Does Ryzen work better with faster ram?

Should I get 16gb of ddr4 2400 or 8gb of ddr4 3000

Just now, Jim Liu said:

To be honest most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in ram speeds. I would just say what ever is cheapest.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Linus tested this, there is no performance gain above 2666mhz, unless you are using integrated graphics, which Ryzen doesn't have. Just go with the 2400mhz or get 2666

Actually, ryzen benefits from faster ram. The infinity fabric, or whatever BS name they gave it that connects the modules runs at the speed of the ram.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Yeah, there is a difference because of the architecture really relies on faster memory. You will get a better experience and not only in video editing and 3D modeling, but also in stuff like gaming.

I would seriously recommend 3000MHz over 2400MHz. The difference from going above 2800MHz-ish is not super big, but there usually is not a huge price gap: so I would say go for the faster memory.

I would also say: go for memory that is on the QVL of your motherboard, but I have heard of people who didn't go with that and still got the advertised speeds.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can see a 15% improvement if you get 3000mhz. 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 minutes ago, Jim Liu said:

ok thanks

Hi

It's ryzen and it use Infinity fabric which its speed depends on RAM speed so faster ram means faster CPU so go for  3000 or 3200

8 minutes ago, Jim Liu said:

A great deal of people in here do not know what they're talking about, or understand why Ryzen's architecture makes it different from Intel's (or even previous AMD CPU's) in terms of RAM speed performance scaling.

You should absolutely get the fastest RAM you can afford. and you should not have to choose between 16GB of slow RAM or 8GB of faster RAM. just buy 16GB of faster RAM, its only a couple dollars more lol.

2400MHz 16GB prices:https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402400&sort=price&Z=16384002,16384004

3000/32000MHz 16GB prices: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&Z=16384002,16384004&s=403000,403200

The 1st few people are telling outdated info. Ryzen architecture is different. For example a six core ryzen CPU is 3 2 core CPUs joined together. They're joined they're by something they've branded an infinity fabric. The infinity fabric scales with RAM speed and lets the separate dual cores talk to each other faster. Even on Intel, faster RAM gives better performance in CPU bound games. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

A great deal of people in here do not know what they're talking about, or understand why Ryzen's architecture makes it different from Intel's (or even previous AMD CPU's) in terms of RAM speed performance scaling.

You should absolutely get the fastest RAM you can afford. and you should not have to choose between 16GB of slow RAM or 8GB of faster RAM. just buy 16GB of faster RAM, its only a couple dollars more lol.

2400MHz 16GB prices:https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402400&sort=price&Z=16384002,16384004

3000/32000MHz 16GB prices: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&Z=16384002,16384004&s=403000,403200

Adding to the RAM speed, I've read that Ryzen motherboards don't perform well when all 4 DIMM slots are populated, this is from threads started back in March, to your knowledge is this still the case? I ask beacuse I have a Ryzen 1700 + 16GB RAM @3200mhz - but there's a bottleneck in my system and I think it's because I need more RAM.

I work with After Effects and Cinema 4D simultaneously and my CPU performance doesn't go above 35% when rendering but Memory goes up to 90-95%

Motion Designer and 3D Generalist

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

The 1st few people are telling outdated info. Ryzen architecture is different. For example a six core ryzen CPU is 3 2 core CPUs joined together. They're joined they're by something they've branded an infinity fabric. The infinity fabric scales with RAM speed and lets the separate dual cores talk to each other faster. Even on Intel, faster RAM gives better performance in CPU bound games. 

Yeh 

Exactly . 

Faster ram = Faster infinity fabric = faster CPU

since the difference is not huge between 2400 and 3200 , it really worth it to buy the fastest ram that you can use on your ryzen platform(3200 for ryzen) 

1 minute ago, Meet_Nomad said:

Adding to the RAM speed, I've read that Ryzen motherboards don't perform well when all 4 DIMM slots are populated, this is from threads started back in March, to your knowledge is this still the case? I ask beacuse I have a Ryzen 1700 + 16GB RAM @3200mhz - but there's a bottleneck in my system and I think it's because I need more RAM.

I work with After Effects and Cinema 4D simultaneously and my CPU performance doesn't go above 35% when rendering but Memory goes up to 90-95%

Are you sure you are rendering with your CPU instead of the GPU ?

faster ram = BETTER performance, but there comes a point when it becomes a cost to performance gain question, that occurs around the 3000Mhz line, like 2933 to 3200 might make a 1-2% improvement in FPS.

6 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

faster ram = BETTER performance, but there comes a point when it becomes a cost to performance gain question, that occurs around the 3000Mhz line, like 2933 to 3200 might make a 1-2% improvement in FPS.

But you are talking about Ryzen which benefits a lot from faster ram

6 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

But you are talking about Ryzen which benefits a lot from faster ram

I was specifically talking about those numbers as numbers seen ON RYZEN, go watch Paul's video

15 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Are you sure you are rendering with your CPU instead of the GPU ?

yes of course, you can't render out of After Effects via the GPU. I also did a couple of tests rendering straight from AE, rendering via Media Encoder, and rendering with Background renderer for AE.

they don't engage the CPU to a full potential, although rendering with BG renderer renders a bit faster the cpu load still doesn't go over 35% or so, I mean i have 8 cores/16 threads, i should be able to render pretty quick

My system specs: Ryzen 1700 - G. Skill Flare X 32GB - 2x EVGA 1070 SC - Windows 10 Home

18 minutes ago, Meet_Nomad said:

Sounds like RAM capacity limitations rather than RAM speed issues (unless you're monitoring your RAM bandwidth specifically, which most people don't monitor)

how much RAM do you currently have?

19 minutes ago, Meet_Nomad said:

Adding to the RAM speed, I've read that Ryzen motherboards don't perform well when all 4 DIMM slots are populated, this is from threads started back in March, to your knowledge is this still the case? I

That isn't really exactly true. There are some XMP/OC situations where having 1 DIMM per channel (2 DIMMs total) allows you to reach higher overclocks on your RAM (especially when a new platform rolls out this is often the case) but if you have 2 DIMM's running at 3000MHz or 4 DIMM's running at 3000MHz, it doesn't really make much difference (although a very slight advantage is to be had with 4 DIMM's in that case).

so, fewer DIMM's can sometimes allow you to overclock your RAM harder/further, but if you're after 3200MHz kits or slower I doubt it'll make much difference either way.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Sounds like RAM capacity limitations rather than RAM speed issues (unless you're monitoring your RAM bandwidth specifically, which most people don't monitor)

how much RAM do you currently have?

That isn't really exactly true. There are some XMP/OC situations where having 1 DIMM per channel (2 DIMMs total) allows you to reach higher overclocks on your RAM (especially when a new platform rolls out this is often the case) but if you have 2 DIMM's running at 3000MHz or 4 DIMM's running at 3000MHz, it doesn't really make much difference (although a very slight advantage is to be had with 4 DIMM's in that case).

so, fewer DIMM's can sometimes allow you to overclock your RAM harder/further, but if you're after 3200MHz kits or slower I doubt it'll make much difference either way.

I have 16GB of Ram running at 3200.

I read a post somewhere I just can't find it right now but they did all kinds of tests and they say populating all dimms creates conflicts and sometimes windows doesn't even post. I don't want to bout another two ram sticks and then don't be able to even use my computer because windows won't post.

I don't mind setting the ram speed to something lower like 2933 but being able to have 32gb of RAM i think would be more beneficial for me i just want to make sure i can populate all 4 dimms without issues.

The ram I got is G. Skill Flare X 3200MHz so technically I should be able to popualte all 4 dimms and run my memory at the advertised speed right?

8 minutes ago, Meet_Nomad said:

I read a post somewhere I just can't find it right now but they did all kinds of tests and they say populating all dimms creates conflicts and sometimes windows doesn't even post. I don't want to bout another two ram sticks and then don't be able to even use my computer because windows won't post.

I don't mind setting the ram speed to something lower like 2933 but being able to have 32gb of RAM i think would be more beneficial for me i just want to make sure i can populate all 4 dimms without issues.

The ram I got is G. Skill Flare X 3200MHz so technically I should be able to popualte all 4 dimms and run my memory at the advertised speed right?

I haven't heard anything about that !!! I did a search now and I couldn't find something "important" about it !!! I think you will be OKAY with 4 sticks 

I read a post somewhere I just can't find it right now but they did all kinds of tests and they say populating all dimms creates conflicts and sometimes windows doesn't even post.

Yes. that would be due to running too high a RAM OC with 4 DIMM's. early motherboards/BIOS had issues with RAM speeds, but they've been around long enough now that most of them are stable in most situations and configurations up to 3200MHz. Its not an AMD specific issue either. You run into the same issue on Intel platforms as well (although the threshold where it becomes an issue is much higher frequencies).

Should be able to, although it may vary from one motherboard to the next.

I don't mind setting the ram speed to something lower like 2933 but being able to have 32gb of RAM i think would be more beneficial for me i just want to make sure i can populate all 4 dimms without issues

You could always buy 3200MHz RAM if you want, and then manually downclock it to 2933MHz, or whatever speed lands stable for you, rather than buying a slow kit because you're worried about it going too far. You can also increase timings/voltages slightly to make its rated speed work a bit better if you're having issues. RAM overclocking is a complicated thing and I'm honestly not the most knowledgeable guy in the world for it... I usually just set to XMP settings and leave it alone, but some finer tuning and tweaking can sometimes be needed beyond that. There are plenty of guides online teching you how to do this sort of thing if you wish to learn more.

Also try to render something smaller and see how it goes . 

28 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You could always buy 3200MHz RAM if you want, and then manually downclock it to 2933MHz, or whatever speed lands stable for you, rather than buying a slow kit because you're worried about it going too far. You can also increase timings/voltages slightly to make its rated speed work a bit better if you're having issues. RAM overclocking is a complicated thing and I'm honestly not the most knowledgeable guy in the world for it... I usually just set to XMP settings and leave it alone, but some finer tuning and tweaking can sometimes be needed beyond that. There are plenty of guides online teching you how to do this sort of thing if you wish to learn more.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant, I want to buy the same exact ram that I have and possibly set all of them to a lower frequency if i have issues. Thanks for the info.

29 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

I haven't heard anything about that !!! I did a search now and I couldn't find something "important" about it !!! I think you will be OKAY with 4 sticks 

This is the review I was talking about, I don't remember at which point they talk about the 4 dimm issue, but they do, give it a quick read.

30 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Also try to render something smaller and see how it goes

same thing. Anything I render out of after effects gives me the same result. My cpu is not overclocked I want to buy an AIO first, right now i have the stock cooler, but still it feels like it should perform a lot better than that. Even rendering with Cinema 4D doesn't go near 100% CPU usage.

I have a ryzen 1700 system. I OCed my ram to as high as 2966 MHz. 

the system became quite unstable and the gains were negligible at Best. Maybe just a bad OC, but id say it wasn't really worth it.

I went back to 2400 stock speeds.