Windows 10 Support Staff Downloading .zip files??

ShadowDeity
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Microsoft does have chat and phone support and they do use remote desktop-ing.

Now, I want to say that they use Microsoft Windows 10 Quick Assist feature and Remote Assistance on older versions of Windows, but this is Microsoft we are talking about! So they use LogMeIn Rescue Enterprise (last I check, I don't know if they continue to use this). I mean, why would a company like Microsoft use their own tool that a nice team put a lot of work and effort, and lots of money was spent on it. What is this silly thinking. Big corp problems. The one I work for, uses tools that does many thing you can already in Windows, which I already worked with in the past. Go figure.

To be safe, it is best to use the help app in Windows 10 to get chat. Like this you know you won't fall into a false website.

I am surprise that the guy uses Nirsoft ProductKey.. I wonder if they hire interns for managing support, and as a result is not using the proper internal tools. But, Nirsoft ProductKey is a legit tool. It looks like shit because, if I am not mistaken, it is done in Visual Basic, at least sure looks like. Now, the mistake from the guy on Microsoft support, is that this tool doesn't fully support Windows 10. On some license type it doesn't work.

Hey guys,

So earlier today I was on the live chat with Windows support to try and fix my pc, which was not activating after a fresh OS install. (This was not any scam, I initiated it through Microsoft's website)

So, because I'm paranoid about these things, when he took control of my PC I was watching very carefully what he was doing.  He was trying to see if I could activate it through my Microsoft account at first.  Then, he went into Run, into sysdm.cpl, and changed it so that Remote Assistance was enabled.

But what really sketched me out was at one point, he downloaded a 'ProduKey' file from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I still have the .zip now. 

Which to me, this doesn't seem right....at all. 

Should I be doing something to 'cleanse' my computer?  Or am I just completely paranoid? 

Someone... comfort me.  Lol

EDIT: Before you ask: No, I'm not dumb.  I didn't fall for some scammer that tried to get ahold of my computer.  This was actually the windows support live chat. 

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

That's strange. I thought they usually used some type of 3rd party software rather than relying on the standard internals that come with Windows. 

3 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

That's strange. I thought they usually used some type of 3rd party software rather than relying on the standard internals that come with Windows. 

For connecting and taking control of my PC? Yeah, they did. They used LogMeIn Rescue. Which made me wonder why he did that in the first place. 

He also created a restore point, which I thought made sense. 

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

3 hours ago, ShadowDeity said:

For connecting and taking control of my PC? Yeah, they did. They used LogMeIn Rescue. Which made me wonder why he did that in the first place. 

He also created a restore point, which I thought made sense. 

I've never heard of live chat needing to download "product key files" 

maybe @GoodBytes could help explain that bit? 

ProduKey and LogMeIn are safe. Produkey beats the hell out of trying to enter CMD and using commands to grab licenses. LogMeIn is a popular remote access tool. Probably easier to use LogMeIn rather than having a user enable remote desktop. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

ProduKey and LogMeIn are safe. Produkey beats the hell out of trying to enter CMD and using commands to grab licenses. LogMeIn is a popular remote access tool. Probably easier to use LogMeIn rather than having a user enable remote desktop. 

I know that LogMeIn is safe, years and years ago I used to run Minecraft servers on LogMeIn Hamachi......the good old days xD

But I'm just not sure about ProduKey and how legitimate it is.  He ended up giving up, telling me I had to buy another copy.  I talked to a guy on the phone after that who spent quite a few minutes using CMD to get me a license.  But I know how he did it.  It was legitimately through Microsoft.

Just don't know if I trust ProduKey.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Looks normal to me.

Just delete it and run windows defender if you're scared.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, ShadowDeity said:

Completely safe. Used it on many old machines. It checks the registry for any Microsoft keys.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

27 minutes ago, ShadowDeity said:

I know that LogMeIn is safe, years and years ago I used to run Minecraft servers on LogMeIn Hamachi......the good old days xD

But I'm just not sure about ProduKey and how legitimate it is.  He ended up giving up, telling me I had to buy another copy.  I talked to a guy on the phone after that who spent quite a few minutes using CMD to get me a license.  But I know how he did it.  It was legitimately through Microsoft.

23 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Completely safe. Used it on many old machines. It checks the registry for any Microsoft keys.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Anything from Nirsoft is safe.

As a technician with 10+ years of experience, I can 100% confirm that anything NirSoft makes is completely safe, as long as it's not bundled with crapware, of course. He's been making utilities for Windows since the days of Windows 98 and MSN messenger. His stuff can get flagged, of course, since it reveals things like product keys, passwords, and things in Microsoft's "protected" storage area, but that's normal. (So much for "protected" storage...)

Me and LogMeIn don't get along very well on the other hand ... it's safe when used legitimately (scammers can use it too, so just be sure it's someone you trust who's telling you to use it) but when they had a security breach back in 2012/2013 I started to receive a shit ton of spam emails that still regularly come to my main email to this day. Now, I realize that no service is 100% safe, but the way they replied to my security concerned email was a complete joke that made me never want to use or recommend their products again.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Now, I want to say that they use Microsoft Windows 10 Quick Assist feature and Remote Assistance on older versions of Windows, but this is Microsoft we are talking about! So they use LogMeIn Rescue Enterprise (last I check, I don't know if they continue to use this). I mean, why would a company like Microsoft use their own tool that a nice team put a lot of work and effort, and lots of money was spent on it. What is this silly thinking. Big corp problems. The one I work for, uses tools that does many thing you can already in Windows, which I already worked with in the past. Go figure.

To be safe, it is best to use the help app in Windows 10 to get chat. Like this you know you won't fall into a false website.

I am surprise that the guy uses Nirsoft ProductKey.. I wonder if they hire interns for managing support, and as a result is not using the proper internal tools. But, Nirsoft ProductKey is a legit tool. It looks like shit because, if I am not mistaken, it is done in Visual Basic, at least sure looks like. Now, the mistake from the guy on Microsoft support, is that this tool doesn't fully support Windows 10. On some license type it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Great! Good to know. I'm telling you from my experience today, they still use LogMeIn Rescue.  I thought it was crazy considering they have their own tool built in... But alas, what can we do. 

Thanks everybody. 

// Floatplane Pilot //

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Now, I want to say that they use Microsoft Windows 10 Quick Assist feature and Remote Assistance on older versions of Windows, but this is Microsoft we are talking about! So they use LogMeIn Rescue Enterprise (last I check, I don't know if they continue to use this). I mean, why would a company like Microsoft use their own tool that a nice team put a lot of work and effort, and lots of money was spent on it. What is this silly thinking. Big corp problems. 

Do you mean why wouldn't they? I don't see a source stating that Microsoft is a parent company to LogMeIn. 

I don't exactly recommend that for security purposes. 

So they should have used an internal tool for that step? Do you know by chance what option or options would have been correct?