Watch out buying K processors overclocking = void warranty :(

Hello , well this just costed me 1000$ canadian pesos more or less... my 6850k died. after overclocking ram to 2800mhz from 2400 @1.35 volt asus qcode 00 and dimm red light., guessing IMC on cpu deaded ...

removed cpu tested in another motherboard at work, yup super dead ... :(

start the rma process . of course i don't lie when they ask as you overclocked that cpu good sir?> well yes i did its a k y u ask !

well here is the sweet reply.

Hello Carl, 

Thank you for the information provided.

In this case since you have performed all the required troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue, the next steps is to replace the processor, however, since you have over clocked the processor it automatically voids the warranty, unless you have acquired the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan, that was created to cover any processor failures caused by operating the processor outside of Intel’s published specifications (Over clocking). You can find more information in the following link: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

never knew this as i never had a intel processor die on me ... hell right now im back on my old x5660 @ 4200mhz ... been ruining for a strait 8 year or something .... i just bough that bs of tuning plan....  hope they replace that cpu.  took me a year to get the cash for that cpu. :(

hope my little story help anybody ... i mean if you rma a K cpu ... you must LIE to intel.  my mother thought me otherwise but life ... it seem's is different.

For many of us, that isn't news. But Intel doesn't actually care that much, and they've RMA'd one of @done12many2's (pretty sure it was him). chips because he wanted to get a better clocker. They'll only really care if you delid, and try to return it without resealing the chip so that it looks like it was never delided.

For some of the more serious overclockers, a general rule of thumb is that if you're gunning for some more extreme overclocks, make sure you can afford to replace the CPU if it gets killed at any time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Since you're new to the neighborhood, I'd suggest keeping overclocks on the "down-low", i.e. staying in "the closet" and stating that you purchased for the higher stock and boost speed rather than having to stay at a lower clock.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For many of us, that isn't news. But Intel doesn't actually care that much, and they've RMA'd one of @done12many2's (pretty sure it was him). chips because he wanted to get a better clocker. They'll only really care if you delid, and try to return it without resealing the chip so that it looks like it was never delided.

For some of the more serious overclockers, a general rule of thumb is that if you're gunning for some more extreme overclocks, make sure you can afford to replace the CPU if it gets killed at any time.

Of course my first and second 5960x were never overclocked because that violates your warranty.  xD

Funny thing is, they actually didn't even ask me this time around.  Best $25 bucks I've ever spent on a RMA.  Included cross shipping with me receiving the new CPU the next day and they provided a return shipping label for the old one.  

Just now, Drak3 said:

that fine, but i am no crazy overclocker and the reason i buy K processor was thinking i could overclock . never knew it would void the warranty i dont delid just access XTU and  change the multiplier and voltage... never went over 1.36v on cpu and i am overcooling that thing with 3x120 radiator in total

2016-06-16 21.55.09.jpg

Just now, sy5tem said:

that fine, but i am no crazy overclocker and the reason i buy K processor was thinking i could overclock . never knew it would void the warranty i dont delid just access XTU and  change the multiplier and voltage... never went over 1.36v on cpu and i am overcooling that thing with 3x120 radiator in total

2016-06-16 21.55.09.jpg

you should always read the warranty terms before rma

any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications, including where clock frequencies or voltages have been altered, or where the original identification markings have been removed, altered or obliterated.  Intel assumes no responsibility that the Product, including if used with altered clock frequencies or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose and will not cause any damage or injury

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/Limited_Warranty_8.5x11_for_Web_English.pdf

Just now, done12many2 said:

Of course my first and second 5960x were never overclocked because that violates your warranty.

For me, not a concern. I'll keep the dead chip as a trophy.

1 minute ago, sy5tem said:

i am no crazy overclocker and the reason i buy K processor was thinking i could overclock

You can, it just voids the stock warranty. Intel does offer an additional warranty for those that buy K/X SKUs to overclock, which isn't as many people as everyone thinks.

1 minute ago, verytiny said:

you should always read the warranty terms before rma

FTFY

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, verytiny said:

but then why do they release unlocked cpu? i mean wow. nobody read these thing, also the little tiny book that come with the cpu ... so small i can't read that it hurt my eye!. 

hope i would have learned this with a less expensive cpu :(

6 minutes ago, sy5tem said:

You'll need to wait 30 days after purchasing the Intel PTPP to file a claim.  Hopefully you didn't give them your serial number when you attempted to file a claim under your standard warranty as they may still deny your claim under PTPP if they recorded the fact that you purchased it after you attempted to make your original claim. 

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For me, not a concern. I'll keep the dead chip as a trophy.

Truthfully though, I beat the piss out of my original 5960x.  The new one is so perfect that I'm taking it much easier on it. 

but then why do they release unlocked cpu?

Some people are willing to take the risk. Especially if they've killed enough chips to know what to do and not to do, or if they've followed the advice of someone(s) who has.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, sy5tem said:

but then why do they release unlocked cpu? i mean wow. nobody read these thing, also the little tiny book that come with the cpu ... so small i can't read that it hurt my eye!. 

hope i would have learned this with a less expensive cpu :(

because intel is a bunch of big meanie bullies who like to take advantage of little boys and girls

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Truthfully though, I beat the piss out of my original 5960x.  The new one is so perfect that I'm taking it much easier on it.

If I murder the shit out of Project Enza's 5930K, it's going on the wood wall part of my setup, along with a Phenom XII and Turion 64, if I find those old dogs. Maybe I'll get a 7980XE, name it tom, and hang it on the wall without ever putting it into a system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, verytiny said:

because intel is a bunch of big meanie bullies who like to take advantage of little boys and girls

They really are very slack on their return policy.  You just have to know what to say to them.  Once they receive a returned chip, they don't even bother with testing them.  

Just don't ever say that it was overclocked.  That's the only catch.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If I murder the shit out of Porject Enza's 5930K, it's going on the wood wall part of my setup, along with a Phenom XII and Turion 64, if I find those old dogs. Maybe I'll get a 7980XE, name it tom, and hang it on the wall without ever putting it into a system.

Talk about driving a value conscious man insane, he'd run his car into a tree knowing that.  xD

This isn't news. Most people know this.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Talk about driving a value conscious man insane, he run his car into a tree knowing that.

So I probably shouldn't make a wall of 7980XE's if I win the lottery. Got it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

This isn't news. Most people know this.

well its new to me , been working in computer stores for the last 10 years just never had a k overclocked cpu die before that's all posting this in thje hope i can save fomr $$$ from someone else pocket

well its new to me , been working in computer stores for the last 10 years just never had a k overclocked cpu die before that's all posting this in thje hope i can save fomr $$$ from someone else pocket

Yeah, thanks for trying to look out for the next guy man.  :D

Like I said, in the future don't disclose any overclocking and always say the CPU won't boot or load Windows or they'll make you do some testing before approving the RMA.  

another point ..

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

look at this page ... does that is a bit misleading ? i mean if i have the $$$$ to go to court.,.. even intel say yeah overclock for more pawa! .....

That little 1 2 at the end of the first paragraph are enough to cover their butts imo.  

Sorry you're having troubles!  Try to submit after you've waited the 30 days from buying the protection plan that done12many2 pointed out, hopefully you'll get lucky and they'll accept it.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

10 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

That little 1 2 at the end of the first paragraph are enough to cover their butts imo.  

Sorry you're having troubles!  Try to submit after you've waited the 30 days from buying the protection plan that done12many2 pointed out, hopefully you'll get lucky and they'll accept it.

yeah will have to wait and see.. thanks

well i had already given intel my Performance Tuning Protection Plan and they now have started rma process. cpu is in the mail right now. if all goes well i should receive a new 6850k and if i understand correctly this time (which i might now, im too dumb) the replacement still carry the remaining 3 years warranty left but not thePerformance Tuning Protection Plan. so i can't overclock the new cpu , if i do and it dies its finito. 

on the other hand if i do now overclock it "wink" wink" and it dies i am fine? right anybody care to enlighten me kindly please if am wrong or right thanks!