GPU prices sky-rocketing

Lsat0902

In the past 1-1/2 months GPU Prices have jumped 150-200$....Did I miss something? Did the Nvidia factory burn down? 

If you can Enlighten me as to why I'm buying a 1070 ROG Strix for the price of a 1080 TI earlier this year....please do 

Miners are buying all of the midrange GPUs, and are now beginning to pick up GTX 1070s as the midrange cards are getting too expensive for them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Miners. They're out of RX cards, so now they're getting 1070s and 1060s. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Suika said:

Miners are buying all of the midrange GPUs.

Thankfully, I saw on the NCIX channel that Asus is releasing a mining specific card. If they can make millions of them, there may be enough to alleviate the stress on gaming cards. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Coin mining aka dump abused cards on eBay in ~3 months because it failed fad is back. Because RX 580s are being sold out, Nvidia cards are now subject to this inflation.

1070s are also low stock from people that were selling their used RX cards for the price of a 1070 and getting a free upgrade.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Thankfully, I saw on the NCIX channel that Asus is releasing a mining specific card. If they can make millions of them, there may be enough to alleviate the stress on gaming cards. 

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that they'll work. The problem is that an RX 580 can be resold just below MSRP and there's no way to prove the card lived a life of mining, so for miners, the ability to resell is still attractive.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

BTW, don't buy a card now. if you can wait a bit more, prices should go down, or at least stabilize.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that they'll work. The problem is that an RX 580 can be resold just below MSRP and there's no way to prove the card lived a life of mining, so for miners, the ability to resell is still attractive.

Pure mining card seems like a horrible investment. When whatever the flavor of the month altcoin inevitably crashes, you're stuck with a card you wouldn't be able to do much with. At least with consumer GPUs you can still use them for their intended purpose of rendering/gaming.

Just now, Lsat0902 said:

What is mining?

The idea of stressing your graphics card and power bill in order to make money at the push of a button. Yes, it seems absurd when it's put bluntly.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

The idea of stressing your graphics card and power bill in order to make money at the push of a button. Yes, it seems absurd when it's put bluntly.

Yes it does, they raise the rower billl.....to make money?? could you explain a bit more

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Well, it works...

That's an F in the profile pic

22 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, but whatever mining card Asus is gonna release. The chip from the card is still come from either GloFo or TSMC. The rate miners clearing all the GPUs now. I doubt the two foundries can keep up with the production. The more the chips are made for mining specific cards, the less that will go to regular graphic cards. I bet the shortage will continue until the mining boom dies down.

6 minutes ago, Lsat0902 said:

What is mining?

Simply put, you do mathematical calculations with your pc and get rewarded with cryptocurrencies.

https://www.lifewire.com/cryptocoin-mining-for-beginners-2483064

It's most effective on GPUs, and right now Ethereum (a type of cryptocurrency) is super popular because it's kinda profitable.

However, it really hits your GPU when it comes to longevity and whatnot.

A lot of people are buying amd Polaris based GPUs because of mining right now, which makes them nearly impossible to find without paying 50% more than you should. In fact, they're so hard to find some people are moving to using Nvidia GPUs for mining, which, albeit being a bit worse for it, are still profitable.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Lsat0902 said:

Yes it does, they raise the rower billl.....to make money?? could you explain a bit more

Think of it running a benchmark 24/7. You solve complex calculations and get rewarded for it. The more raw GPU power you have, the better. If your electricity is little cost to you, the reminder earned is profit. 

Overtime, calculations become nore difficult and you gradually earn less/need more GPU power.

What ends up happening is that it becomes too difficult to be profitable anymore and people dump all these abused cards on eBay at a loss. The point of even doing all of that is to (hopefully) be able to acquire Bitcoin and convert into your local currency. The risk and the effort required never seemed worth it to me. Plus it Fs up the supply and causes inflation.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:
2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Think of it running a benchmark 24/7. You solve complex calculations and get rewarded for it. The more raw GPU power you have, the better. If your electricity is little cost to you, the reminder earned is profit. 

Overtime, calculations become nore difficult and you gradually earn less/need more GPU power.

What ends up happening is that it becomes too difficult to be profitable anymore and people dump all these abused cards on eBay at a loss. The point of even doing all of that is to (hopefully) be able to acquire Bitcoin and convert into your local currency. The risk and the effort required never seemed worth it to me. Plus it Fs up the supply and causes inflation.

I see, thanks

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Pure mining card seems like a horrible investment. When whatever the flavor of the month altcoin inevitably crashes, you're stuck with a card you wouldn't be able to do much with. At least with consumer GPUs you can still use them for their intended purpose of rendering/gaming.

They can likely still be used for things like video rendering so there will still be some use for them.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.