Gaming Image Quality Showdown - PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PC

LinusTech

Hey linus why dont you upload your videos in like 1440p i know youtube supports it now (just a suggestion)

Because they are captured at 1080p and upsampling introduces some visual anomalies.

Not sure what you're talking about. Our PCs both ran at 1080p.

I mean the YouTube footage itself is 720p, not 1080p. Any specific reason for that?

How come linus is using a 7770 with the A8-5800k? Wouldn't that disable the integrated graphics on the APU since the 7770 isn't listed as compatible for hybrid-crossfire?

Praise Duarte!

I would say after watching the video, that the PS4 might be the best bang for the buck in the round up. Now that's hard for me to swallow as I am a PC person/gamer only and spend gobs of money on my hardware, but if I were a person that just wanted something and not worry about upgrading for a long period of time and I was content with that, then PS4 has my pick, Linus and the Tech community :).

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

How come linus is using a 7770 with the A8-5800k? Wouldn't that disable the integrated graphics on the APU since the 7770 isn't listed as compatible for hybrid-crossfire?

Just because you're running an APU doesn't mean you're using it's onboard graphics.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

sorta surprised you didn't mention the steambox?

I must admit this video is making me think more about getting a ps4 for the christmas break but i think i gotta read into the "sony being sony thing more"

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Just because you're running an APU doesn't mean you're using it's onboard graphics.

'Kay. In that case wouldn't he want to get a similarly priced CPU that has higher IPC? (example: phenom 2 x4)

Praise Duarte!

I would say after watching the video, that the PS4 might be the best bang for the buck in the round up. Now that's hard for me to swallow as I am a PC person/gamer only and spend gobs of money on my hardware, but if I were a person that just wanted something and not worry about upgrading for a long period of time and I was content with that, then PS4 has my pick, Linus and the Tech community :).

This was actually my conclusion too... PS4 looks pretty darn compelling.

I cried a little when I saw the 780 dip to below 60 frames but I do assume that the graphics are maxed to the balls.

Netflix Laptop: Asus G73JH-BST7 Specs: i7-740QM @1.73 but turbo up to 3.00+!, 6GB DDR3, 1GB HD5870, 640GB HD, 16x9

Gaming PC: Specs: i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 16 GB DDR3 G.Skill @1600, 2 2GB MSI 7850's @ 1050/1300, 700w OCZ PSU, Corsair 400R case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. 2 16x9 Acer monitor (Don't hate)

Well, the PS4 had me won after seeing the boot times on the XBone.... Unfortunately though, I was messing around with rope today and tore up the insides of my fingers. Looks like I can't hold a controller...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

'Kay. In that case wouldn't he want to get a similarly priced CPU that has higher IPC? (example: phenom 2 x4)

5800k overclocks better, can't find phenom ii in retail stores, and their performance is neck-and-neck (at stock). That's my guess.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/675?vs=102

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Could you provide a link to the HDMI splitter? It's hard to tell which are HDCP compliant (?) for many of them.

Because they are captured at 1080p and upsampling introduces some visual anomalies.

ahhh righto :)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

This was actually my conclusion too... PS4 looks pretty darn compelling.

except for the cost of games!

Hail Gaben!

Praise Duarte!

I personally just prefer the pc (as in traditonal desktop) I can do way more on it and I can do what I want with the hardware. If the console werent so locked in and propritory then I would be more interested in both the playstation four and the xbox one. but as it stand both sony and Microsoft have silly rules such as "no uploading video game footage to youtube" or  "you can not replace the  internal 500gb hard drive ",  I just dont want to deal with that crap, let me use that 400-500 dollar hardware that I bought the way I want to use it. 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

perfect work Quality Showdown Linus  :wub: 

i love the PS4 video and the A8 5600k video (great build at the perfect price)

360 and XBO well... i stay with PS4 and PC lol

it looks PS4 have a good price/performance than a entry level gaming PC

but that's because the game isn't that optimized on PC ("lazy developer"), this is why Mantle is a Big Thing.

and also the console exclusive title (for me, it's MGS series and other "Made in Japan" title) really a plus point,

maybe Mantle could change it by being easier to port to PC.

and also why AMD A8 5600K APU 

with a dedicated GPU the cheaper AMD Athlon X4 750K is better 

Hello

Does a Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked at 4500MHz

And two reference gtx670 from msi at 1124MHz

With 2x4Go RAM XMP and an 250GB EVO SSD

Does this is a premium PC ? 

Uh, I may be a bit late with this post. But the links of the entry PC are a bit weird ? Cheapes DDR3 1600 4GB ram - *clicks on NCIX amazon* Corsair Dominator Platinum shows up ._. ??? AMD proccesor - an i7 for 600 bucks shows up ? Can you please fix it ?

That Premuim PC, if it was to have to have 2 GTX 780 in SLI later should it have a better PSU.

I would argue that the PC has more exclusive than both consoles would ever have if you consider current games, new games, old games, ancient(?) games, indie games, doujin, MMOs (there's like an infinite number of them out there), and a lot of hidden niche games (there are a lot out there and some of them are really good as well). Game mods are exclusive to the PC too (Skyrim is pretty much timeless now)... If ever I would buy a console, it's for those JRPGs exclusive to the PS4 that would never get a chance to go to the PC. Even handhelds are becoming less of an option considering the advent of the Shield and other stuff like it.

Linux -  I am kinda scratchin my head at your entry level rig choice.  Im curious why you spent the money on an SSD?  Just a luxury you have gotten too used too?  

When I heard you were going to do this I spent some time pricing one out myself though I was lazy and only used newegg so maybe could even get it cheaper if actually shopped around.   You guys tell me what you think.

CPU -  AMD 760K Richland  -  Same FM2 system but pure CPU wise might be better.  Since you cannot to my knowledge crossfire the 7700 he used with that APU I think the APU might be a bit of a waste here.  Am I missing something on that front?  

Memory -  TEAM  Vulcan 8gh  PC3 12800  (does have the heat spreaders).  Not the memory I like to use personally but this is a budget built.  

MOBO -  BIOSTAR AMD A55MD2 Ver. 7.0  -  Yeah its on the light end here but not going for OC wizardry again,  entry level board

HDD -  Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB    -  I think the consoles are 500gb drives and prolly not as good as this one.  Its not an SSD and is on the small side but unlike the consoles if you fill this one up you can plug in another one next too it.  

PSU -  RAIDMAX RX-450K 450W  -  Thats my cringe worthy moment was picking this PSU.  I spent over an hour trying to configure this system and still get a better PSU and just couldn't.  I think Linus used a craptastic PSU too though.  

Case -  Fractal Design Core 1000 -  I personally like it better than the N200 and since I picked a micro atx board this was a great 35 dollar choice.  

OS -  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  OEM 

GPU MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC  -  This is what I compromised on the PSU and the HDD for.  My goal was to not get close too,  not match,  but surpass the PS4 and Xbone performance and details.  

I only used newegg for this and the priced out specs were 549 USD.  If you actually used the rebates in the parts listed you can get a KB and mouse and even find your local gamestop that has not went out of business and get a used Xbox 360 controller if you want that console feel.  

So whats everyones thoughts  ?