Good Coolers for a Ryzen 5 1600 mATX Build

Go to solution Solved by Phate.exe,

@Meritorius, the stock cooler should do just fine.  Other than that, you won't need anything more intense than a Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 unless you really want it.

1 hour ago, Elerek said:

A better cooler on the cpu won't help keep the room cool. The cpu will dump the same amount of heat into the room regardless (barring thermal throttling of course).

This is correct.  Lower CPU temps just mean the cooler is more efficiently dissipating heat from the CPU.

If I was really concerned about making a room uncomfortably warm, I'd water cool the system and put a big radiator in the window with fans blowing outward.

You're dealing with the same thermal load no matter what you do, it's just a question of wanting to dump that heat inside your case/room, or move it outside somewhere.

I'm recently working on a build for a friend, who wants to get a good 1080p-1440p gaming setup including a RX 580 8gb, a ryzen 5 1600 and 8 gb of ddr4 ram (he will actually buy 8 more gigs when the prices go down), a 500gb ssd and a 2tb hdd. the mobo will be a MSI B350M Bazooka, the PSU will be a be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM ATX 500W and for the case I'll probably go for the Thermaltake Versa 15 (Windowed). The problem is, I don't know wich air- or watercooling solution it takes, to bring this chip to about 3,8 ghz and usually am4 is not listed as a supported socket. Can you help me out? 

(The ram in the list is just a playeholder, idk what i will go for now, don't worry, i know that the drives are missing)

you can also make suggestions for other parts :)

larrybuild.PNG

The stock cooler is able to get it to 3.8Ghz.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

The stock cooler is able to get it to 3.8Ghz.

Cool! at wich temperatures?

Just now, Meritorius said:

Cool! at wich temperatures?

I haven't ran any benchmarks on it, but running folding@home at max (100% cpu usage over all 12 threads) for literally over 24 hours straight, it only ever reached a max of 74C.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I haven't ran any benchmarks on it, but running folding@home at max (100% cpu usage over all 12 threads) for literally over 24 hours straight, it only ever reached a max of 74C.

Thanks for the info, but do you maybe know a cooler, that can get it a bit lower? (My friend plays like 24/7 when he's not at school and his room is not that big...)

10 minutes ago, Meritorius said:

Thanks for the info, but do you maybe know a cooler, that can get it a bit lower? (My friend plays like 24/7 when he's not at school and his room is not that big...)

A better cooler on the cpu won't help keep the room cool. The cpu will dump the same amount of heat into the room regardless (barring thermal throttling of course).

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

yeah get some metal industrial fans at auto stores you can usually get some for under 60 that really can move air withought to much background noise 

11 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

yeah get some metal industrial fans at auto stores you can usually get some for under 60 that really can move air withought to much background noise 

noise ins't the problem... ._.

13 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Wait! You can have a GIF as a Profile Photo??? Cool!

2 minutes ago, Meritorius said:

noise ins't the problem... ._.

people say that but then the enter my room that has 48 fans atm and they change their mind some fans can be pretty loud 

i wasnt joking its what i use to move air around my room since mine is also small so i don't get brain damage from heatstroke from all my computers. i had some pet shrimp die due to the heat once when some of my fans died while i was gone

Just now, Alaradia said:

people say that but then the enter my room that has 48 fans atm and they change their mind some fans can be pretty loud 

I wouldn't judge you, it's summer... xD 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

i wasnt joking its what i use to move air around my room since mine is also small so i don't get brain damage from heatstroke from all my computers. i had some pet shrimp die due to the heat once when some of my fans died while i was gone

Wow, wtf?

18 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

I just don't think they'll cool the CPU. Used for the room, it makes sence

Just now, Meritorius said:

Wow, wtf?

yeah i currently have about 4 servers and then my desktop in my room which is 9x9 feet so cooling is quite important other wise it gets up to 40-50c either way were a bit off topic 

you're pretty much stuck with using a big cooler you could try a AIO water cooler which would be a bit smaller but there also alot more expensive 

1 minute ago, Meritorius said:

I just don't think they'll cool the CPU. Used for the room, it makes sence

if the room gets hot the cpu gets hot so if you keep the air moving and or send it outside or dispersing else where the hot air won't just go back into your case 

@Meritorius, the stock cooler should do just fine.  Other than that, you won't need anything more intense than a Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 unless you really want it.

1 hour ago, Elerek said:

This is correct.  Lower CPU temps just mean the cooler is more efficiently dissipating heat from the CPU.

If I was really concerned about making a room uncomfortably warm, I'd water cool the system and put a big radiator in the window with fans blowing outward.

You're dealing with the same thermal load no matter what you do, it's just a question of wanting to dump that heat inside your case/room, or move it outside somewhere.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

20 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

don't wanna roast it anyways

20 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

Cooler Master Hyper 212

Does this come with the correct mounting system for am4? 

1 hour ago, Meritorius said:

Does this come with the correct mounting system for am4? 

Right now it probably needs an additional bracket from Cooler Master.  The Cryorig H7 (better cooler than the CM 212) does as well, which is what I have on my 1600X.  Anything that uses it's own backplate to mount is going to require a bracket of some sort.

As far as I know though, any cooler that uses a stock-style clip mechanism that AMD has been using since socket 939 should work on AM4.  

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.