This iPad WILL Change EVERYTHING - Tech Walks Ep2

15 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well until Apple finds a way to get OSX running on that thing, to me, it's not going to be changing everything. Because in practice (and you see this in University campuses), it's going to do whatever iPads currently do which is... reading PDFs and consuming content.

Agreed. Apple need to work on this.

Not going to try and make an apples to oranges comparison here but.

Apple needs to follow or copy Microsoft's footsteps with one OS all devices thing.  I know, I know .... MS CShell project is not the best example here because of the time and failed promises on that end but with the concept that CShell is Apple can learn a lesson here and try to improve on it own ecosystem before they fall behind if MS gets off their collective behinds and produces on the promise made. 

The concept of one OS on all devices is a good concept and would improve work flow from one device to another.

But anyhow this off topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

its cool how owls can turn their heads 180 degrees.

Also a capybara IS a great big rodent

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The information density in that video is terrible, is it a vlog? I was still waiting for you to get to the point, but you were just going on and on about yourself, so I just gave up. Got more information from the comments than I did from the video. Please, keep the scripted content with the teleprompter. The fact that vlogging it very popular on youtube doesn´t mean it´s for everybody.

this is the most clickbaity title of all the clickbaity titles

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes tablets can replace a netbook not a laptop as netbooks and tablets have the same use case for 90% of those using them. The other 10% there is a greater use being utilized with the tablet and I could make that list but I wont as it is unnecessary. 

Debatable. 

Massive difference in well built and perfect. Apple hardware is far from the latter.

Netbook domt exist anymore. What do you think people primarily use laptops for. Sure there is a small segment that use laptops for gaming, programming and advanced programs like matlab, etc but Im not talking about them. Most people, around 50 percent just use their laptop for content consumption and web browsing and iPads are perfectly capable of doing those tasks with a little headroom to go into prosumer tasks like video, photo, music, artists, etc. in those regards iPads are far better than a laptop, and people dont know that yet.

Could you tell me whats wrong with ipads hardware now? As far as current tech goes, iPads have one of the best LCD display, if not the best, best stylus, pretty amazing speakers, lightning fast SSD, powerful chipset, best cameras (if you ever need them), bets battery life, etc

I have ipad Pro 9.7 inch and my iPad can replace my Univesity laptop for pretty much everything except programming. I also do alot of video editing for my media club and recently I started using LumaFusion instead of premiere pro and honestly editing in iPad is a much better experiance especially 4K. Similary there are alot of professional photo editing like affinity, music, etc

11 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

a 50 dollar android tablet sucks, a 200 dollar android tablet will do most the things the ipads do and have expandable storage and come in at 1/5th the price leaving you enough room to get a laptop or desktop that is BETTER then the ipad for the tasks that can't be done on the andriod tablet, don't be a fanboy, admit how overpriced these devices are and you will see how pointless they are.

Android tablets suck, because lack of software support, lack of apps (no professional apps, yes ipads have professional apps). Expandable storage isnt an issue since base model of iPad comes in 64GB NVMe storage which is more than enough for most people. Yeah, you can buy a shitty laptop at iPads price but the shitty laptop will have the worst built quality, bad TN screen, poor battery life, a weak processor, etc. while iPads have great apps (including some professional ones) from the app store with all the tablet advantages

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

You're ignoring so much of the market. Medium and high end Android tablets are fantastic, for a tablet running a mobile OS. Everything that the iPad "Pro" is supposed to be, the Wacom Cintiq Companion, Surface Pro, and Vaio Z Canvas do better, except battery life, which is the only saving grace of the iPad in this regard.

You still don’t understand who he iPad is for and what its use cases are. Its by no means a replacement for all people, but the majority of the market. You should try thinking out of the box. Those tablets you mentioned have a desktop OS cramped into a relatively low end hardware and lacks battery life, best stylus in the market and well rounded experiance. The advantages iPads have is the ecosystem optimization and believe it or not there actually is a fully featured photo editing (affinity) and mind blowing video editor (LumaFusion) which can edit 4K 60hz like a breeze along with a lot of professional note taking, artists, music, educational, etc

9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well until Apple finds a way to get OSX running on that thing, to me, it's not going to be changing everything. Because in practice (and you see this in University campuses), it's going to do whatever iPads currently do which is... reading PDFs and consuming content.

You can read my other replies above. Everybody seems to judge the iPad based on your experiance 5 years ago or something. iPad has matured alot and it’s quite frankly impressive how apple actually managed to make a product thats thinner than the iPhone to be more powerful than low end laptops you can get with same price. Cramming macos into iPad would be the worst experiance. Its funny how people forgot how bad windows was and is at this, trying to decide between touch or mouse interface. Adding MacOS would also get rid of optimization like battery life and app optimizations that enables powerful apps to run on an ARM device

12 hours ago, GabenJr said:

At this point, I'm calling that we'll be seeing a rush to 240Hz

I'm not as optimistic, but boy that'd be awesome! It's funny because most people (at least that I tested) do notice an increase on hz as they feel it to be "faster". Even my grandparents did notice the difference between 30hz and 144hz when scrolling facebook, and yet most people I see watching 4k cannot distinguish between 720p and 4k, and yet we are heading towards 8k...

So yeah, I do welcome a lot the increase in hz.

i realy like this "Tech Walks" . i dont care abour the camera shake
i didn't notice the shaking before lokking at youtube comments

that zoo looks realy nice !

11 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

its cool how owls can turn their heads 180 degrees.

Also a capybara IS a great big rodent

The owl needs to be taken on as permanent staff. Who wouldn't watch a tech video presented by an owl?

Damn I can't wait to buy the iPad Pro 12.9" for drawing/painting with its pencil. A normal Cintiq is too bulky and linked to one place. A Cintiq Companion (I think they are called MobileStudio now) is still too bulky, not to say expensive. The only downside of the iPad is not having support for desktop apps (In my case, zBrush or Substance Painter), but the portability, battery life and, hell, the best of everything, the 120hz support, made up my mind.

Playing beautiful games like Monument Valley in that screen must be awesome too.

I am not sure where you are going with this but you are making much more of my original comment than what was intended.

I will though address your concern.

12 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Netbook domt exist anymore. 

Yes I am aware that netbooks no longer are available. The tablet essentially destroyed and replaced that market. Tablets are a more economical use over the netbook anyhow. 

What do you think people primarily use laptops for. Sure there is a small segment that use laptops for gaming, programming and advanced programs like matlab, etc but Im not talking about them. Most people, around 50 percent just use their laptop for content consumption and web browsing...

Correct most people don't do more than surf the net or word process documents.

... iPads are perfectly capable of doing those tasks with a little headroom to go into prosumer tasks like video, photo, music, artists, etc. in those regards iPads are far better than a laptop, and people dont know that yet.

Hmm your giving way way to much credit to the iPad over laptops to say that.

Could you tell me whats wrong with ipads hardware now? As far as current tech goes, iPads have one of the best LCD display, if not the best, best stylus, pretty amazing speakers, lightning fast SSD, powerful chipset, best cameras (if you ever need them), bets battery life, etc

I never said anything was wrong with the iPad, if you was to re-read my original comment;

On 7/4/2017 at 3:22 PM, SansVarnic said:

but they are well built devices and work well for their purpose.

I have ipad Pro 9.7 inch and my iPad can replace my Univesity laptop for pretty much everything except programming. I also do alot of video editing for my media club and recently I started using LumaFusion instead of premiere pro and honestly editing in iPad is a much better experiance especially 4K. Similary there are alot of professional photo editing like affinity, music, etc

I glad you feel that way and have had the experience that lead up to your opinion but I would not hold a candle to the powerhouse of some mid to high end laptops or low to high end desktops to an iPad for the same task.

Personally have never had to edit a video and would not know the different performance gain/loss of editing software on an iPad and neither do I no longer use a tablet as I no longer have a use for one.

As I mentioned none of this has much to do with my original comments intent. I feel you are hurt by my comment and cant understand how I place the iPad in the category that it belongs in. The only beef I have with iPads are exactly as I described in my comment;

Apples iPad just all their other devices are over priced and over hyped

As for this entire exchange my original comment in it entirety sums this up quite well;

iPads or tablets in general are a limited used device to begin with. I can see some acceptable changes with the talking points @LinusTech mentioned but as for massive changes across the board hmm nope.

Tablets will always have their place and fill that particular need. That said Apples iPad just all their other devices are over priced and over hyped but they are well built devices and work well for their purpose.

Overall I agree with about 90% of Linus' assessment.

Full circle. ;) 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

-snip-

You can read my other replies above. Everybody seems to judge the iPad based on your experiance 5 years ago or something. iPad has matured alot and it’s quite frankly impressive how apple actually managed to make a product thats thinner than the iPhone to be more powerful than low end laptops you can get with same price. Cramming macos into iPad would be the worst experiance. Its funny how people forgot how bad windows was and is at this, trying to decide between touch or mouse interface. Adding MacOS would also get rid of optimization like battery life and app optimizations that enables powerful apps to run on an ARM device

I don't see how making it thinner and more powerful means it has matured when it is still only capable of doing the same things as it did, 5 years ago. Yes, it's impressive that in terms of performance, the regular iPad can outclass laptops of the same price. But performance means nothing if you don't have compelling software to utilize it. And when I say software, I don't mean the operating system, I mean actual applications that gives value to the product. Apple bangs a lot on how the iPad Pro can do word processing with Microsoft Word. Those ads are all over YouTube. But the elephant in the room is that their entry level iPad can do that just as well when paired with a Bluetooth keyboard. So is the iPad Pro really going to change the tech industry just by being able to do the same basic tasks but with better hardware? Not in my books. Until the iPad has a library of applications that can legitimately compete with their PC equivalents (like what the hell is Photoshop Express? Is it for hipsters to touch up their shots to post on Instagram? Certainty wasn't what I was thinking of when I searched "Photoshop"), and industry tools that can seamlessly go between PC and iOS, then we may have a product that can change the tech industry just like the first iPad. It's all fine and dandy that I can edit 4K video on the go or render 3D models, but to what extent am I able to seamlessly walk away from my PC and continue working on the iPad?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The owl needs to be taken on as permanent staff. Who wouldn't watch a tech video presented by an owl?

Hoo are you talking about?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 7/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, Daniel644 said:

had to only listen to the video after a while, the shaky cam was making me nauseous.

don't have to watch a video to know a device without expandable storage sucks.

grandma could use Android just as easily if that was the one she learned first, when it comes to adding apps and running apps there really isn't much difference.

In regard to how easy it is to install apps on Android vs. Apple, Apple being a smaller, more regulated market, I find it easier to find, or tell someone to find, and app on the App Store. I do appreciate how consolidated the Play Store is though, in terms of music and books and games all being in the same place. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

There is a bit of flame war going on. I actually use tablets at work and I use both platforms. I think I have used just about every major manufacturer. As a developer I prefer android because there are so many more options in terms of programming language and UI libraries. Its easier to publish in the Play store. If I want to test a new product I put it on Android first because I just cannot do it with apple's publishing process. At home for consuming content and web browsing I have a ipad mini 2 and a nvidia shield tablet and i prefer the ipad. Screen is better. The 4:3 ratio on a small tablet is better. I don't care about arguments for the user experience on either platform, they both do the job. I actually prefer samsung's tweaks to the UI over the rest but i find the ipad is a far more polished product.

On 5/07/2017 at 10:30 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Also, one more thing that iOS can do that alot of Android OEMs struggle with, timely over the air software updates. Unless you're using a Pixel, that Android tablet can take months or even a year to receive an update or sometimes no updates at all. 

this is why i will not buy another samsung device. Your ipad/iphone will last twice as long just in terms of security updates.

On 5/07/2017 at 0:24 PM, GabenJr said:

Whoa, what the heck, why has this been an Apple hate-fest from the get-go?

its always price. I think Apple has done a fantastic job by developing hardware, software, and an online store. Samsung does make similar hardware at a similarly high price, but they cannot get traction on their app store and they cannot deliver the same level of service in software updates. I don't know what there is to hate about that. Must be tall-poppy syndrome

On 5/07/2017 at 11:44 AM, Daniel644 said:

maybe you should just admit how Apple OVERCHARGES for a product, where have I been disrespectful to the folks that built it? I haven't said one bad word about the Chinese workers being worked to death (12 hour shifts 6 days a week) for $400 USD a month plus room and board, my opinion on a product is not a comment against the people that build it, Apple simply overcharges for there products.

do you think android products are made in better conditions? Your argument should really be directed at politicians (e.g. bill clinton) who have broken down industry protections in their "free" trade agreements; this has allowed developing countries to undercut wages and safety regs. At any point in the supply chain, from mining to final product, there are examples of exploitation. It is not just a chinese issue, it is an African, Asain, European, and American issue. Anytime an employer breaks employment law I call them a slave holder, there are slave holders in the west. e.g. there was a factory in Italy full of illegal immigrants that was busted not too long ago. AFAIK there is only one company that is progressing on this issue and that is Fairphone. If you really cared about ethics, follow this company. They are not perfect, they will screw up, but they are showing leadership in the effort for transparency in the entire production chain.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

do you think android products are made in better conditions? Your argument should really be directed at politicians (e.g. bill clinton) who have broken down industry protections in their "free" trade agreements; this has allowed developing countries to undercut wages and safety regs. At any point in the supply chain, from mining to final product, there are examples of exploitation. It is not just a chinese issue, it is an African, Asain, European, and American issue. Anytime an employer breaks employment law I call them a slave holder, there are slave holders in the west. e.g. there was a factory in Italy full of illegal immigrants that was busted not too long ago. AFAIK there is only one company that is progressing on this issue and that is Fairphone. If you really cared about ethics, follow this company. They are not perfect, they will screw up, but they are showing leadership in the effort for transparency in the entire production chain.

NO and I never claimed they where, my argument had NOTHING to do with working conditions, I only mentioned them because the guy I quoted implied I was insulting the workers making the product because I didn't like the product, it was never meant to imply other companies didn't have similar practices, it was nothing more then pointing out that Apple seriously overcharges given the capacity of the product.

5 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

this is why i will not buy another samsung device. Your ipad/iphone will last twice as long just in terms of security updates.

Personally, I'm fine with an Android phone but not with an Android tablet ever since the Galaxy Note 10.1 left a bad taste in my mouth. I can understand if it's OnePlus or ZTE or Huawei who will delay software updates but Samsung? I find it unacceptable. Samsung is a big company and has tons of resources to rapidly deploy software updates but even for the high end Galaxy phones, most of them only receives one or two software updates and that's it. Same goes for LG. This is probably the reason why iPhones and iPads have higher resale values in comparison to their Android counterparts [compare resale values of an iPhone 6s+ and a Galxy S7 Edge].

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Snip

There are powerful apps for iOS, you just dont know them yet. 

Affinity is a full featured photo editing app

LumaFusion is a very powerful video editing app for iPad and my 9.7” pro can handle 4K 60hz

Pacemaker is a pretty good Music mixing app

Notability is like the hands down best note taking app

These are apps I have used before and impressed me, but the iPad also have the advantage of thinnes, battery, portability, weight, build quality and a accurate stylus support so you can do sketches on it if youre into it

With AR apps coming this fall, the iPad will have even more potential than a regular similar priced laptop

Personally the area I find lacking on iPad is programming, but other than that there are powerful apps that exists (atleast prosumer grade)

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I glad you feel that way and have had the experience that lead up to your opinion but I would not hold a candle to the powerhouse of some mid to high end laptops or low to high end desktops to an iPad for the same task.

Personally have never had to edit a video and would not know the different performance gain/loss of editing software on an iPad and neither do I no longer use a tablet as I no longer have a use for one.

Never said mid to high end laptop. The laptop you can usually get at iPads price are those low end cheap ones with U or Y processors, and those processors can be thrashed by my iPads A9X chip in 4K editing atleast

As I mentioned none of this has much to do with my original comments intent. I feel you are hurt by my comment and cant understand how I place the iPad in the category that it belongs in. The only beef I have with iPads are exactly as I described in my comment;

Im not hurt. I’m just conversing here

14 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

There are powerful apps for iOS, you just dont know them yet. 

I'm aware. I may use WM but I know the playing field well enough.

Never said mid to high end laptop. The laptop you can usually get at iPads price are those low end cheap ones with U or Y processors, and those processors can be thrashed by my iPads A9X chip in 4K editing atleast

When comparing other tablets to iPads its apples to oranges anyhow.

Im not hurt. I’m just conversing here

:) 

Anyhow.. we have pretty much derailed this thread so ... back on topic?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER