB
original source = http://techreport.com/review/25681/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-testing-data-retention-at-300tb

With regluar use it wil last logn enough that your SSD will be considered slow by the the time you need an upgrade. Don't use a consumer grade SSD in a server environment but as a boot drive or a games drive it shoudl last for years.

For 300TB data written, at 5GB per day, it'll take 160 years to reach 300TB. Most people definitely don't write 5GB per day to the ssd.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Impressive. 

I bought my 840 Pro around this time last year and I've only written 2.55tb so I've still got another century or two of writing to do to meet those numbers  :o

For 300TB data written, at 5GB per day, it'll take 160 years to reach 300TB. Most people definitely don't write 5GB per day to the ssd.

my torrent client begs to differ. :P

the man in black

Most people :P I'm not counting exceptions. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

2 year old SSD with little capacity and it still benches with nice performance. Just don't depend on the terrible WEI for SSD worth. Mine shows up as 7.9/7.8 with no partition and 5.9 with..makes perfect sense. Not really.

I do like how an SSD can be dropped and it's "whatever" while the wrong bump and your HDD is dead. Even if flash has a limited life cycle, I trust it more than the fragile platters of a standard hard drive.

I've never had an SSD and probably won't be getting one soon, but knowing they can last "long" makes me more considerate of buying an SSD.

hmmm good to know ... i can now sleep better at night if i get an ssd  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I've never had an SSD and probably won't be getting one soon, but knowing they can last "long" makes me more considerate of buying an SSD.

as a boot drive and game drive to speed up loading times they are awesome

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

as a boot drive and game drive to speed up loading times they are awesome

Only has an advantage for single player. For multi, you still have to wait for the other players. =p Does feel nice to open the bloated as hell Photoshop CS6 within 2 seconds, though.

why would you download more than 5gb a day to an ssd?

lemme rephrase that, why would you use ssd as storage?

i have a laptop as my main rig. also if ssd wants to become the default storage for computers it has to be able to handle it.

there are some laptops out there with only flash storage, an example is macbook air or thinkpad x1. (my next laptop, when mine dies)

the man in black

Only has an advantage for single player. For multi, you still have to wait for the other players. =p Does feel nice to open the bloated as hell Photoshop CS6 within 2 seconds, though.

yep, Photoshop so fast... but even in MP games its good to be the first one in the server specially if you get other guys with SSD's im playing before some people with HDD's can

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

A typical youtuber writes 5-15 gb of cached videos to boot disk per day.. the OS writes another 10 gigs or more (hybernation, file indexing. virtual memory etc). A lot of games (rancing most of them) are actually recording your gameplay for viewing later in-game (DIRT, FIFA). So realistically, a more than average user writes 30 GB of data to the ssd per day depending of ram size and other tweaks (hiberfil disabled for example.)  

240 GB SSDs are waay better at endurance than 120BG versions, It's not as simple as if the that large ssd resisted to 300 TB, my ssd wich has half of capacity can hold 150 TB. Nope! That's why first 30 GB or less SSDs where so expensive- they would've die so friggin fast if they'd have today's cheap TLC flash. And the lake of TRIM didn;t help at all!

Your 120 GB MLC/TLC SSD  @ 30 GB per day will last you 6-10 years wich is more than fine. However, I download alot of UBUNTUS via torrent client and that's why I still use a large, fast enough mechanical drive as secondary storage.

The funny thing is that WIndows 8.1 with office installed and all other small programs (VLC, Chrome etc) uses 21 GB of disk space..... Soooo.....umm.... cheapest 64 GB SSD+ multiple TB HDD is better deal than a single 500 GB SSD (for now).

EDIT:Laptops, I know...

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Indeed. I mainly use mine for Windows and a few single player games I play regularly.

yep, Photoshop so fast... but even in MP games its good to be the first one in the server specially if you get other guys with SSD's im playing before some people with HDD's can

Dunno. I play MP to play with other People. I don't really want to run around looking for the other guy. By the Time I find him the others are in the Game as well. Plus capping flags in DOM before anyone else is in the Game kind of takes away from the competitive side which is the reason I play MP. Compete with other human beings. If I want to relax i play SP or, sometimes, against bots.

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

capping points. sounds like a crappy modern shooter.. CS is the only decent FPS in the world